Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Storage compartment under front seats.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aesthetikal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Storage compartment under front seats. Reply with quote

My first ‘bus’... I’ve been putting new carpet, padding, and rubber seat stands in and I’m stumped with these. What are these storage spaces under the seats? More importantly am I missing something (a part) that would prevent myself and passengers constantly stepping into them and pushing the new flooring down in there? Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage compartment under front seats. Reply with quote

My storage space is wide open - no rubber flap or carpet. I keep my jack in there and a few misc tools. It’s also a good place to keep a big gulp from spilling over or use it for whatever stash you want to hold in there. I haven’t seen anything to keep the rubber flap like yours from being pushed in.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage compartment under front seats. Reply with quote

Why would anyone try to walk on the seat pedestals? Those are very handy storage areas, for whatever.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
RONIN10
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage compartment under front seats. Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Why would anyone try to walk on the seat pedestals? Those are very handy storage areas, for whatever.

Both my wife and son have a habit of putting there feet up on that ledge (and on the dash, and on the fresh air ducts...) when sitting in the passenger seat. So much that my original seat stand mat has torn away.

As suggested above, Jack and tools are a good storage option for that spot. I keep a 1L Nalgene water bottle in there while driving alone.

Oscar: 1976 Westfalia Deluxe Camper, 2.0L FI, Manual Transaxle
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage compartment under front seats. Reply with quote

depending on the year depends what items VW stored in there.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage compartment under front seats. Reply with quote

RONIN10 wrote:
kreemoweet wrote:

Both my wife and son have a habit of putting there feet up on that ledge (and on the dash, and on the fresh air ducts...) when sitting in the passenger seat. So much that my original seat stand mat has torn away.

As suggested above, Jack and tools are a good storage option for that spot. I keep a 1L Nalgene water bottle in there while driving alone.

I am not anal at all with my bus, but I would not let my wife kid, or even girlfriend put their feet up on the dash or air ducts. Well, maybe the GF.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Storage compartment under front seats. Reply with quote

"You can put your weed in there..."
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage compartment under front seats. Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
"You can put your weed in there..."

lol I was waiting for that.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Storage compartment under front seats. Reply with quote

Seems like someone along the way made a little door out of some cleverly-bent sheet metal to cover the space and maybe even make it lockable. That would also keep errant feet looking for a footrest from tearing the cover.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: