Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

74 Super Beetle front drums
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldTimer74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

hello super beetle fans,...just purchased a 74 Super Beetle and wanted to service the front drums but upon removal of driver side didnt take note on the star adjuster screw position, the passenger side is positioned in the second picture, but drum has uneven wear...?...which way does the star adjuster screw go?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

They are all the same. Clean them up and put them back in.
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
miller0358
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

If you look close, there is a bevel on each one, they go on either side, but rotate them so they fit flat on the shoe. Put them on and take a good look at them with the shoe on. Then rotate one and see the difference in how it sits. Very easy to see. Jeff
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

As for the uneven drum, the only place I've found out here that will do it wants $90. For me, it's cheaper to replace the drum if it's going to need turning.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

miller0358 wrote:
If you look close, there is a bevel on each one, they go on either side, but rotate them so they fit flat on the shoe. Put them on and take a good look at them with the shoe on. Then rotate one and see the difference in how it sits. Very easy to see. Jeff

Yeah, in the second picture, you can see the difference in material machined off at the edge of the slot of the adjuster screw. The left adjuster that's thicker at the slot should face down, while the thinner portion on the right goes up. There are 3-4 different adjusters VW used through out the years, so I would take a close look to make sure they are literally the same. A Superbeetle should have the adjusters like you have pictured, but the threaded portion is about 1 1/4 inches long, while Beetle ones are only about 1 inch. This is to allow the larger shoes to be adjusted farther out into the larger drums. One adjuster being out farther is just someone being lazy, not properly adjusting both. If you have one shoe that's significantly worn down from the other, replace them. When adjusting, do both sides evenly till it LOCKS the drum up, so you can't turn it. Then back the adjuster off till the shoe has a small amount of drag in the drum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

This pic should help....

Note the thicker side of the adjuster slot sits on the outside. This has the effect of "lifting" the shoes slightly towards the wheel cylinders.

That your two adjusters are so different implies there was a problem. Maybe one of the pistons in the wc is stuck? Check everything when you put it back together. WC are cheap. Cheap enough that you could replace them anytime you take the drums off for service. Just be sure to get good quality parts.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

OldTimer74 wrote:
hello super beetle fans,...just purchased a 74 Super Beetle and wanted to service the front drums but ... but drum has uneven wear...?...

Call around to see if a real machine shop can turn the drum, auto stores like O'Reilly in Arizona don't have an adapter. If you're in Phoenix area try European Auto Machining or Wedge VW (both on N. 24 St.) or Doug's in the east valley.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

OldTimer74 wrote:
... but drum has uneven wear.

What does this mean?
Even if only one shoe was making proper contact with the drum the wear should be evenly applied across the width of the friction area.

On the other hand, of the shoe was not squared to the inside of the drum one edge may have worn faster resulting in metal-on-metal contact which could wear out the ID of the drum.

Take it to a shop that can turn VW Beetle drums. As others have pointed out, not all shops will have the proper adapters to do this. You want to find a shop that has been working on drums for decades and their machine is an old one from the 60's/70's. Razz

If the wear on the drum is extreme it may require you to replace the drum with a new/used one. A used VW part that can be turned and is still within spec is probably preferable to any NEW non-German replacement drum (though I have had good luck w/ Mexican and Brazilian(?) brake parts in the past). There is a max ID that is allowed (check Bentley for spec). If you turn the drum more than this you could hyper extend the wheel cylinder to the point where the piston extends beyond its limit.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

OldTimer74 wrote:
74 Super Beetle front drums

I don't know where in AZ you are, but this person at Cactus/101 in Scottsdale has a pair of brand-new front drums for $40 for Super Beetle, made in Europe. 113405615D in the picture identifies as Super Beetle front.
https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/d/vw-type-front-brake-drums-4/6450281884.html

I'm actually somewhat interested myself, just as spares, so better hurry.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

echoing what has been said...Here's what happens:

The one adjuster got rusted fast and they could only adjust the one side.
They didnt know what they were doing
The wheel cylinder has issues.

If the parts look crusty and stopping the car is kind of important, I typically like to just replace everything and be done with it. Inspect your soft brake lines as well. Any checking, cracking or apparent swelling means they should be replaced - if they look old, do it anyway. Good time to repack or replace your wheel bearings. If you are replacing the drums, they need replaced anyway...or should be IMHO.

I have actually had really good luck getting drums for supers at my local parts store, but there are all kind of opinions on that.

Here's the thing - you do this all now and you wont be worrying about it for maybe 50,000 miles except for periodic adjustments.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

A couple years ago, Napa sold me two new Zimmerman (German) rear drums for $60 apiece.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

Junk the whole front drum mess.

Convert to front disk brakes with easy to install kits available from many vendors at probably the same cost to replace all the drum stuff.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:
Convert to front disk brakes with easy to install kits available from many vendors at probably the same cost to replace all the drum stuff.

I really think that this is my own plan should I ever need front drums on my Super. Pretty much I'm too cheap and too lazy to dive into something that I don't really need right now.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 74 Super Beetle front drums Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
cletus_zuber wrote:

I really think that this is my own plan should I ever need front drums on my Super. Pretty much I'm too cheap and too lazy to dive into something that I don't really need right now.

If you're comparing decent drum components like from Varga, or ATE, to a Chinese disc conversion, then yeah the disc set up isn't that more. We all agree Topline carries good quality stuff, correct? Their disc set up with Varga rotors/calipers is $440. If you're comparing apples to apples, replacement drum stuff might be 50-60% of a disc setup.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: