Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 EZ Camper
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Stock Height or Lowered?
Stock with Bias Ply
80%
 80%  [ 37 ]
flip spindle/ straight axle kit (mild)
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
SLAM IT! (narrowed beam, offset spring plates etc)
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 46

derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

Back in November, we pulled a couple of buses out of a yard to start workin on a "Shasta Snow Trip" bus, turning once thought to be scrap pile of metal into functional rig. Well upon seeing the bus in person we decided this one is too nice to take off roading and dinging it up. So we are going to fix this one up nicely as possible.

Unfortunately when I got to the bus, it was pillaged of its camper windows and the front hump seat so thats the items I will be looking out for. If you are holding, let me know...

The plan of attack right now is to get all the correct bits for it and get it running. I have not decided on whether to lower it, either old school 3 inch drop all around or narrowed beam w off set spring plates- or go BONE stock with bias ply all around.

It is a Jan 1962 bus with unknown camper manufacture. Any help identifying this will be appreciated as I continue to document the progress.

It will need the usual rust work around the front floor, both sides of rockers. I managed to remove a thin layer of rattle can on the passenger door revealing decent OG door color to match.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone know the camper brand? i haven't seen the fold down like this, using side rails made of wood! no Z bed or metal folding mechanism. It also had this foam piece that fits between the bed gap (see pic). I also will be needing driver side sigla slider window rail and latch.

WISH LIST:
-camper window assembly/gutter
-front hump seat
-driver side sigla window slider rail
-passenger side sigla latch (see broken piece)
-matching L345 decklid/apron (in og color or patina, if possible)

I buffed the lower driver side on the door/dogleg section with rubbing and polishing compound. This one is nice!

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy

Last edited by derRHDmeister on Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Skim
Rants Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

I think the polls will be quite obvious being this page is 99.5 percent purists Laughing
1954 Sunroof
1959 Lowlight Ghia vert
1960 Lt Grey Double Cab SMZ LEGIT
1963 Deluxe Turkis Walk Thru 15 Window OG Paint
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Skim wrote:
I think the polls will be quite obvious being this page is 99.5 percent purists Laughing

Laughing true! but hey id appreciate your feedback regardless!

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
G-wood Todd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

My vote is stock height if you actually plan to use it as an off pavement camper. Otherwise, that one will look good slammed.
and take the kids for instance "Are we going in the Volkswagen bus?" and they say "Yay!" and clap their hands and if it's a glorious day you can slide the sunroof back and let a little of the glory in and all of a sudden, it stops looking funny.

-Volkswagen ad
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

stock height if you are actually going to camp off road in it. otherwise i'd say slam it with minor changes that could eventually be swapped back to og height. my 2 cents since you asked.... Wink
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Malokin Martin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Ala-bammy Montgomery Ward camper.

Example
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595804

Lowering a camper is like lowering a truck. Makes the intended purpose useless.
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:
Ala-bammy Montgomery Ward camper.

Example
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=595804

Lowering a camper is like lowering a truck. Makes the intended purpose useless.

Initially, I thought so but the closet door is different, their corner edgings were made of aluminum. The bed frame made from galvanized metal pipes i think, because Ive seen one in person and they are not the same. The fridge is different.

On a side note, my dad bought a 1961 Turnpike camping trailer and it had the same brand/color/size style icebox fridge. Must it have been made in the west coast by one of smaller outfits? I need to see more examples of earlier small hatch panel camper that was not homemade. Ex. Sundial, EZ Camper, Riveria, etc

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

This would make a very good shasta camper

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2135686
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

81% leaning towards stock w/ bias ply. Rolling Eyes

I just placed a WANTED ad for the items I need. Hope that will help a bunch!

About the Shasta Snow Trip, Ive been going there since 2007 and its been a dry spell for couple years Im glad to be back in the saddle this year- I will be co piloting "the Beauty" with Clint.

So bias ply, 6.40 or 6.70?

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

1960 was last year of clear needle speedo. You should post the measurements of the side window holes and manufacture of the windows you are searching for.
'64cal lookdub
1200 Deluxe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

I like them both ways, but own a stock height camper. I always thought slamming a camper was counter productive. What transaxle and engine size are you going to run? Hopefully the cokers you buy are more round that what I've found on my Model A hot rod. Laughing
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
1960 was last year of clear needle speedo. You should post the measurements of the side window holes and manufacture of the windows you are searching for.

had a 60 and remembered it was clear needle. Thanks for the info- guess its a regular speedo then?

I will post the sizes they are 13 by 17 in approx

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

'64cal lookdub wrote:
I like them both ways, but own a stock height camper. I always thought slamming a camper was counter productive. What transaxle and engine size are you going to run? Hopefully the cokers you buy are more round that what I've found on my Model A hot rod. Laughing

right>!? Ive seen 1 ton dually truck air bagged with huge rims, I'm like WTF can it still haul? It seems some of them do.

This camper won't be hauling stuff except kids and some camping gear.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:

had a 60 and remembered it was clear needle. Thanks for the info- guess its a regular speedo then?

Regular for 1961-early 64, before rim/tire size change.
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

UPDATE: I think the window (sigla or not) debacle has been solved. Upon further investigation and comparing the left and right doors it was apparent that they are different window frames. One of them was switched out at one point.

Note the vent window swoosh on pass side being thicker than the other side.

The drivers side is all the way sekurit. Front windshields s Delog brand and then passenger side sigla frame with the slider window replaced at one point to sekurit.

With that, it is believed the right side is the incorrect one. I do not need sigla slider rail and the latches as it is a commercial bus (learned that only us market passenger buses had the sigla laminated version during a timeframe). I’m amazed the patina and color matched up. Don’t you think it came off a L345 passenger bus w sigla latches? Interesting

We learn something new everyday. On to the search for nicely patina’d Sekurit passenger door frame/windows/latches.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

"Too nice for Shasta'?

WTF was I thinking??

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
"Too nice for Shasta'?

WTF was I thinking??

Have you returned w the same bus? Doubtfully and rightfully so! Did you go with the Dorman single cab one year too? Maybe with your so34 one day...

Times has changed and preferencess, too. Some of us want to really “play” in the mud and maybe Baja it up. Jersey look? Anyway that’s just my perspective. I recall one of earliest sst where there was a nice og pgsg pressed bumper w 36hp on that trip. That won’t happen again perhaps?

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

I took that bus in 2005 and the truck in 2009. I doubt the SO34 would be something id take.

I had a blast in the two buses I took regardless of them being "shiney"!

and I vote stock height and bias ply's though I drive my buses a lot and prefer radials.

derRHDmeister wrote:
crofty wrote:
"Too nice for Shasta'?

WTF was I thinking??

Have you returned w the same bus? Doubtfully and rightfully so! Did you go with the Dorman single cab one year too? Maybe with your so34 one day...

Times has changed and preferencess, too. Some of us want to really “play” in the mud and maybe Baja it up. Jersey look? Anyway that’s just my perspective. I recall one of earliest sst where there was a nice og pgsg pressed bumper w 36hp on that trip. That won’t happen again perhaps?

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

I think I found the camper manufacture: (photo from the inter webs)

The camper interior is the EXACT same aside from the icebox and bed legs.. I have seen only ONE and its in the UK. Any US Examples? Ill post more interior pictures

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=368990&highlight=gypsy

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Uploading the interior pictures. Maybe this will help determine the camper manufacture (if not Gypsy).
The Port Code on the 62 is Philadelphia. I'm wondering if it is an east coast bus done by east coast camper outfitter??

Have anyone s the slightest idea? If it was Gardena Campers, then shouldn't the Port code be in the Western US? Something to ponder...

Overall, this camper interior seems to be too well made to be a homebrew. I believe it was one of smaller camper companies.

Bed Frame detail:

Closet detail:

Weird fabric headliner (diamond pattern)

Sink/Fridge and Drawer

There is a drainage hole (garden hose sized) at the driver side floor under the seat (right behind the bulkhead) so I'm assuming there was a water tank there? There's a smaller drainage hole for the icebox on the passenger side too.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: