Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Well after fighting the lust for many years I’ve finally given in...

I bought a Syncro.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I’m writing this from the parking lot of GoWesty, waiting for them to open so I can pick up a few parts.

The van has lived in Southern Idaho and Southern Oregon it’s entire life. 2 owners, the second having owned it since 1999.

I’m cruising back to Atlanta and have considered a dozen different paths but settled on a Southern route since the ski slopes of Tahoe and Colorado have little snow so far this year.

Anyone know of a good spot to camp on south side of the Grand Canyon?
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Damn, that's a beautiful van! Congratulations! Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

That looks great. I need to hurry up and get my cross bars on the roof and my south africa grill looks good.
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Very nice....
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

take what ever route avoids salted roads.. and wash that under carriage if you do travel on salted roads.. it's far to nice to let go bad from Brine and rock salt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

You must be stoked! How many miles? Wonder why there's a hole in the 3rd knob location?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Congratulations! That is a beautiful van. Keep us posted on the progress!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Congratulations! Now go out and buy a gallon of Fluid Film to protect that beautiful Northwesty Westy. Very Happy

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

I can't recommend a specific South Rim spot for camping, but there's endless possibilities in the surrounding Coconino National Forest. Really, can't go wrong. If the weather allows, I truly recommend the Mogollon Rim/General Crook trail as a side road option on your way home.

https://www.arizonahighways.com/explore/scenic-drives/forest-road-300

Have FUN on the road trip!
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

It’s got a zillion miles and decent showing of seam rust... that’s first on the list.

A Gowesty 2.4 and a freshly rebuilt Transaxle make it a worthy candidate.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Happy travels!

I would have stayed in Ashland. Lived there for many years, my kids are natives, born in town.

But then again I'm remembering the sleepy village of the Early 1970's and 80's, before it was horribly invaded by retirees!
On my last visit there, the downtown is now just recreational shopping. The drugstore, hardware store, pharmacy, etc are all long gone. No longer a "practical" town, heck ........ PUCKS even closed!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Nice! Looks like my van's blue brother.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Dang that’s awesome! I’ve got to check out that GW engine. Congratulations!!!
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
You must be stoked! How many miles? Wonder why there's a hole in the 3rd knob location?

Do the panels not typically have a hole? I don’t see any sign of a locker...

Last edited by benandmj on Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:57 am; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Speedometer cable
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Wow! Beautiful van benandmj!

Enjoy the ride home. And remember, any mishaps just make for good stories down the road Very Happy

edit; and more pictures!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

benandmj wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Do the panels not typically have a hole? I don’t see any sign of a locker but I have to admit I don’t know what this is going in to the transfer case...

The hole in the dash panel suggests that the van (or the panel) had a front diff locker at one time. Those are rare.

That's not a transfer case - it's the front differential (case), and that big finned lump behind it; is where the VC (Viscous Coupling) resides, it's like a center differential in as way but its not geared, it just "slips". Your van has a decoupler on the transaxle (that's sort of like a transfer case). This stuff is kinda hard to learn on TheSamba because there are folks who type a book about every little nuance. Wink But you'll learn eventually. It's a good system with pluses and minuses, but Syncros are desirable. There are some pretty big minuses to owning a Syncro, which become readily apparent, so try and imagine how big the "pluses" must be. Shocked

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
benandmj wrote:
Sodo wrote:

Do the panels not typically have a hole? I don’t see any sign of a locker but I have to admit I don’t know what this is going in to the transfer case...

The hole in the dash panel suggests that the van (or the panel) had a front diff locker at one time. Those are rare.

That's not a transfer case - it's the front differential (case), and that big finned lump behind it; is where the VC (Viscous Coupling) resides, it's like a center differential in as way but its not geared, it just "slips". Your van has a decoupler on the transaxle (that's sort of like a transfer case). This stuff is kinda hard to learn on TheSamba because there are folks who type a book about every little nuance. Wink But you'll learn eventually. It's a good system with pluses and minuses, but Syncros are desirable. There are some pretty big minuses to owning a Syncro, which become readily apparent, so try and imagine how big the "pluses" must be. Shocked

Thanks for the thoughtful response. I’ve learned a lot from your recent posts. I guess I sounded a little uninformed or maybe naïve but I am extremely familiar with the Syncro platform. What I wasn’t sure about was whether or not the panels had holes whether there were knobs or Not.

I see no evidence of a front locker but I’ve just reached out to the previous owner. He bought the van and 99 from the original owner who was a family friend. I’m sure that the panel on the dash is original so..

How many Syncro Westy’s were sold in the United States with three knobs? Not many I know.

Last edited by benandmj on Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

The hole in the diff lock panel suggests that it came out of a van with a front diff lock. There is no way the van would have been equipped with a front locker if it is a US spec van..
On the back of the diff lock panel all 3 possible knob locations have a center drill recess so that they can easily be drilled out if desired.
benandmj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Ashland to Atlanta: A Syncro Story Reply with quote

That’s what I thought. Just talked to the old owner and it’s never had three knobs so who knows what the story is with the panel.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: