Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

Disclaimers:
*This thread is intended to spark(pun intended Laughing ) discussion for the roadside spare dizzy carried in the car to get you home if the installed dizzy goes out on a trip, not intended as discussion of changing my installed dizzy (an OG Bosch 019)
*This thread is not another debate thread of SVDA vs centrifugal only- there are already lots of threads and discussion on that.
*Also this is not the thread to debate "points vs points replacements"- there are plenty of threads on that topic as well.
and as always....
*I searched but found no similar thread, if it exists- please direct me towards the light

Now for the fun stuff Cool

Considering that:
(1) good, OEM/NOS bosch dizzys are getting rarer by the day
(2) new, aftermarket dizzys seem to be a crapshoot as far as quality goes
(3) it is wise to carry a pre-timed, ready to go dizzy in the in-car spares bag
(4) most agree that a cheap 009 is acceptable for this role of emergency spare (I like to think of it as a doughnut spare tire-gets you there, but swap it ASAP)

What currently available 009 dizzy would you all recommend/have currently?
(either as your primary or roadside spare dizzy) I have found the following that seem even worth considering:

http://www.jbugs.com/product/0231178009.html (Japan?-"bosch style")
http://www.jbugs.com/product/0231178010.html (Kuhltek)
http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/2006.htm (Canada-accuvance)
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/009-Distributor-Made-in-North-America-p/009na.htm
as well as these RockAuto options (specifically the Spectra or Cardone select- ~$40 each)
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,1973,beetle,1.6l+h4,1368851,ignition,distributor,7108
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

I have used (now-vintage) German 009 distributors in both my VWs, since the 1970s. I carry spare points and condensers in each's trunk, but NEVER had to use those. And I used to travel 400 miles through Arizona-California desert in my 1970 VW, alone, and well before cell phone days.

I am interested in learning more about the KuhlTek distributor though; I assume that it is made in China to a certain set of specifications, but I don't know.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

I am with Cusser, never trashed a distributor, always carry extra points, condenser, cap and rotor, been running Pertronix since they came out and never been stranded.

Now there was a brief period I tried a Mallory Unilite, brief as in less than a month, during that time I carried a spare 009 just in case, had to install it one night after midnight South of Santa Fe, NM. The Mallory never got installed again. Lesson in how to waste $400 plus dollars and practice mechanic skills on the side of a very dark road.

Chances of trashing a distributor (Bosch style) with points or electronic are slim, spare parts take up less space.

But if you gotta have a spare get the CB one or look for a good used Brazilian or German 009.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

I have never carried a spare distributor. Rolling Eyes When my Beetle was my only car I carried spare points but never had to use them.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I have used (now-vintage) German 009 distributors in both my VWs, since the 1970s. I carry spare points and condensers in each's trunk, but NEVER had to use those. And I used to travel 400 miles through Arizona-California desert in my 1970 VW, alone, and well before cell phone days.

I am interested in learning more about the KuhlTek distributor though; I assume that it is made in China to a certain set of specifications, but I don't know.

Don't bother with the kuhltek, waste of time, and no end of sorrows as it rapidly wears and wont hold steady timing over time...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I have used (now-vintage) German 009 distributors in both my VWs, since the 1970s. I carry spare points and condensers in each's trunk, but NEVER had to use those.

busman78 wrote:
I am with Cusser, never trashed a distributor, always carry extra points, condenser, cap and rotor, been running Pertronix since they came out and never been stranded.
But if you gotta have a spare get the CB one or look for a good used Brazilian or German 009.

Good insight to the reliability of OG Bosch.
Lingwendil wrote:
Don't bother with the kuhltek, waste of time, and no end of sorrows as it rapidly wears and wont hold steady timing over time...

Alright, strike one for Kuhltek

Keep the insights coming!
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

i carry an oem bosch unit in each vw. i swap out the spare unit at tune up time and rebuild the other and carry that as a spare.... think its a muir idea. never used aftermarket so i have no insight, but an 009 works fantastic on the volksair.
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

For total surety and piece of mind, you should carry spares for every part on the car. Razz

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
For total surety and piece of mind, you should carry spares for every part on the car. Razz

Yes Laughing Laughing Laughing
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

In my experience/opinion:
Odds of part going bad and leaving you stranded:

Distributor: 1-100,000
Rotor: 1-100,000
Cap: 1-100,000
Condenser: 1-42,681

I did the math. 😊

But to answer your poll/question. The cheapest 009 I could find to get me home if I were to store one in the trunk for emergencies.
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

I actually like he idea of carrying a "ready to go" spare distributor. I've broken down twice with 2 different Bugs and both times it was the condenser that failed without warning. The new condensers are junk even if they say Bosch on it. For me it's much easier and quicker to just swap distributors since the condensers on mine are in the back and I need to either pull the distributer out, or turn it to get to the screw that holds the condenser in which then means having to set the timing again. So I'd rather swap distributors instead of having to carry a timing light and going thru all that work. Gotta find a spare for my 74 now.

Maybe this video will be of help to someone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xF4JHxAYto&t=138s
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

I have to do just that replace the distributor on the side of the road. Reason defective condenser. What I carry is the German 009 with clamp installed cap and rotor in place points set and pretimed. Hope that makes some sense. Swap the plug wires to proper location, takes a few minutes and on the road again.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

I carry a spare Echlin (Napa) points and condenser somewhere in the car. If it's a vacuum-only distributor like both my current VWs, I'll carry a spare vacuum can. There's nothing else on the distributor that can physically go wrong and leave me stranded……

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

The new Bosch condensers don't have their logo on them, not much of an
Used SVA= vacuum only distributors are still very common. These disributors need to match the carburetor.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:

That's one serious "bag of spare parts"!

AWESOME! I couldn't stop laughing! Laughing Laughing Cool Cool
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

If you end up on the side of the road w/ distributor/ignition related issues it is much faster/easier to swap out the distributor with one that has been previously timed and has the hold down clamp on it. This avoids the need to spend time adjusting things.

I would also add that this replacement distributor should be points/condenser based and NOT have an electronic ignition. In the dark if you accidentally install the electronic ignition wires backwards and short it out you are back where you started with a dead ignition system. The single wire of the points reduces the chance of a catastrophic failure.

If you are swapping a 009 in place of a SVDA/DVDA distributor be sure to carry a few screws to plug the loose end of the vacuum hoses.

I am surprised to see on the Rockauto site SVDA distributors going for so cheap. I knew there were rebuilt SVDA distributors but I thought they started around $120.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

I am surprised to see on the Rockauto site SVDA distributors going for so cheap. I knew there were rebuilt SVDA distributors but I thought they started around $120.

Yeah, my thoughts too- I would wager that they are made with asian cores.

How do you say Bosch in Mandarin? Laughing

Great discussion guys! Keep 'em coming! I'm learning lots of things over here!
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:

How do you say Bosch in Mandarin? Laughing

Botched Wink It’s the same in all languages. As in, Another run of Botched condensers. Not making fun of Mandarin speakers.

IMHO, Bosch is going down the path of EMPI.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

If on a long trip (not just putting around town), I carry spare points, condenser, my timing light, and tach/dwell. I carry a flashlight in case something happens when it’s dark.

I haven’t had a breakdown on a trip, thus far—-just an accelerator cable break on an in-town shopping trip, a mile away from home (four and one-half years ago).

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Back up / Spare /emergency Distributor Options Reply with quote

I carry a spare distrubitor on the clamp ready to go and an extra coil.

I don’t have a spare tire. Just plugs and a compressor.

Think about that
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: