Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

headlights wires tubes?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

How do I install these tubes without cutting off the wires connectors? Confused

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

The headlight socket has 3 flag type connectors. First pull the flag connectors off the socket. Then try to pull one wire/connector at a time thru the tube.

I've not tried this, but this is the path I was thinking of taking on my ghia.

Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

Either cut them off and crimp new ones on, or tape them up tight inline, lube them up with Dawn dish soap and push and pull. You can tape them to the end of a coat hanger or similar to fish them through more easily.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

Also can heat the tubes to soften them up
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

I pushed them through one at a time - wasn't too hard really.
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

the three terminals inside the headlamp socket can be individually removed, then each can be fed thru the rubber tube one at a time. as prior stated, dish soap can help ease them thru. you may also use a bent coathanger wire to help push or pull the wires thru.

to remove the connectors from the headlamp socket, you need a tiny Jewlers screw driver or tiny pick to depress a small metal tab on the connector access to the tab is from between the metal and plastic, insert the tool in the connector side, not the wire side on the side of the metal that is flattest, with tool inserted, pull the wire out with the connector, it should slide out with little force required.

There is no need to cut the wires. cut wires and crimps are sloppy and can be prone to failure

here is a link to a photo showing the tab that needs to be pressed with the tool...

https://www.ebay.com/i/252483793170?chn=ps&ul_...7503232553

the upper image shows the little tab, more like a ramp that the tool depresses for removal, insert tool from the open end of the connector, NOT the wire end, with tool depressing the tab inwards, you can then pull the wire end and the connector will slip out. for install, just push it back in, no tool required.

Good luck! Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
David_nc_72std
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

If you remove the terminals from the headlight sockets, make a note of which wire goes where in the socket. When I bought my car, one headlight had the high and low beam terminals reversed from the previous owner mixing the wires up.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

Easier to pull rather than push. Feed a wire through the tube. Now you want to stagger the connectors and tape them to the feed wire. You dont want any big clumps.. Spray some windex or WD-40 down the tube and gently pull.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

If I need to crimp new flag connectors, anyone know where I can get a flag connector crimping die? I have the ratcheting tool.

Byas
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

bnam wrote:
If I need to crimp new flag connectors, anyone know where I can get a flag connector crimping die? I have the ratcheting tool.

Byas

German Supply for the crimp.

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php?cat=390

Amazon for the crimping tool.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4L8QMW?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
santakart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

Place a price of string through the tube, tie all three wires together wrap the ends with a short length of electrical tape and pull them through, try a light coating of lube around the wires and they should slide through
santakart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

Place a price of string through the tube, tie all three wires together wrap the ends with a short length of electrical tape and pull them through, try a light coating of lube around the wires and they should slide through
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

Thanks for the great info. Smile

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: headlights wires tubes? Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
I pushed them through one at a time - wasn't too hard really.

I did the same

H2OSB
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: