Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:38 pm    Post subject: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

I thought I'd put together a How To for the split and oval rear axle seal replacement. This is for the style of bearing retainers with the lip on the cap which is technically all the way up to split case 1957 I believe.

If your axle tube has the lip shown in the picture and the matching lip on the bearing cap, this is for you. Another hint is that your paper seals that come in the kit will not fit on the face of the axle tube because the lip is too large in diameter for the paper gasket to fit over. On this version, the paper gasket is not used at all.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

First piece to go on is the inner bearing spacer, it has a flat side and a tapered side. The tapered side is round and serves to fit nicely against the curved base of the axle. The other side is flat and gives the inner race of the bearing a flat surface to rest on.

Next, the large ball bearing goes on (SKF 6306). Slide it on over the splines as far as you can with your fingers then use a drift and a hammer to carefully tap on the inner race to drive it down. Do not tap on the outer race! Work around the inner race at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock tapping. You must move around the race to keep the bearing from getting cocked on the axle shaft.

As the bearing gets closer to the axle tube, position the tube so the outer race of the bearing can slip into the opening in the axle tube. Keep tapping that inner race until the sound and feel change telling you it is fully seated. Approximately two thirds the width of the bearing should be sticking out of the axle tube.

Next, I put a thin smear of black RTV sealer on the axle tube outside of the flange. The backing plate will seal to this surface. This is not a mandatory step, but this can be a leak spot so no harm in doing so.

Now the backing plate can go on. Be sure the back surface is clean and dry. I assembled the brakes on the backing plate first but you may find it easier to do that once the backing plate is bolted to the axle. Either way, be sure to properly orient the backing plate so the brake cylinder is in the right position for your application. It will be either at 12 or 6 o'clock.

Slip the backing plate so it is over the flange and sitting flush on the axle tube surface where the black RTV was smeared. You can see the flange in the picture between the outer race and the backing plate.

Next on is the small washer. It sits right on the bearing inner race.

Next is the large O-ring. Carefully slip it over the outer race of the bearing so it sits in that gap between the outer race and the backing plate, right over the flange.

Next on is the bearing cap. You should have already installed the wheel seal into the bearing cap so the outer surface is full seated in the cap. You'll notice the outer edge of the seal edge of the seal rests on a lip inside the bearing cap. The seal must be fully seated against this lip.

Notice the matching lip on the outer edge of the bearing cap. This surface is going to squeeze the large o-ring against the axle tube lip to create the main seal around the bearing.

I put a bit of bearing grease on the inside of the bearing cap seal so the outer spacer slips in smoothly. I also put a bit of black RTV on the outer surface of the bearing cap, outside of the lip. Again, this is not required but can help prevent leaks.

Next, bolt down the bearing cap. There are special bolts and spring washers you should use. Don't use others, and don't use non spring washers. Torque these four bolts to 43 ft lb.

Next is the small o-ring. You can certainly install this over the outer washer before the bearing cap and seal are put on, but I like to use the thick outer spacer to push it evenly down the splined shaft.

Next is the thick outer spacer. This also has a flat side and a tapered side. The tapered side goes toward the small o-ring to make the inner seal of the axle. The brake drum puts pressure on the spacer and thus the small o-ring which is why you may have leaks until your brake drum is fully torqued.

The blue seal rides on the thick outer spacer so it is important that the surface is as glassy smooth and free from any distortions as possible. If not, over time, the inner lip on the blue seal will be torn or worn away and you'll get some leaking.

Some folks prefer to place the outer spacer inside the blue seal before slipping the whole works on the splined shaft. This is fine too, just be sure to put a thin layer of grease on the outer spacer and have that small o-ring in place.

Even after all the seals and RTV, some small amount of transmission oil may weep past all these seals. This is why the oil slinger is needed on the drum. Be sure it is installed, and oil can get out the tube. If It's missing, the oil will get sprayed on the shoes and drums.

Slip on the drum and tighten the castle nut to 217 ft lbs. Go a tad bit tighter (rather than looser) if you need to orient the nut to be able to install the large cotter pin. Of course, do the final tightening when the car is off the jack and on the ground. Do not use an impact wrench to tighten this nut! Do not guess at the torque. Drop some coin on a good torque wrench.

Happy driving Smile

Last edited by nlorntson on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:28 pm; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks!

""Slip on the drum and tighten the castle nut to 253 ft lbs.""

I thought it was 217 ft lbs for Split and Oval and then a bit tighter to be able to install the large cotter pin.Never had problems.

Regards.
62ItalianRagtop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

Wow ... thank you very much for this HOW TO
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

Repair manual VW Bug, torque specification for the castle nut : swing axle 217 ft lbs, irs axle 253 ft lbs.

If it is necessary : both a bit tighter to be able to install the large cotter pin.

Regards
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

Torque value is updated above. Too much work on buses lately Smile

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

Really nice and illustrated "how-to" Nancy (and Dick). Always helpful to see it in great photos and explanation.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Really nice and illustrated "how-to" Nancy (and Dick). Always helpful to see it in great photos and explanation.

Bill Bowman

Thanks Bill.

No hubby involved in this project.

He stays far away from the mechanical side of our restorations, and I stay equally far away from the metalwork, welding, and rust repair. It's a match made in heaven..

He probably doesn't have any idea what car this tranny is for or that this thread exists. Laughing
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

Just one tip, RTV sealants very greatly. Black is a good choice, but they do make a gray specifically for gear oil.

Always make sure you have matching axle tubes and bearing caps. A lot of times you’ll see these mixed up, my 54 had bearing caps from a 58+ car. Finding the early caps can be a chore, but make all the difference in the world when it comes to annoying leaks.

This post is awesome and perfect for the early cars
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nevohteeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

First piece to go on is the inner bearing spacer, it has a flat side and a tapered side. The tapered side is round and serves to fit nicely against the curved base of the axle. The other side is flat and gives the inner race of the bearing a flat surface to rest on.

Hello everyone,

I have a question about those two pictures.
As you say, the flat side of the inner spacer should fit the inner race of the bearing. To do so, the inner spacer should be flush mounted to the tube, which doesn't seem to be the case on the picture.

I have the same problem on my car : if I let the tube on vertical position for mounting facility (and for the health of my back Smile ) the axle goes down in such a way the inner spacer is a little bit inside the tube (maybe 1 millimeter or so just like on tour picture) and then there would be a little gap between it and the bearing.

Ho to avoid that? Does it fit well once we torque the cover or something?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

Nevohteeb wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a question about those two pictures.
As you say, the flat side of the inner spacer should fit the inner race of the bearing. To do so, the inner spacer should be flush mounted to the tube, which doesn't seem to be the case on the picture.

I have the same problem on my car : if I let the tube on vertical position for mounting facility (and for the health of my back Smile ) the axle goes down in such a way the inner spacer is a little bit inside the tube (maybe 1 millimeter or so just like on tour picture) and then there would be a little gap between it and the bearing.

Ho to avoid that? Does it fit well once we torque the cover or something?

The tube and thus the bearing retainer can side in and out on the axle shaft until everything is bolted together and properly torqued. Don't worry that the picture appears to show the spacer inset to the retainer. If I were to push down on the retainer the spacer would appear to be higher than the retainer.
Nevohteeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:

The tube and thus the bearing retainer can side in and out on the axle shaft until everything is bolted together and properly torqued.

Thx for the answer. That's something I missed so far.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

Use some oil on the orings, will help with seating. They won’t hangup.
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

I grease the spacer before I put it through the seal. Such an archaic set-up. It always amazes me that they don't crap out quicker than they do.
Nevohteeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

D. Haviland wrote:
I grease the spacer before I put it through the seal.

Inner diameter or outer diameter? I guess it's the outer diameter such that it turns with the axe.

D. Haviland wrote:

Such an archaic set-up. It always amazes me that they don't crap out quicker than they do.

That may sounds stupid but I started my bug restoration to learn things. And as I dismantle and rebuild things, I'm always asking to myself "how did a 70 years ago engineer get to this specific solution?" And I love that. Smile

Last edited by Nevohteeb on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

Oil on the lips of the seal too. Just a little to keep it from burning. I dont want grease flinging off in there.
kwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

I have a long breaker bar. I (now) weigh 150 lbs. So for 217 ft lbs I out the closest edge of my shoe 1.45 ft out from the center point of the breaker bar/socket. I then slowly step on the bar (when it is parallel to the ground). DO NOT JUMP on it! Logically that SHOULD be the required torque. I sometimes slowly step off of the bar and then slowly back on just to be sure it actually is at that torque.
Thoughts?
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

kwalker wrote:
I have a long breaker bar. I (now) weigh 150 lbs. So for 217 ft lbs I out the closest edge of my shoe 1.45 ft out from the center point of the breaker bar/socket. I then slowly step on the bar (when it is parallel to the ground). DO NOT JUMP on it! Logically that SHOULD be the required torque. I sometimes slowly step off of the bar and then slowly back on just to be sure it actually is at that torque.
Thoughts?

Borrow a torque wrench from your local FLAPS?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

kwalker wrote:
Thoughts?

Yes, I have used this method and it works fine.
The hole lines up for me and I've never had any issues.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Got_Air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

This is amazing! I have really struggled with this. Thanks for the step by step. Very helpful!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nevohteeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: How To: Split and oval rear wheel seal installation Reply with quote

I forgot to answer, but indeed I managed to rebuild everything following your method.
Pretty straightforward.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: