Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobinyelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

'92 Eurovan 5spd Manual Trans

The relay rod (horizontal rod w/ nylon balls at each end-looks like a dumb bell) detached from perished retaining bushing (at transmission end).

I have the diagram, and read a hit to use aluminum wire for a temporary fix, but unsure how to repair it in-place with new bushing for inner ball socket.

Would appreciate advice from anyone who has done the repair! I am hoping the new bushing can be hand press-fitted into the bracket, and the rod be levered inboard to pop the ball (maybe lubed w/ some silicon grease) to the left and into the bushing (from the top of the engine compartment w/out extensive disassembly), but I'd like to hear from anyone who has done it.

There is so much "stuff" in the way, it's hard to even reach the spot, much less work on it! It would be easy if the engine was not installed but even getting one hand down there is a pain!

I did some searches, but no luck.

The part that deteriorated is the bushing shown as part of #45 in the image below. It does not appear there is anything holding the ball into the other (rectangular) end in Part #49? The deteriorated bushing is shown in my hand.

The actual rubberized bushing pressed into #45 (into which the ball#42 if fitted) is VW/Audi Part # 701711166, and I just ordered one from ECS Tuning if I can persuade it in somehow.

In the photo, the ball that must be fitted into the bushing is that tiny white dot in the middle of the photo, kind of above and left in the bend of the heater hose, and up and to the right of the bend in the brake booster hose, and down below. The bracket for the bushing is next to the ball. "UP" in the photo is actually looking left in the vehicle, and the left in the photo is toward the front of the vehicle.

Thanks,
Bob

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

bobinyelm wrote:

The part that deteriorated is the bushing shown as part of #45 in the image below. It does not appear there is anything holding the ball into the other (rectangular) end in Part #49? The deteriorated bushing is shown in my hand.

If I remember correctly and from the image, the bracket that holds #45 does come out to press in the bushing outside of the van. I've otherwise have gotten bushing to go in with channel locks, although its a pain getting them in, in place. You should be able to get more access in there if you pull the radiator into the maintenance position. And also pulling the belly pan and drivers side wheel off may get you in there better.

Nothing goes into #49 except for #41. I've removed #49 in order to move the shift rod over to remove #45 before. You're right though. Not much room to work.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

I also removed the bracket that holds bushing #45 in order to install the bushing on the bench. I reinstalled the bracket in place then forced the plastic ball into it using a wooden lever.

It’s a pita to work in there. I found both plastic balls showed little wear so I did not replace them.

I now carry a bushing #45 as a spare. My bushing failed completely on a road trip in Montana, and the car would not shift at all. I found a wood chunk on the side of the road......that plus a couple of zip ties and I was able to jury rig a fix to get me home.
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

Just curious but is there any crossover in these parts with Mk3 or Mk4 cars?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

There’s a similar bushing on the other end of the shift linkage closer to the stick that should be checked also. When that one goes, you lose connectivity to the transmission. Although it is easier to access.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Just curious but is there any crossover in these parts with Mk3 or Mk4 cars?

The b4v I had, was cable shift. I think I saw a cable shift kit for eurovans as well.
bobinyelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

I guess there were two types of balls-soft rubberized ones, and later, hard nylon balls.

The white ones seldom show wear.
M-BOB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

Hi, I bought a bushing kit from Ebay in the UK like this one:

https://www.cafr.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-VW-T4-Gear-Li...mp;vxp=mtr

I remember when it broke down, I made a field repair by making a ball out of a synthetic cork wine bottle cap !

Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobinyelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

My balls (the ones on my shift linkage, anyway) are the hard ones (white nylon) and don't appear worn.

The bushing had fallen apart (you could flake it apart with a finger nail), and literally fell out of its bracket when the lip that retains the ball fell away, so I ordered the bushing only.

I'm pretty sure a new bushing will retain the used ball.
bobinyelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
There’s a similar bushing on the other end of the shift linkage closer to the stick that should be checked also. When that one goes, you lose connectivity to the transmission. Although it is easier to access.

I'll check that one out, but I suspect the one closer to the engine got oil soaked and chemically decomposed.

If the other one is bad (when I get the van up in the air) I'll order one as well.
My drawing doesn't show the back one. Would you possibly have a part # for it?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

it's the rest of your picture. Disregard the red markings, as I pulled the image from the web. I was referencing #35, which I've had crumble on me. Also, #24 and #17 can go and you won't likely have issues shifting, but if its worn and your replace it, the shifting will be nice and crisp.

bobinyelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
it's the rest of your picture. Disregard the red markings, as I pulled the image from the web. I was referencing #35, which I've had crumble on me. Also, #24 and #17 can go and you won't likely have issues shifting, but if its worn and your replace it, the shifting will be nice and crisp.

Thanks for the picture.

Off hand, do you remember of the #35 is the same bushing that is part of #45?

I can see that same material, same deterioration (though maybe less oil residue). I can order a couple or so and have them handy.

Bob

I did notice that 24 is tight-didn't check 17 (yet).
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

The set that Europarts SD sells, shows they are a different size, which makes sense. In the middle being 45 and the two on the right being the two 35s.

http://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?cID=329&PID=3780
bobinyelm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

Joshwa wrote:
The set that Europarts SD sells, shows they are a different size, which makes sense. In the middle being 45 and the two on the right being the two 35s.

http://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?cID=329&PID=3780

Perfect!

Thank-you!

Bob
squashmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

If anyone is still out there ... on my Eurovan 2.5 manual the worst shifter linkage wear seems to be at the base of the lever, ie parts 10, 39 and 35 in the drawing. Does anybody else have experience with this?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

Yes. I had some sloppiness down there as well. Turned out that I had only one of #17 in place. There should be one on each side of the base of #10 around #39. I put two new #17 and it was a lot better. I had also noticed that #24 had worn, which was causing looseness as well. At any rate, I basically replaced (2)#17 and #24 to fix my own sloppiness at the base of the shifter.

https://europarts-sd.com/item.asp?PID=5256
https://europarts-sd.com/bushing-shifterbasemt1992-1996.asp
wannabecamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

Link
[/url]
SteveZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1992 Eurovan. How do I repair manual shift relay linkage balls? Reply with quote

The bushings at 35 on both sides needed replacement when I had trouble shifting, so check and/or replace those while you're at it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: