Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiper Slop repair?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ebanville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

Hey, all. I've got a windshield wiper issue on my 1966 Beetle. It's the original 6v motor in a 12v system using an inline resistor. When we restored the car some years back, we pulled the entire workings out, greased and lubed them and put it back. It worked fine for many years, but now there's slop or play in the movement. When you turn it off it stops at the right place, then slides down off the windshield and on to the body. You can move the wipers with your hand like a wet noodle.

Has anyone experienced this? If so what's the fix? Rebuild? Replace?

Thanks as always for any help you can offer!
-Ethan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
marklee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

do the job properly, the resistors get hot and therefore less efficient. get one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/362001697843?chn=ps&a...amp;crdt=0 link used as an example, and pull the motor out and rebush the system and matbe replace the wiper spindles
Motor Insurance Repair and Research Centre,Thatcham, Advanced Vehicle Damage Estimator.
Police qualified vehicle examiner
Police Class 1 High performance, pursuit trained Advanced driver
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ebanville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks so much for your help!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

Start by examining the connection of the arm to the spindle. There is a setscrew. Don't just crank it; loosen it, check the wiper shaft ends, and re-install. If it's still loose, check threads for better solutions, from filing a flat on the shaft, to a different kind of attachment.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

Wolfsburg west and others sell the replacement shafts and all of the bushings you may need. Obviously when you pull the assembly you will see where the slop is. Also not a bad idea to score a spare assembly. They are plentiful and cheap...particularly the late model ones. I have a tub of them just incase I need a part.

While you are in there check the condition of the motor brushes. I agree on using the 12V armature...I do that anytime that I can instead of the resistor. But folks have been using resistors forever....

With the motor assy out, you should consider popping the plate off the gear box and cleaning out and replacing the grease.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

Here is a breakdown of the wiper assembly...
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/electrical/bug_electrical_misc/wipe_assem.cfm

You may need these bushings...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111955341

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
XXX-1.8T
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

Im having a similar problem to the OP except mine isnt too sloppy they just dont park in the right position or get jammed under the windscreen.

Is there a Wiper Motor refresh kit for sale or do i buy everything one by one from WW?

Any links of what ill need to buy from WW?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

Where they park is related to where the arms are tightened down on the shafts.
Do your arms stay secure when you tighten them down to the shafts?
Or do they repeatedly come loose and move on the shafts?

Don't believe there is a "refresh" kit, you simply take the assembly out for a close inspection and replace any worn parts.

The links above should give you an idea of what's available.
Since taking the unit out of the car is the best way to proceed, you might also consider some of these to go along with your order...
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111955261A

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

I just got this in the mail today. I have a 67 wiper assembly being shipped to me now for my 66 . The three on the right come as a kit. It's the left and right pivot assemblies and the cowl grommets. The one on the left is by itself and are the plastic bushing at the transmission joints. That should tighten up your wiper slop. All for 50 bucks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ebanville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

Thanks, all! I continue to love this forum and appreciate you all sharing your knowledge!
ebanville
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Wiper Slop repair? Reply with quote

Ended up being a worn wiper shaft issue. Replaced it with Wolfsburg parts and she's back in business! Thanks, y'all!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: