Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TrulyVintage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

I just watched Bullitt last night again

Then I ran across this ....

@ https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/detroit-aut...022006001/

@ https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/14/authenticating-the-bullitt-mustang

FJ
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

Ford announced a new version:

Link

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

Wheels should have been flat grey, at the very least. No grille badging, which is correct.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

Yeaa, I’ll be there tomorrow. Should be sweet! That, and the mid engine Corvette are both pretty interesting
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
Yeaa, I’ll be there tomorrow. Should be sweet! That, and the mid engine Corvette are both pretty interesting

Same here. The wife will be there for work and meetings in themorning and then it is my turn in the afternoon. Might be stuck going black tie on Friday night with her too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

Who said Retro was dead. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

Will they make one for the right hand drive crowd as well?

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

just saw on the news the first, number 1, 2018 Bullitt mustang sold for $300,000.00

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
just saw on the news the first, number 1, 2018 Bullitt mustang sold for $300,000.00

Was that at Barrett Jackson on Saturday night with the word "charity" involved by any chance? (I didn't watch any BJ this year so that's just a guess).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

Didnt see the BJ coverage, caught it on a news show. They just mentioned what the first one sold for.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

far rider wrote:
Didnt see the BJ coverage, caught it on a news show. They just mentioned what the first one sold for.

Yeah I saw this story ont he cbs news couple nigts ago. Steve McQueen himself tried to buy the car back from the family that had purchased it, they said hell no and their reasoning was that it had sentimental value and was now "part of the family." Yet 20 years later and it's fine to give it up. Guess "family" is a pretty relative term.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
far rider wrote:

Yeah I saw this story ont he cbs news couple nigts ago. Steve McQueen himself tried to buy the car back from the family that had purchased it, they said hell no and their reasoning was that it had sentimental value and was now "part of the family." Yet 20 years later and it's fine to give it up. Guess "family" is a pretty relative term.

I think you are confused. The original Bullitt car was not sold. The number 1 2019 Ford Bullitt tribute mustang (or whatever they call it) was sold.

$300,000 would be a bargain for the original car from the movie. Wink McQueen has been dead almost 40 years.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
sb001 wrote:
far rider wrote:

I think you are confused. The original Bullitt car was not sold. The number 1 2019 Ford Bullitt tribute mustang (or whatever they call it) was sold.

$300,000 would be a bargain for the original car from the movie. Wink McQueen has been dead almost 40 years.

A HELL OF A DEAL.

Valuation on that car is 3-5 million.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

MrBreeze wrote:
Ford announced a new version:

Link

The "driver" in the ad is the Grand Daughter of Steve McQueen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
sb001 wrote:
far rider wrote:

It was years ago that McQueen tried to buy back the car. Maybe we are talking about 2 separate things, but here's the news story I saw, it was just on the other night:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-return-of-a-hollywood-legend-steve-mcqueens-mustang/

And if anyone paid $300,000 for a "tribute" car that has no actual ties whatsoever to the film, they're a fooking idiot.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

Yes, I saw the original CBS story.

The family that has owned the Bullitt car since 1974 still owns it. It has been out of sight in a barn since 1980, now partly restored, and they let Ford borrow it for the unveiling of the tribute car.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Q-Dog wrote:
sb001 wrote:
far rider wrote:

It was years ago that McQueen tried to buy back the car. Maybe we are talking about 2 separate things, but here's the news story I saw, it was just on the other night:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-return-of-a-hollywood-legend-steve-mcqueens-mustang/

And if anyone paid $300,000 for a "tribute" car that has no actual ties whatsoever to the film, they're a fooking idiot.

It was for charity. They sold the tribute car at Barret Jackson to raise money for Boys Republic where McQueen grew up. So no not fooking stupid after all.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
jbbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/14/mustang-bullitt-found-real-mcqueen
Here's the story.
It's a great read.

69 OG paint Transporter
73' Super Beetle Champcar Endurance Roadracer
Patina my ass, that's a Rust Bucket!
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show Reply with quote

SOLD ! ... Mecum Auctions, January 10, 2020 Florida for $3.4 Million, $3.74 Total after fees, taxes ...

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1126764_the-final-scene-bullitt-mustang-sells-for-record-price
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: