Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear Window Defogger
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Rear Window Defogger Reply with quote

So I have to change the seals on the front window and back window soon because theyre letting some water get in but at the moment I wanted to look at my back defogger and figured im going to have to remove the glass maybe I can fix this when I have to pull it out.

This is what I know. On my dash the light will pop on if I flip the switch a few time, not on every flip tho. I took a test light and the wire coming for the driver side wall lights up but none of the lines across the window will and the wire from the passenger side wall does not either. I'm not sure if the passenger side is supposed to be a ground or another power.
Taking a closer look the metal looks a bit green from rusting.

I'm not sure what I should do from this point on, does anyone have any knowledge of fixing their rear defroster?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Defogger Reply with quote

There should be a relay under the rear seat which allows current to flow from the battery to the element. The switch at the dash is for switching the relay from normally off to on. That switch also supplies power to the instrument light.

Those old rear window elements have been around for many years, so it is hard to know if they are still good, until you can apply juice to them. Do not get dissapointed, if after all the work, it fails to respond. They barely responded when new! The one in my Bug is hardly functional, all the components are present and operate, it is just old and slow. I believe there to be a semi corroded conductor under the copper plate soldered to the window grid, but I am not eager to go tearing into a window grid connector plate. Way too many other items to attend to first!

Good luck, hoping yours works awesome!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Defogger Reply with quote

The passenger side is a ground.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Defogger Reply with quote

Your heating elements (grids) are no doubt shot--like most other bug owners. You can buy a Frostfighter grid kit, so check them out. It's best to replace with the window out.

It also sounds like your switch needs replacement, but, as stated, the relay under the seat could be wonky.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
MERKURmeow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Defogger Reply with quote

There's a defroster switch?
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Defogger Reply with quote

MERKURmeow wrote:
There's a defroster switch?

Yes under the speaker (grill left of the cluster gauge) and above the fuse box. It should turn on a green light in the cluster gauge below the 20 mark.

If your back window has lines across it you should have a rear defroster but I'm not sure if standard beetles had them, ive seen some without them, or it might just be someone replaced the window with a regular without a defroster.
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Defogger Reply with quote

First hand experience, I've tried the frost fighter route, I'd suggest you spend your money on a new rear window. Rear windows are (or were) still available and will work way better than the frost fighter.
MERKURmeow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear Window Defogger Reply with quote

I have all of the rear defroster equipment except the switch. Everything is connected except that. I verified it's not hanging under the dash or tucked in somewhere in the car, then I looked from the other side near the radio, hazard switch, cigarette lighter, speedo, nowhere to be found.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: