Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new main bearing with copper color
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

I have a NOS set of std/std/std main bearings and the #2 split bearing is steel backed with internal oil groove which I like for my straight drilled crank. But the bearing surface has a "copperish" color and Have not seen this before other than on some thrust surfaces of the #1 bearing. Is this normal? These are from the clevite Mexican bearing set
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bugsy61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

I wonder if someone swapped their worn split bearing into a new set and turned it back in for a refund. Get the part number and contact the person that sold you the bearing set. Have them check sets with same part number.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

Those are either copper or beryllium copper plated. Its not "new"....but I have not seen it much (not that I build so many engines that I would constantly be in the know).....but I have seen them before.

Here is an example.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1934-59-Dodge-Plymouth-21...ke%3ADodge

and another:

https://www.daidometal.com/product/engine-bearings-half-shell-bearings-4-stroke-diesel-marine/

As this one notes...mostly used in diesel and two stroke engines. Some of that may be for load...because copper was used a lot in bearings.... because it has high temp range , is softer than ferrous metal and...in most cases with "bearing grade" copper ...is alloyed with lead. Think of it as a high temp harder version of babbit.

The other reason why one would like to have something like copper in a diesel or two stroke is that their oil is MUCH more acidic.

Copper is typically used somewhere in these systems...even if its just a plug of copper on the end of the oil pan plug or a small block or a plating somewhere in the system...because it acts as a sacrificial electrochemical anode to neutralize acidity when it gets excessive.
This is common in transmissions and steering gear boxes as well.

Those are cool! Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

This was a sealed complete set and looked like the set was not opened or tampered with. Not sure what to think of it. I checked the fit installed in the case and it has a good fit and the crank to bearing clearance is .002" I am building a 80mm stroke x 92mm bore motor (2127) and will occasionally see rpms as high as 7500.
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

Where did you find the bearings with the internal groove? I've looked for them I the past with no luck.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
Where did you find the bearings with the internal groove? I've looked for them I the past with no luck.

As he noted in his post... ..Clevite brand. Ray
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

This was a complete NOS set of the clevites made in Mexico I purchased from a friend of mine here close by.
So would it be good to run this center bearing given what Ray said in his above post? Here's the picture of the box.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

Clemex and Clevite are two different companies.

The MS-822AL part number indicates it is an Aluminum backed bearing.

Clevite is now owned by Mahle. I could be totally wrong but I believe Clemex are made by Silverline.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

thats not a aluminum backed bearing...unless it's been copper plated...witch I doubt they do. I think it's missing the top coat/layer of material.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

I don't know what a clemex bearing is supposed to be like.
indeed some bearings are copper alloy right on the face, not common but some, and others like many from federal mougal have only a very thin flash plating which is so thin it really does not matter if it is there or not, so I don't know.
Maybe one of our members in mexico would look it up if they have a catalog from when clemex existed.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
thats not a aluminum backed bearing...unless it's been copper plated...witch I doubt they do. I think it's missing the top coat/layer of material.

As I noted...virtually all bearing companies I have seen....copper plate for certain applications. Why would you say they don't?

As I noted...Clevite has numerous copper coated bearings out there. Mahle bought Clemex in 2008. Mahle owns clevite or is at least merged with it. Their technology is now "one" even if they are seperate factories still. You could find anything in the boxes from those three brands now.

As Modok noted.....the copper flash sometimes listed as "brushed copper"....is REALLY thin. Its designed.....I would suspect...as a start up sacrifical coating. Copper is really soft and depending on the alloy....self lubricating. Much better I would suspect than the lead/tin/copper top layer most bearings have. Ray
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

As he noted in his post... ..Clevite brand. Ray

Ok, so where do you get them? NOS finds only can you order these somewhere?
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

Inside groove is German Kolbenschmidt.

You see the brass when it is worn down on the #2 bearings.

My take on it -someone machined an undersized bearing set to accomodate a journal. Or..someone got desperate and tried to remedy something.
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

So, now not sure what to think or do. Should I use this #2 bearing as pictured above with my straight drilled crank or use a #2 bearing that has the oil groove on the out side and drill a one additional oil hole in each bearing half of an external oil grooved bearing.

The bearing pictured is absolutely steel backed.

vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

If it's steel backed I'd use it.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

I don't mean to be Captain Obvious here, but ultimately what matters is what the clearance is, not what the box says, right?

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

I do not like the steel backed bearings, but I use them,I would coat it before using it...as i do all bearings. Ive used clemex,never had any issues with them.i figured it was clevite of mexico...so i may of been rong it may be cleavland of mexico...or just a bearing manufacture of mexico that uses the clevite method of over lays ans is licensed to do so...or....just the name of the company trying to be passed off as clevitte like somany off brands tend to do. as far as the al on the box that looks like a sticker/label that was allpied for a generic term part# I do have a sort of NOS fedralmougol al bearings..and they were infact dfl coated by the factory probably 35 + years ago...bearing coatings are nothing new and they were trying to address the issues they these bearings have....gaulding.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
I do not like the steel backed bearings, but I use them,I would coat it before using it...as i do all bearings. Ive used clemex,never had any issues with them.i figured it was clevite of mexico...so i may of been rong it may be cleavland of mexico...or just a bearing manufacture of mexico that uses the clevite method of over lays ans is licensed to do so...or....just the name of the company trying to be passed off as clevitte like somany off brands tend to do. as far as the al on the box that looks like a sticker/label that was allpied for a generic term part# I do have a sort of NOS fedralmougol al bearings..and they were infact dfl coated by the factory probably 35 + years ago...bearing coatings are nothing new and they were trying to address the issues they these bearings have....gaulding.

You mean....galling.... Wink ...yes. and that is exactly what copper plated bearings are for as well. As I noted earlier...these are not uncommon in diesel applications.

Copper is one of the best anti-seize/anti-gall metals. Ray
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

I have seen copper coated/ colored bearings before, but never in a VW. And, I have had several sets of CLEMEX bearings, all of them were old stock, and all of them were inside groove as pictured above. Very nice bearings
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: new main bearing with copper color Reply with quote

The sticker on the front of the box ( with the $50.00 hand written ) is from CIP1.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: