Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brettjord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild Reply with quote

Picked up a new bus today - hopefully this will go better than my last thread of a double cab rebuild. Started the post on that, then took no pictures and its now back on the road.

Anyway, will get to working on this and hopefully take a few photos along the way as it gets put back together.

1965 13W Walk Through. Going to keep original paint exterior, fix a few things as you will see, and redo the interior as all new including paint.

Without further ado... the history of the Cow Catcher!

Cow Catcher is pretty fitting as the story goes this bus literally caught a cow right on the nose back in 1977. Was parked in the Texas panhandle then and lost just a few parts - namely seats and engine lid. Thankfully the panhandle is fairly dry as it was rescued 35 years later and brought to the opposite side of Texas. Sat for the past 6 years or so without having much done. Just picked it up from its previous owner today so we will see how smoothly it gets back together. Bus is SUPER DRY with some awesome OG paint. Needs a few dents knocked out, some polish, and a little bit of blending - plus a complete front end! Minor rust in cargo floor and spare tire well, otherwise super solid. Will get some chassis and engine bay photos soon.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild Reply with quote

Nice score! Dare I ask how the cow fared in the crash? And what's up with the 4 lug bug wheels out back?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
Nice score! Dare I ask how the cow fared in the crash?

with the nose pushed in like that....one for the bus, zero for the cow: the cow lost.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brettjord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild Reply with quote

I assume by now that the cow is dead! Laughing

Bus is on drop spindles and a straight axle bug trans in the rear - hence the 4 lug. Body work first, then running gear will get cleaned up but will likely stay lowered.
brettjord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild Reply with quote

Lots of small progress, will combine it all later with some updates...

But super excited about this and want to use it to keep my motivation. Nose isn't nearly as nice as I was expecting, but at least it's 100x better than using all new metal and pillars!

Also, sent doors off to be straightened and they are now done. Hoping to pick them up in the next few weeks and get to work fitting/aligning the new front end. Everything else seems so small once I can get the front clip situated!
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild Reply with quote

So if it's been off the road since 1977 when did the lowering and 4 lug rear end happen?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
brettjord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild Reply with quote

I am not the first owner since it's been rescued. Previous owner started the project and lowered/straight Axled it and bailed before metal repair
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild Reply with quote

ohhhhh ok, that makes sense! I didn't think that lowering method came about until the 90s.
brettjord
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild Reply with quote

Finally got a little time, so got the rocker repair mostly wrapped up.

You can see rocker in decent shape, however the lower seal channel was basically non-existant. So kept the inner and out skins which were in decent shape and spliced in a new channel.

Little welding and clean up and voila!

LJay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Cow Catcher - '65 13 Window Rebuild Reply with quote

Good job! Can’t wait to see the front come together.

My build thread.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742279
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: