Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 EZ Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Stock Height or Lowered?
Stock with Bias Ply
80%
 80%  [ 37 ]
flip spindle/ straight axle kit (mild)
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
SLAM IT! (narrowed beam, offset spring plates etc)
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 46

f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
f6fhellcat00 wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

this is possibly one of earliest walk through ez camper kit. I believe so now with the research Ive done so far. id like other folks to chime in. Compare the simplicity of sink drawer features as well the closet/bed. Look also the inner window frame.

That's some great info! I do have what looks to be the original Fire Extinguisher dated 1963. So that would make perfect sense. i kind of couldn't help myself had to slam it! i didn't cut anything tho. The interior will be original just freshened up to be usable. The patina will stay. I did throw a 1915 in there tho due to the fact the original motor was missing. The plan is to use the hell out of it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

f6fhellcat00 wrote:
derRHDmeister wrote:
f6fhellcat00 wrote:

this is possibly one of earliest walk through ez camper kit. I believe so now with the research Ive done so far. id like other folks to chime in. Compare the simplicity of sink drawer features as well the closet/bed. Look also the inner window frame.

That's some great info! I do have what looks to be the original Fire Extinguisher dated 1963. So that would make perfect sense. i kind of couldn't help myself had to slam it! i didn't cut anything tho. The interior will be original just freshened up to be usable. The patina will stay. I did throw a 1915 in there tho due to the fact the original motor was missing. The plan is to use the hell out of it.

Nice patina! I hope you realize that you have one early EZ camper and a walk through to boot. Let’s preserve the interior and do her right. If you need anything I’ll try my best as I do have almost everything except the drawer box around the fridge. Maybe take some measurements etc and share so others can use the information. Also post up your bus on ez camper thread

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

After further research i would have to agree with you i have an EZ camper. ive been thinking it was a Sundial due to the Tent fringes and style. Its most likely that EZ Camper tents are identical to Sundial giving the family history.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

Update

Not bad....

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

Update:

Been looking for a decent OG paint L345 rear apron and scored one from Pomona Swap Meet for a good deal. It had few layers of paint it was hard to tell if the white paint underneath was Pearl White or L345 Light Gray (it was 5 am in the morning, dark and I didn't bring a flashlight) so I gambled on it. Price was right, and the condition very good.

Once I got home, I immediately went to strip off some layers. Incidentally, there was a coat of white paint on top of L345, just below a few layers of light blue, dark blue and black paint. The gamble paid off!

Now I have all L345 Body panels, the hunt is over for now. I will focus on cleaning up, polishing and eventually doing the mechanicals. There are some minor rust issues that I will address eventually.

This one is now on the back burner as I'm currently focused on the Barndoor Beach Buggy, you can check out the progress over in the Barndoor forum.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706584

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Stephbong
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

I'm following this build, great find/job!
Craig
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
Also, note the headliner. I thought they used wooden material instead. There was a frayed piece of cloth at the end above the headbanger- pattern imprinted on metal shows it was used in entirety....

One of my droogs has this intact headliner in his.

There’s a couple of other pics in my gallery.
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Craig wrote:
derRHDmeister wrote:
Also, note the headliner. I thought they used wooden material instead. There was a frayed piece of cloth at the end above the headbanger- pattern imprinted on metal shows it was used in entirety....

One of my droogs has this intact headliner in his.

There’s a couple of other pics in my gallery.

Yeah thats it. Looks like how it was set up earlier before they went with wood paneling on the ceiling. Interesting and intact interior! Id love to get more shots of the icebox and drawer.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

Update: wheels are mounted on 6.70 tires and I put on the patina L345 hubcaps I got off this site recently. Looks good to me. Now the rush is on, I want to drive this bus to OCTO in 2 weeks. The brakes need to be rebuilt then plug in the 1600cc and hope the transaxle is good. Wiring is there but maybe yank it out if there is a lot of corrosion.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
thirtyseven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

Really nice !
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

very nice, wheels look great. How did the rocker repair turn out?
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

nineteensixtyfiveVG wrote:
very nice, wheels look great. How did the rocker repair turn out?

Busnstuff did the rocker repair and outriggers/jack points. It’s a decent job and it needs some finishing work. He didn’t do that part because I instructed him to just weld on the rockers and other areas. I just sprayed on some rattle can L345 from Wolfsburg west to cover up the primer temporarily until I clean up few areas later on. The goal right now is to get it running.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

i saw you posted this for sale. dont do it! youre so close, just wrap it up and enjoy it!
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

Agree nineteensixtyfiveVG but we don't know how bad this economic crisis has hit him, last resort? If at all possible Darrell hang on to your amazing patina camper. Just remember "This too shall pass".

i saw you posted this for sale. dont do it! youre so close, just wrap it up and enjoy it!

Oh did I say don't lower it Wink
It's beautiful stock, "everything"!

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Agree nineteensixtyfiveVG but we don't know how bad this economic crisis has hit him, last resort? If at all possible Darrell hang on to your amazing patina camper. Just remember "This too shall pass".

I can assure you, economic hasn’t hit him at all. He’s thinking a bigger picture.

I agree it’s nice and all. But it’s just an American camper. Laughing There’s pros and cons to finishing it.

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

I like it more than my big hatch SO42. Cool

deadwesty wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

I can assure you, economic hasn’t hit him at all. He’s thinking a bigger picture.

I agree it’s nice and all. But it’s just an American camper. Laughing There’s pros and cons to finishing it.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deadwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

deadwesty wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

I agreed lol.

Like I said there’s pros and cons (A keeper or not). If u finish a so42, the profit will be bigger than any finished American campers. Pure F**king numbers here. Cool

1986 westy syncro
1990 tin top syncro
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

yeah, feeler ad. It's not a fire sale and I guess maybe time/space/OCD thing on my end? I try to find the time to finish but it's still sitting with cobwebs and dust. I envy folks who find the time to work on their projects. I agree the finish line is so close, someone will wrap this up in no time or maybe I will when it comes to that point. Thanks for the encouragement.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 EZ Camper Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:

deadwesty wrote:
LAGrunthaner wrote:

Thanks for chiming in. It hasn't hit me economically so far but I feel for the folks who are the hardest hit during this time. Probably wouldn't be the best time to list a VW for sale given the current situation, but I thought I'd see if someone would be more interested in finishing this one. In the end, it is still a VW camper with tons of possibilities, Westy or not.
Also, I like to enjoy them instead of making sure everything is done correctly, perfectly then parked. This one is in the middle for me, I like upgrades but want to preserve EZ Camper history, especially since it's one of the earliest versions.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: