Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

POR 15 all over
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Elliethebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

I would like to apply POR 15 all inside my 1979 Bay Bus and under.
I saw it is generally applied only on the floors, is it a terrible idea to put on all the frames?

Any advice on silver or black?
is it toxic still after it dries?

I am new to the forum and the bus life, please bear with me Smile
I appreciate any input on how to limit rust and corrosion
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

research the product and the technique used to get the best results. Rustoleum may be better for you

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

Please review before proceeding: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

POR15 is hard to sand and doesn't like paint over it once it hardens. Read the thread before doing anything. It has answers to all your questions.
Elliethebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the help. I also did some more research and I ve changed my mind about it. It seems that the car will keep rusting under the POR 15.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

Por 15 is a brand name, not a product name. You will need to be more specific of which products you want to use. (Like ordering a soda at McDonald's and not specifying which soda.) Por 15 has some excellent acid-based liquids that can catalyze and stop rust, and they have some paint that will cover the rust and make it worse.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

Osphos is another option, there are many.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

POR-15 is garbage. use to be good. I would look at masterseries.....a friend used it and seems to be doing quite well

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
POR-15 is garbage. use to be good.

I never had a problem with POR15 in the past. Did the formula or parent company change?
(sold - but not forgotten)
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

Something changed about 2 years ago. It just right out fails and flakes off now (even with good prep). Rustoleum seems to work better ( again with proper prep. ) as a "patch". Proper procedures have been exhaustively discussed in previous posts.
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

They sold the company. Supposedly the chemical recipes were the same. Maybe they outsourced to China like everyone else. Pretty soon you won’t be able to use a tooth pick with out going into toxic shock.
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

POR-15 is garbage.

I disagree. I will use POR-15 also at my next project (Eriba Pan caravan) again.
But yes - it is not a simple or cheap paint - you need to work more exactly...

I used nearly 20 years ago POR-15 products at the floor pan and technic and engine parts of my Karmann-Ghia - driven a lot and it is still in good condition. And I used at at the floor and technic and engine parts of my baywindow 10 years ago - that was driven since now to 3 continents (including deserts and gravle roads) - and this is also still looking good underneath and rust free...

But it is not need to use inside the car - or at the top bodywork.
Therefore better use standard two component paint - and preserve it with protection wax or fluids.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

Both of my classic cars chassis have 5 coats on them. 3 por 15 and 2 chassis coat. All proffessionally sprayed by guys who have worked with the product since it became available. It’s bullet proof urethane. But they sold the company. Anyone who got sucked in by the paint over rust bullshit is knocking them. My projects were blasted to white metal, etched, then coated. You can take a hammer to my frames and the paint will not even chip.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

I use to use it myself....then it changed....its well documented that it sucks now....but like anything do what you want. I posted a good alternative a friend used and seems to work real well

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

I use to use it myself....then it changed....its well documented that it sucks now....but like anything do what you want. I posted a good alternative a friend used and seems to work real well

Friend here...... I had Por 15 peal off with no effort but Masterseries painted on top of the same Por 15 stayed on (and held in the Por 15). We have seen the issues way longer than 2 years ago (more like 10+). And back then I daily drove aircooled VWs year round.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

Sorry Skils I firgot to add my cars were painted over 5 years ago. Thankfully! Thanks for the heads up. I had not heard that the quality was not what it used to be.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

Reminds me of a similar situation back in the 80's with Glasurit paints. We just bought a mixing system and all the product came from Germany and all was well. Then after about a year R-M bought the US marketing rights. Things began to change, most noticeable was the "build up" capability of the high build primer, MS100 as I recall. The salesman denied any formula changes until I produced a can from Germany. In comparison there were components missing from the US packaged product.
Hot Rod Harp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

I have had success with Rust Bullet and Metal Blast on both my 76 Westfalia and 74 Thing.
Rust Bullet is UV stable and does not need to be top coated, it can be used as a primer or under/over filler.
The Metal Blast removes rust and preps surface.
Had a perfect pan on a Beetle and painted with a brush to keep it that way,
POR15 does not stick to non-rusted metal even with prep. I like the silver,
but I think it comes in other colors now even clear, very good stuff it is used on ships, bridges and military equipment.

And its made in the USA.

https://www.rustbullet.com/
88 Goldwing GL1500/6 sold

RinTinTin in Waldorf Astoria 1956

Last edited by Hot Rod Harp on Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

[quote="rsbadura"]
POR-15 is garbage.

I disagree. I will use POR-15 also at my next project (Eriba Pan caravan) again.
But yes - it is not a simple or cheap paint - you need to work more exactly...

I used nearly 20 years ago

??? the condensed conversation-
"It changed two years ago, and now it sucks"
"I disagree. I used it 20 years ago and it was good"
Lil Lulu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: POR 15 all over Reply with quote

MasterSeries is my choice. Does not require overcoating. My floors have endured for 6 years now.

'72 Deluxe - Niagara Blue w/pastelwiess Camper Special 2L dual 40 Webers 002

'74 Hightop Weekender "Dixie" 1800 34 Del singles
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: