Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1962 EZ Camper
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Stock Height or Lowered?
Stock with Bias Ply
80%
 80%  [ 37 ]
flip spindle/ straight axle kit (mild)
10%
 10%  [ 5 ]
SLAM IT! (narrowed beam, offset spring plates etc)
8%
 8%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 46

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

People travel, so do cars.

Plus plenty of panel buses were camper converted after they were bought and driven for a few years. After all if you were a dealer that got an older bus in trade in, helps to sell that older used bus by having the local camper converter do their magic. Then the first time VW owner that wanted a Westfalia, but could not afford it and/or could not wait their turn to get one months later.

Same thing happened when a fellow found an older panel for a great price and took it directly to the camper converter, to bypass the extra VW dealer cost.
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
People travel, so do cars.

Plus plenty of panel buses were camper converted after they were bought and driven for a few years. After all if you were a dealer that got an older bus in trade in, helps to sell that older used bus by having the local camper converter do their magic. Then the first time VW owner that wanted a Westfalia, but could not afford it and/or could not wait their turn to get one months later.

same thing happened when a fellow found an older panel for a great price and took it directly to the camper converter, to bypass the extra VW dealer cost.

Reasonable probability... Id guess so after the first few Westfalias arrived and only the doctors or dentists could afford them... thus the start of "affordable" panel camper conversions by specialized outfitters started around 1960-61? EZ Camper started up in Littlerock around that time. I'd know because I used to have one their earliest panel camper with smaller windows (2 ea side) it was a 1960 panel that I picked up in nearby Quartz Hill.

In this bus I found some paintbrush applied w/ lighter tan color on the exposed metal parts (similar to westies) you can see it behind the sink drawer top of bulkhead

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
Instagram: DeafVolks & BarndoorBuggy
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:
Id guess so after the first few Westfalias arrived and only the doctors or dentists could afford them...

Plenty of other folks could afford them, but plenty of folk were looking for something less expensive. Panel conversions were less expensive for those. Keep in mind that back around 1960 the minimum wage was about $1.00 per hour!!

Even if someone was making lots more than minimum wage might already paying every month for a home and the other car. So did not have a load of money for a camper on top of all that. Plus even a doctor or dentist early on in their career would quite possibly be still paying off the university/college debts so more $$ out each month, and probably the rent for the office. Later one would have the average 2.5 children, and the usual pet dog/cat to take up more of the income. It is not just the last decade or so that folks have wanted it all now on credit. Then when the job market goes sour they loose it all to the bank.

Plus as posted before there were a lot of folks that just did not want to wait months for a Westfalia. Have talked to enough 1960-70s old timer first buyers, heard from them over and over this skipping having to wait was the deciding factor of why they got a panel camper conversion instead of a Westfalia. Westfalia could never keep up with the demand in the 1950s thru at least 1967. The SO-42 camper was probably the closest kit they came out with during period that almost kept up with demand.

Have even talked to a few folks that bought a new Westfalia. Waited their turn, then after picking up the new Westfalia sold it for a couple of hundred dollars more to someone who just could not wait.
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Good News:

Finally sourced the hump seat for the front cab area. Now I am on the hunt for the camper windows. I need maybe 3 more but any one holding a complete set or pieces, please let me know. There are differences- one being for cut in (panels) and the other one that is curved and fits right in the window openings (kombi/standard microbuses)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Not much updates other than the front seat, and I hope to load some photos of the latest progress today. Been buffing and polishing one side so far. Killer patina!

unclespanky wrote:
Piercy could dip those wheel cylinders between his cheek and gums and spit them out rebuilt.

Check us out @
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Looks good man! Vintage trailer supply has reproduction drip guards as well as all the seals, nylon friction pads and cranks if you need them.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Drip-Cap-p/vts-515.htm
I bought everything I needed to rebuild mine from them.

Good luck on your search for the windows. It took me a while to find the one replacement I needed. Paid out the rear for it, and then less than a week later three more showed up for really good prices. They’ll pop up eventually.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Not much to report other than continuing to clean/polish up the bus whenever I had the time.
Lately it was so busy I fell behind, but one day my dad came by to help. Then we made a cool discovery.

We kept on removing the white paint over the front passenger door, and soon enough we noticed that there was some logo action going on. Bottom lettering appears to be "Washburn MO" but I couldn't make out the top part it seems to have "C H(or A) M P"??

Any ideas, someone local from Washburn might know.

Anyway, most of the bus has been polished outside except the top. We will get to that soon enough. Then on to the inside...

Finally sourced a decent 61-62 only hump seat.

Slowly cleaning out the debris and dirt from little nooks/cranks.
Still looking for 13x17ish camper windows. 2-3 more will do or full set if anyone is holding... Thanks. (yea, switched up the rollers as the bus wheels kept gettin flat, in case you were wondering....

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:
Looks good man! Vintage trailer supply has reproduction drip guards as well as all the seals, nylon friction pads and cranks if you need them.
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Drip-Cap-p/vts-515.htm
I bought everything I needed to rebuild mine from them.

Good luck on your search for the windows. It took me a while to find the one replacement I needed. Paid out the rear for it, and then less than a week later three more showed up for really good prices. They’ll pop up eventually.

Yes definitely have that website bookmarked for future needs once I get all parts in. Its helpful especially for my dad's vintage trailer.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

So, you think this is a Montgomery Ward camper... there was a similar 1960 at a salvage near me a few years ago, with the same interior, slide out bed and all-wood on in-sides. I still have the metal table edges, in original shapes... and just sold the windows... was very interesting... put the doors on my 1962 SO33. I got a lot of parts from this thing... had the same interior

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
So, you think this is a Montgomery Ward camper... there was a similar 1960 at a salvage near me a few years ago, with the same interior, slide out bed and all-wood on in-sides. I still have the metal table edges, in original shapes... and just sold the windows... was very interesting... put the doors on my 1962 SO33. I got a lot of parts from this thing... had the same interior

Yeah it seems to be an east coast based camper kit now that the logos appeared. I need to compare against earlier versions such as 1962ish camper kits. Anyone know how long Montgomery Ward was doing this and if any similar year kits to see what’s out there.

Also The windows look smaller than mine. I had a 1960 panel camper with same windows as yours. It seems the windows got bigger after 61 or so.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

derRHDmeister wrote:

We kept on removing the white paint over the front passenger door, and soon enough we noticed that there was some logo action going on. Bottom lettering appears to be "Washburn MO" but I couldn't make out the top part it seems to have "C H(or A) M P"??

Any ideas, someone local from Washburn might know.

Looks like there is a period after the "H", there is a space between the "C" & "H" for another period, and think can see left part of the period there. Pretty sure there is an "R" off to the right above the "MO". Think you have either "O. H. MU" or "C. H. MU" then there is three or four letters and then the "R". Would help to measure how many spaces are there for the missing letters. Would be so cool if you can trace back where the bus has been through that....

Problem is the painted letters themselves are long gone in the upper line. The only way you are seeing what was there is that the lettering paint covered the OG paint, and as all of the paint eroded away you are left with only a slightly thicker OG paint in that area. Which only shows up when the now thinner OG paint that was not letter covered fades to just the primer...
AlanInMass54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
This would make a very good shasta camper

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2135686

Wow, I went to buy that very Bus in late 2015! Borrowed a truck, got a UHaul trailer went up to the junkyard it was in. It was landlocked between old trucks and you couldn't open the rear lid or see underneath but it looked not too too bad. For $500 it seemed worth it! Got there, they hauled it out and it was so rotten I actually paid them to put it back. No ID plates, even the engine compartment was rotted away mostly. Nice roof though. I know a flipper buddy got it later. I hope it finds a good home! Regarding this camper a friend had a 64 parts Bus a long time ago with a very similar kit and I think the same windows. I will ask if he still has them!
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Update:

Sourced the Hehr awning style for the camper, it is the typical American cut-in version, not the rounded corners. If anyone knows a bit about restoring this type (not similar to Jalouise type) please let me know where I can find. I know about vintagetrailersupply.com but which or what part number if you had any experience.

here you go.

Mocked it up, it will need some work.
Especially the crank/lever, rubber/sealing, and glass..
I am looking for more of the logoed cranks if possible...

I will definitely take a breather from this for now aside from parts collecting/fixing up the windows...

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

This is the seal that goes on the window opening of the outter flap
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Hehr-Standard-Glass-Seal-p/vts-195.htm

This is the seal that goes on the inner frame
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Hehr-Standard-Backframe-Gasket-p/vts-199.htm

I also used some sealer when installing the glass (may not have been necessary).
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/TremPro-644-RTV-p/vts-566.htm

These go on the end of the crank arms
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Nylon-Friction-Pad-p/vts-348.htm

Bolts/nuts if needed
https://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Hehr-Standard-Fasteners-p/vts-287.htm

Good luck with them. I cleaned up mine about 6 years ago, so my memory may be fuzzy, but let me know if you have any questions.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

From wikipedia - Washburn MO in southwest Mo, Barry County, population 435

Someone there will know the story.

Road trip!
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
From wikipedia - Washburn MO in southwest Mo, Barry County, population 435

Someone there will know the story.

Road trip!

Yes! Definitely, that small a town should be someone that knows something...

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

fluxcap wrote:

What did you do for the screens too? They don't seem to be removable. I recall my other camper had a metal screen mesh that rolled over on the inner edges and secured by a rubber bead. same thing?

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

I didn’t go back with the metal. I just used regular screen and spline from homedepot. The original metal screen folded over the lip and the crease in the screen kept it in place. I just put the spline in the lip, and then took a small flathead screwdriver and punched the lip every few inches to hold the spline in.

Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

I'd go stick with a modern tire equivalent to the biasply. Something a little wider to get a little meat on the road and add a little safety.

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
derRHDmeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

Dustin B wrote:
I'd go stick with a modern tire equivalent to the biasply. Something a little wider to get a little meat on the road and add a little safety.

if it was my only source of transportation sure- but I doubt I will be using the bus often enough to get moring radials... Perhaps a weekend cruiser and to/from camping that should get bias ply treatment

Initially, I planned to set it up as a "Shasta Camper" with off-road capabilities. BFG or General Grabber tires etc. I haven't decided at this point whether if it will be bias ply or all-terrain tires.

unclespanky wrote:

Check us out @
f6fhellcat00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '62 Patina Camper Reply with quote

It's a 62 panel converted to Sundial camper. I have the same interior. Mine is a 61 Panel W/T converted in 63 to Sundial. It's the first year for Sundial. The bed with the wood tracks and the wood drop down legs is virtually identical. Actually pretty rare, I have the mirror with the round edges too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: