Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle - PROBABLY SOLVED
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle - PROBABLY SOLVED Reply with quote

This sound just started a few weeks ago on my 1978 fuel injected 2.0Liter type 4 engine. It is completely stock with hydraulic lifters, and I wanted to see if any of the type 4 guru's out there have any ideas what this might be.

Link

I initially thought this could be a bad lifter, so I pulled the valve covers to check that all the rockers were tight, and they were. I then removed the valve gear to remove the lifters from cylinders 2 and 4, and they were fully pumped up, so I cleaned them, re-bled them in a jar of oil, re-installed them to the engine, adjusted valve clearance on all valves to 2 turns (completely cold), and still have the exact same knocking noise after re-starting the engine.

The hydraulic lifters are generally very quiet. They will sometimes bleed down overnight and will clatter for about 2-3 seconds after cold startup, then everything is quiet. It takes about 2 minutes of running before the random knocking noise that you hear in the video kicks in, and it does not get any worse or better after the engine is fully warmed up.

Also, I have been running 5W-30 dino oil with ZDDP additive for years and recently switched to full synthetic straight Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. The hydraulic lifters don't bleed down as quickly and pump up faster with the Rotella T6, vs previous oil, but the knocking noise started shortly after the oil change. Probably coincidence, but you never know....

Last edited by 69BahamaYellow on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

If you take the oil cap off, and stick a piece of breather hose in your ear to use as a "sound funnel" can you hear the sound more clearly?

You can also use a 1-foot socket extension as a mechanical stethoscope by placing on something like a valve cover and listening to it intently.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

well, that seems timed to valvetrain,
but it could also be timed to power stroke of a cylinder with a semi-collapsed
piston skirt, -those usually tend to quiet down once the engine is fully heated.
And they can run happy til the next rebuild too.
Maybe pull plug wires one at a time, the wire that kills the noise will be
the one with a bad skirt, if the noise does not go away with any wire pulled,
it's slop in the valvetrain. Good luck.
scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

timvw7476wrote:

Quote:
Maybe pull plug wires one at a time, the wire that kills the noise will be
the one with a bad skirt, if the noise does not go away with any wire pulled,
it's slop in the valvetrain.

X2

If the noise is still there check your valve lift. Take the valve cover off and crank it over (with coil disabled) and watch lift of valves. Sounds like a lifter or a cam that is worn beyond the pump level of the lifter maybe. Also check spring tension. Put a screw driver on the valve retainer or valve stem and see what kind of pressure you have. Ideally check the valve springs when the piston is at the bottom of the stroke or at least 40* off TDC. Sadly it sounds like an expensive knock to fix. If it's the piston skirt ignore it until it gets noisy all the time.

It could also be a wrist pin stuck . Try Rislone "engine treatment" or Marvel Mystery Oil might help if it's a varnished/sludged/stiff wrist pin making the noise.

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

this is a hard procedure to describe, but bear with me

if you "float" the throttle between say 1200-2k and the noise goes away, but comes back on the "decel" or return to idle, my money would be on a loose cam sprocket

very long ass story short I had one that sounded like a diesel at idle. you could give it gas and it was quiet as a watch. ripped the engine down, found no smoking gun.

I went to move the cam that was sitting on the bench gear down and heard a "POP" what the hell I thought....the rivets hogged out and it was the cam gear slapping due to the play....when you would load the engine, it would slam against the rivet and be quiet. at idle, it would rack back and forth

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

Loose cam gear. Remove the oil pump for access
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
this is a hard procedure to describe, but bear with me

if you "float" the throttle between say 1200-2k and the noise goes away, but comes back on the "decel" or return to idle, my money would be on a loose cam sprocket

very long ass story short I had one that sounded like a diesel at idle. you could give it gas and it was quiet as a watch. ripped the engine down, found no smoking gun.

I went to move the cam that was sitting on the bench gear down and heard a "POP" what the hell I thought....the rivets hogged out and it was the cam gear slapping due to the play....when you would load the engine, it would slam against the rivet and be quiet. at idle, it would rack back and forth

X2...spot on....but also possibly not the cam gear actually loose......but this is also the sound you can get when the cam thrust bearing is shot.....and you have a cam bolt (aftermarket cam only) dinging in an oil pump nut.

I would at minimum pull the muffler, shroud and oil pump and inspect the cam gear. Either way....loose cam gear or bad thrust.....fix it while you can. When it finally shears off a cam bolt, rivet or oil pump nut....the engine will die violently. Ray
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

I have a stethoscope and it sounds like the noise is coming from the area of the cam gear, but the knocking noise can be heard all over the place, so I decided to pull the exhaust, engine tin and fan shroud to get the oil pump off, but it appears the cam gear is nice and tight on the cam shaft

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

before I did this I tried the rubber hose in the oil filler (good tip by Asiab3), and I can hear the knock, but not as good as with the stethoscope. I also tried the cam float test that Skillz described, but anything above1500 RPM or so just makes the knock go away

Could the wear on the oil pump shaft be causing it?

I looked for any marks on the motor mount, fan shroud or any other possible external engine spots, and I can't find anything suspect. I did find a marble in one of my heat exchangers, so at least I finally found the source of 1 annoying rattle Very Happy

I guess since I've come this far, I might as well pull the engine and start tearing it down to check for piston slap or rod knock. I probably should have shorted plug wires to test for that, before yanking the oil pump, but when I rebuilt the engine (about 50,000 miles ago) I replaced the cam with an aftermarket cam and gear from Webcam, so I too was betting on loose cam gear. There's a reason VW went with Rivets over bolts, but I guess I can now confirm the low profile bolts and cut washers from Webcam, installed per their specs, will hold the gear on tight without loosening up over time.

Place your bets. Piston slap or rod knock. I'm going with piston slap. Confused
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
I have a stethoscope and it sounds like the noise is coming from the area of the cam gear, but the knocking noise can be heard all over the place, so I decided to pull the exhaust, engine tin and fan shroud to get the oil pump off, but it appears the cam gear is nice and tight on the cam shaft

before I did this I tried the rubber hose in the oil filler (good tip by Asiab3), and I can hear the knock, but not as good as with the stethoscope. I also tried the cam float test that Skillz described, but anything above1500 RPM or so just makes the knock go away

I looked for any marks on the motor mount, fan shroud or any other possible external engine spots, and I can't find anything suspect. I did find a marble in one of my heat exchangers, so at least I finally found the source of 1 annoying rattle Very Happy

I guess since I've come this far, I might as well pull the engine and start tearing it down to check for piston slap or rod knock. I probably should have shorted plug wires to test for that, before yanking the oil pump, but when I rebuilt the engine (about 50,000 miles ago) I replaced the cam with an aftermarket cam and gear from Webcam, so I too was betting on loose cam gear. There's a reason VW went with Rivets over bolts, but I guess I can now confirm the low profile bolts and cut washers from Webcam, installed per their specs, will hold the gear on tight without loosening up over time.

Place your bets. Piston slap or rod knock. I'm going with piston slap. Confused

First...Kudos!...for being industrious and pulling the oil pump to check the cam bolts and oil pump.

Just for the heck of it see if you can move the cam fore and aft.

Also...is this a manual or automatic? With automatics...you an sometimes have thrust issues and get one or more of the flex plate bolts that tap against the case that can make this noise.

You already checked your rocker side play from what you noted.

The oil pump tang does have wear but its not abnormal....just high miles. It should not be causing this noise....unless you have excessive fore and aft movement of the cam dancing against the tang.

Also check for exhaust leaks right at the head. While I agree from the sound....it "sounds" like something internal...piston slap...lifter not following the cam lobe smoothly and smacking on it....but sometimes I have heard exhaust leaks right at the head especially with a loose exhaust stud that can sound almost like that at the right listening position. Ray
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

if it is not the cam gear, check the fan and hub to be sire it hasn't been walking. Check the end play too but it sounds too light to be a flywheel knock. Also have a friend crank it over with the coil wire off and see if any of the valves act jerky like a broken or collapsed spring. I would also suggest pulling the fan belt off and running it to see if removing the alternator load changes the sound. You might do that before checking the hub.

My money was on the cam gear but clearly that is not it. One thing I thought I saw during the video was that there was a slight change in pulley speed at the second the knocks occurred. If so that might indicate that the pulley is loose and rocking on the key. Catch it now if that is the case.

Wrist pins normally don't come loose or lock up because the pin floats both in the piston and rod. The only time I have see wrist pin failures is when Teflon buttons were used. Once they fracture and fall apart the pin starts hitting the cylinder wall.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

2 questions -

1> Is that an A/C compressor, and if so have you put a stethoscope on it and the idler?

2> The sound seems loudest around the EGR area. Have you listened with a stethoscope in that area? How about a rubber hose?
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

69BahamaYellow wrote:
but it appears the cam gear is nice and tight on the cam shaft

-did you actually check to make sure the cam bolts were tight and that the gear was not slipping/moving?

-i would disassemble that oil pump and thoroughly evaluate it. the shaft ("upper" bore in your upside-down pic) is recessed way too far into the housing, and it's not supposed to be like that. the end of the steel shaft is supposed to be flush with the end of the bore in the pump housing.
there is also what looks to be unusual wear to the drive 'tooth'. not at the "bottom" of the tooth as seen in your pic (that is typical wear), but at the "top" of the tooth on the same side (that is not typical wear).
can you rotate the oil pump smoothly by hand?

-not sure if this has been mentioned, but check the fan hub keyway, the torque of the fan hub, as well as the torque for the bolts that hold the fan to the hub.

at 1:00 of the video, i saw something on the left side of the engine, rotating underneath. did (or does) this bus have air conditioning? if so, is the compressor still hooked up/being driven by the belt?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

I'm curious what the cam does when you rotate the engine slowly with the alternator nut, does it snap forward suddenly a few degrees every 1/2 turn of the engine by any chance?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

^Yeah, what bus daddy mentioned^
that cam gear may not have the decent teeth you think it has.
Way to tackle it in a hurry!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I'm curious what the cam does when you rotate the engine slowly with the alternator nut, does it snap forward suddenly a few degrees every 1/2 turn of the engine by any chance?

Hmmmm.....thinking of a damaged crank timing gear tooth?......or ......something striking the thrust bearing flange.......or.....a bent cam.....or some other cam related issue causing axial movement of the cam?

Yes.....the comment from Hazetguy on the wear to the tang......on basically all four points (was looking at the main wear on the lower right corner and missed the other edges).....as if the shaft is moving in and out?....or possibly that the gear is "helicoptering" and causing that wear.

One other thing that is "possible"....though I have never seen it happen. If that short oil pump idler shaft has side play.....perhaps the oil pump gears are chattering and almost binding every so many revs.

This will be interesting. Ray
MGBBob80
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

Following the thread. Lots to learn here!

1978 Type 2 Transporter. 2L engine (engine code GE), Fuel Injection, 4-speed manual transmission.His name is Buddy.

"I reserve the right to be better tomorrow than I am today."
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Hmmmm.....thinking of a damaged crank timing gear tooth?......or ......something striking the thrust bearing flange.......or.....a bent cam.....or some other cam related issue causing axial movement of the cam?

Yes.....the comment from Hazetguy on the wear to the tang......on basically all four points (was looking at the main wear on the lower right corner and missed the other edges).....as if the shaft is moving in and out?....or possibly that the gear is "helicoptering" and causing that wear.

One other thing that is "possible"....though I have never seen it happen. If that short oil pump idler shaft has side play.....perhaps the oil pump gears are chattering and almost binding every so many revs.

This will be interesting. Ray

I've seen it on type 1's where an aftermarket gear eats up the teeth to razor thin slivers, the OP's gear looks odd in the middle (not OG) so you never know. That may explain the marks on the coasting side of the pump dog that Hazetguy pointed out as well. The only odd thing is the oil is usually silver when that happens, but maybe the type 4 filter took care of that?
All of them made a noise like that at idle that went away at speed, it was very obvious when turning it over by hand and the lifters passed the tops of the lobes, they make a fairly loud click or snap noise as the cam jumps forward a little due to the backlash in the gear. If the cam is flipping the pump forward rapidly and then braking it's inertia it may create marks like that. Maybe..........., looking forward to more diagnosis or an autopsy, interesting stuff.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

It was a nice afternoon, so I pulled the engine after lunch, to really figure out what is going on.

First, good catch, Hazetguy, on the recessed idle shaft on the oil pump. I totally missed that when I removed it, but that ain't right, so I'll tear it down and see what gives. Maybe I put that shaft in backwards when I re-built it last...

Second - Yes, this bus has A/C, and I triple checked everything on it. It's butter. tensioner and idle pulley running smooth as silk, so that ain't it.

I had to stop for the evening, but I did get the injector runners and cooling tin off, and with the engine on a stand, I can get a good grip on the flywheel to turn the crankshaft back and forth. When I do that, I can clearly hear the knocking sound in the area of the cam gear. Something is loose, but the cam does not appear to moving axially at all. I'll put a dial indicator on it tomorrow and pull the distributor drive gear as well.

Pictures to follow, but with the knocking noise seeming to come from inside the case, I've already decided to pull the heads and jugs (that will either confirm or eliminate the possibility of piston slap). I'll split the case if I have to.

Regarding exhaust leaks or head leaks, there were none. no carbon tracing on any of the headers and no oil seepage from head to cylinder and cylinder to case. I should share that when I rebuilt the engine 50,000 miles ago, I dipped the cylinder base gaskets and head gaskets in a mixture of Indian head Aviation case sealer and alcohol to keep them stuck in place during re-assembly. It did a really good job sealing the joints. This is the first time I tried this on an air cooled VW, but I've built several of these motors over the years with nothing on the gaskets, and they always seem to weep a little oil from the cylinder joints. I know VW's recommendation now is to delete the head gaskets entirely, but I'm still not sold on that. Regardless, the Indian Head shelack thing seems to make a leak free joint.
69BahamaYellow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle - POSSIBLY SOLVED Reply with quote

Pulled the Heads and Cylinders today, and they look fine. The piston pins are a slopy fit in the con rods, but I did not change the small end bushings when I rebuilt it, so I'll probably re-bush them before it goes back together. Here's a few pics of the teardown. I guess one of the heads had a small leak. Didn't see it till I pulled the push rod tubes

After I got the pistons off, I could get a screwdriver on the cam shaft to check axial play. I believe this is my problem. The STP ZDDP additive I had been using with 5W-30 dino oil is thick like honey, so perhaps that was hiding the axial play on the cam shaft. The sound only started after changing to straight 5W-40 Shell Rotella T6, but maybe it would have started knocking anyway. Next step is to split the case and see what the problem is:

Link
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 Engine Knocking Noise at Idle Reply with quote

well - that is what happened to mine on my first build in 2009 using a new aftermarket Brazilian VW gear. The runout in it walked it (and the crankshaft) back and forth, opening the thrust up. Same thing happened to Colin using one of those Brazilian one size fits all cam gears too. If the cam isn't worn too bad on the thrust surfaces, I found that the kolbenschmidt cam bearings fit better than the Mahle ones as to thrust. What # cam gear came with that engine originally, do you know?

Glad you went the teardown route - it will be well worth while long term.

So we chalk this up to a cam gear.... can't ya hear me knocking.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: