Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Changing Manual Transmission Oil
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Heating the oil was a step I could have used (I did my last drain and fill in January last year) and with a new trans going in this week ( Pray ) I'll be doing it more regularly, like 500-1000-then some interval after that, once things are settled. Thanks for the reminder on the extension, too.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

For my van -- Trans lube change during the Summer Olympics... coolant change during the Winter Olympics.

Marathon and Nordic Combined are the ideal events: Plenty of time and do not require close attention to follow.

I use the IV method shown - like that big funnel, will try that next time.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

If you are worried about the swarf just get a seconded magnetic drain plug and swap in a clean plug every few thousand miles. The cost and labor of doing this are both very low and thus you are more apt to do this than changing the oil out repeatedly.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
If you are worried about the swarf just get a seconded magnetic drain plug and swap in a clean plug every few thousand miles. The cost and labor of doing this are both very low and thus you are more apt to do this than changing the oil out repeatedly.

Are you suggesting swapping out the magnetic plug w/out changing the fluid?

Is this done with a quick remove of the dirty plug and replace with the clean plug? I'm sure that leaving the fill plug in the trans will slow the fluid loss so does a quick swap lose less than a cup of fluid?

Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Is this done with a quick remove of the dirty plug and replace with the clean plug? I'm sure that leaving the fill plug in the trans will slow the fluid loss so does a quick swap lose less than a cup of fluid?

Thanks.

Do the swap in cold temps and you'll barely loose any fluid....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Thanks.

Cold oil and quick fingers should keep the loss at a few ounces. It would pay to have a rag or something on hand to block the flow in case you flub up and drop the replacement plug. It would be a good idea to fully loosen the fill plug and then retighten it before loosening the drain plug in case the vent is plugged and the case is under pressure.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

^^^ Thanks. Seems simple enough.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

That is one fine method, WT. 👍🏼

Think I'll get a spare plug, and a rubber cork. Awesome idea. Cool

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Just to add a thought here make sure the fill plug has been loosened and tightened as WildThings suggest if only for the reason that if something does happen where you drain all the oil out the drain plug you know you can get the fill plug opened to refill it.
The Fill Plug has had it's share of cuss words!

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

A method I've used when I forgot to put a crush washer in was to CLEAN both drain and fill locations very thoroughly, then rig up a shop vac to the Fill hole, run the vacuum and pull the drain, replace. Works with engine oil too but be aware of the breather leak..
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
A method I've used when I forgot to put a crush washer in was to CLEAN both drain and fill locations very thoroughly, then rig up a shop vac to the Fill hole, run the vacuum and pull the drain, replace. Works with engine oil too but be aware of the breather leak..

No crush washer on the trans that I know of...

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
CLEAN both drain and fill locations
.... rig up a shop vac to the Fill hole
run the vacuum
pull the drain, replace

Dang Bobby I knew about that method but forgot. Thanks for dredging it up.
A great way to check drain magnets.

Who’s gonna test & report?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

I wonder how much dirt you'd suck into your transmission through the atmospheric bleed opening doing that.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I wonder how much dirt you'd suck into your transmission through the atmospheric bleed opening doing that.

I modified the vent on my tranny.

Below is a pic before it was installed.

I added a hose that hangs off the side like an elephant trunk. With this mod, it would be easy to avoid sucking dirt (durt as my oldest grandson says)..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

^^^ That becomes the perfect port to apply a controlled vacuum to so you can pull the drain plug and leave it open all afternoon w/out losing a drop. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:

Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Vent is too small for the vacuum necessary. What can a vacuum pull, 5 psi (of 14 total)?

You need the volume of the filler hole (which is same size as the drain hole). Waldo if a little dirt got sucked in that’s nothing compared to the metal thats been circulating (and will be removed under the “new maintenance regime” Wink ).

My foggy memory is suggesting that dirt entering the vent hole is caught in a “cavity” that it doesn’t get into the oil. (On a Syncro) but not sure on 2wd. Can the vent hole area can be brushed off cleaned on the outside?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

It might come in from all the seals around the axle flanges, shifter, and input shaft. Those seals are designed to keep oil in, but not to prevent negative pressure from drawing in air and crud.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Not that I am going to attempt this suggested method of changing magnetic plugs, but considering the comments, size of the drain hole, etc., are there any thoughts on the approximate amount of vacuum required to "hold" the oil without it puking out?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
It might come in from all the seals around the axle flanges, shifter, and input shaft. Those seals are designed to keep oil in, but not to prevent negative pressure from drawing in air and crud.

Actually many transmissions run negative pressure because the case vent valves let air out, but not back in.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Changing Manual Transmission Oil Reply with quote

During that time where you hook up the vacuum and then until you getthe plug out, vacuum is maxed. At least the shift shaft is not moving and drive flanges are not turning, oil is cold, thick.

Maybe to just pull the plug out and shove another magnetic plug in quickly is good enough.

If you do it after the vans been parked for a couple weeks, the oil that departs your trans is “dregs” from the bottom, with the most settled metal. Its like a stool sample. If u see a lot of corn in it..... Rolling Eyes

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: