Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mouse pee smell removal
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

Wasn't there an old thread in this forum about dealing with rodents and their bodily functions? I know I used to have it linked in my old computer, but not this one.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

Thank you all for your great suggestions.

On the Hantavirus precaution, I wore a respirator and gloves/goggles and misted everything down before I started vacuuming and scrubbing. Thought I took some photos, but guess I didn't. Here are a few when I was moving it from a lot we had sold over to the main house.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This bus is/will be a total resto so most if not all upholstery will be replaced. Carpet is non-original so it will come out too eventually. Yes, front grey fiberboards had drooped and I could tell they'd jumped from the wheel up there. Amazing! It will have to come out too.

I had a bunch of other stuff (seats, tables, icebox, spice shelves, etc and was getting worried they would destroy it all if I neglected it anymore. Bus is rusty and has many entrances, but I plugged all I could find with steel wool. Then I put bait and glue traps in it. I'll go back this Saturday and check on it and see if any of that worked. Oh and that detail product pic reminded me my neighbor runs a detail products company. I'll need to ask him what he might have.
http://coatsproducts.com/

Again, thanks for all the input!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

For dog pee, Nature's Miracle is a godsend. Let it soak and stay damp for a day, then dab it as dry as you can, then air it out. I would expect it would work on mouse pee, too.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
[img]

What the hell! That's not JFK's Ford Convertible. If a POS modern car requires that much blasting it just needs to be crushed.

But really, I agree that the right pressure of hot water washing does wonders on cleaning car interiors. It literally blasts away and completely replaces mouse pee with hot water. As long as you have as much energy and time to spend vacuuming and drying as you do hot washing- it's worth it.

I bought a RAV4 for my daughter that obviously had a discount odor elimination/dealer prep done on the interior. When I wet Rambo on he car with my HydroTek pressure washer it came out great with no residual smell- bad or medicinal.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

Its the hanta virus that you must be aware of when dealing with mice crap. Be careful as the virus does kill.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

Hogwashing works well on seats, bedding and most fabrics but if they got to headliner it’s got to be stripped to metal followed by a good wash then go back with new material. A cheap method of odor absorber ? Buy a ten lb. bag of charcoal slit it open and leave in car for a week or more, this works better with temps raised above 90 degrees.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

Part of the problem is where the issue is. If its in headliner or seat padding or a similar area, honestly don't know how you will get it out short of replacing the damaged pieces. I have a really nice 67 bug coming in this spring that the headliner was the mouse motel....We are planning on pulling it all out and replacing.

Hoping the other solutions offered may help, but not real optimistic.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

I don’t claim to be expert but have had some training. Before you thrown things away try an enzyme and odor removal product. Usually you saturate the item in question then rinse thoroughly, maybe twice. I’ve included pics of what’s known in the industry as “hogwashing”. This method is reserved for the worst jobs and odors. Dried vomit, feces, blood etc. key to this is picking a low humidity day with bright sunshine and having a extractor to remove as much water as possible. You’ll also want to place fans blowing air into the car and plan on several days to air it out. Follow this by obtaining professional odor removal product such as square D or circle D fire odor removal. 1 can does 10,000 square feet but would work on car as well follow labeled directions. I’m also showing you chemicals used in the industry, can’t get these at pep boyz . If they infested headliner it’s got to come out.

First pics show the enzyme odor soap being applied with pump sprayer followed by 5 to 10 minutes dwell time then high pressure rinse. Looks extreme but it works and this is what the shops do although they’d never tell you.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

I found that carpet shampoo and pet odor remover (available at the home improvement store) worked fairly well on my carpet.

You'll likely need to re-pad and upholster your seats and bed, and pull out the headliner to get all the stink out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

50/50 water vinegar solution, little dish soap (Dawn), start scrubbing.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Mouse pee smell removal Reply with quote

Finally cleaned out the '67 tintop Westy. Been 18 years since it was on the road. It had become a mouse motel on the farm. Was by far the worst infestation I'd ever seen.

Any good threads on getting the smell out as best as possible?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: