Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

Hello (Bonjour ---> en français plus bas)

My name is Philippe, I'm french, I was born 4 years after my Bus and I live in Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes, France! Very Happy

I bought my first VW in 1988, it was a 1975 Beetle from Germany, and I owned a 67 Camper Split Bus from 1992 to 2001. I used to do a road trip between Spain and Portugal with, I sold it because in 1997 when a good friend of me found this US '65 walk thru in the Alps' mountains... I couldn't keep the both...

It was converted to a garden box, the old man stocked his coad and his garden tools inside... I don't know when It came from USA, in the seventies certainly. Think

I used to keep it all theses years under cover of a barn, and last year I brought it at home endly! A great moment, I'm so happy to have it near me, I began the works on body, it is not really rusty when I thought to the buses I saw on many topics here... Embarassed

My first picture is where I found it, 20 years ago... Rolling Eyes
(Sorry for mistakes, I write in french too Arrow )

Mon prénom est Philippe, je suis né 4 ans après mon Bus et je vis en Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes en France. Very Happy

J'ai acheté ma première VW en 1988, une Coccinelle de 75 ramenée d'Allemagne, et j'ai eu la chance de rouler en Combi Split Camper de 92 à 2001, avec lequel j'étais allé en Espagne et Portugal avec des copains, un périple de 5000 km ! Je l'ai revendu en 2001, car 4 ans auparavant un bon copain m'avait trouvé ce Bus deluxe walk thru modèle US dans un petit village des Hautes-Alpes et je ne pouvais pas en garder 2.

Il avait été converti en abri de jardin, le retraité bien sympa y stockait son charbon et ses outils de jardin ! Il le tenait de son dernier patron qui lui devait des sous... Je ne sais pas quand il a traversé l'Atlantique, certainement dans les années 70. Think

Je l'ai stocké à l'abri toutes ces années, et l'année dernière je l'ai enfin ramené chez moi et je suis trop content ! J'ai attaqué la carrosserie, il est vraiment pas trop pourri par rapport aux bus que j'ai vu sur le forum... Embarassed

La première photo que je poste montre comment je l'ai découvert il y a 20 ans... Rolling Eyes

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

Nice find. How's it looking now & what are your plans for it?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

Not Bad! Even has a front Bumper.

Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

Sweet!
Ce qui est écrit sur la plaque de M-code derrière le siège du passager avant?

ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Nice find. How's it looking now & what are your plans for it?

I used to keep it in a barn for 20 years:
Je l'ai conservé à l'abri pendant 20 ans: Confused

And last year I brought il at home!
Et l'année dernière je l'ai ramené à la maison! Laughing

I intend to put it on the road as soon as possible, I can't wait anymore!
Je veux rouler avec dès que possible, j'en ai marre d'attendre! Wink

Last edited by ippocamp on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

Clara wrote:
Sweet!
Ce qui est écrit sur la plaque de M-code derrière le siège du passager avant?

425: Export bus for USA
002: Sealed beam headlights
081: Walk thru
114: 6 pop-out windows

Wink
ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

The first job was to remove wood panel inside...
Le premier boulot a été d'enlever les lambris à l'intérieur...

They finished in BBQ lol...
Ils ont finis dans le BBQ... Laughing

ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

Amazing: previous owner cut the body to access to the gas tank... Shocked
Étonnante cette découpe pour accéder au réservoir...

I don't know what I do with that, if I weld it or let as it is...
Je ne sais pas si je ressoude ou si je le laisse démontable... Think
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

I mean, it could be useful? Your carpet would hide it. I'd be concerned with how it affects the structural rigidity of the bus.. will that allow the body to flex too much?
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

seems obvious to me! clearly you go full custom at this point. Take out the gas tank and relocate it under the bus. Custom gas tank under the cargo floor, between the jack points, or perhaps between the frame rails. That should give you enough capacity.

With that out of the way you just go all the way back to the fans shroud, similar to how the
Barndoors are built. Much more interior space for your new camper Smile

And, you can ALWAYS get to your gas tank. Problem solved. From the outside it will look completely the same, no downside in the engine compartment, will just look like a single cab from back there.

Might even ride better with the weight of the gas down low and more in the center front to back.

Or fix it back to stock, i would never leave this open to the engine compartment, this is a firewall for god's sake.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
I mean, it could be useful? Your carpet would hide it. I'd be concerned with how it affects the structural rigidity of the bus.. will that allow the body to flex too much?

I agree with you, and I don't think it's important for rigidity.
I'll improve the way to close it, it's really bad done... Mad
Cool your '66 Beetle!! Wink
ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
seems obvious to me! clearly you go full custom at this point. Take out the gas tank and relocate it under the bus. Custom gas tank under the cargo floor, between the jack points, or perhaps between the frame rails. That should give you enough capacity.

With that out of the way you just go all the way back to the fans shroud, similar to how the
Barndoors are built. Much more interior space for your new camper Smile

And, you can ALWAYS get to your gas tank. Problem solved. From the outside it will look completely the same, no downside in the engine compartment, will just look like a single cab from back there.

Might even ride better with the weight of the gas down low and more in the center front to back.

Or fix it back to stock, i would never leave this open to the engine compartment, this is a firewall for god's sake.

Hi Uli!
In fact, the gas tank is still at its original place, and it will stay there! Wink
My question was if I keep the possibility to open or not. I think so, but I'll improve the closure, to have à good firewall between gas tank and passagers compartiment, I agree with you. Rolling Eyes
ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

Hello
This year I continue the work, I prepare the parts before welding:

Bonjour, en ce début d'année j'ai repris les travaux, je prépare les pièces qui seront soudées:

The Bus stayed outdoor without hatchback...
Le Combi est resté dehors sans hayon AR. Embarassed

I bought this part, it come from Algeria... It costed more than I paid the entire vehicle 23 years ago... Crying or Very sad
J'avais acheté ce bout de tôle à la Bourse de Valence, découpé sur un Combi en Algérie... Il m'a couté plus cher que le Combi tout entier il y a 23 ans...

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

good choice Philippe

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
ELMORT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

Salut Philippe,
J'ai moi aussi acheté des pièces de combi qui venaient d'Algérie, c'était Farid ton vendeur??? Beau projet en tous cas, j'ai hâte de voir la suite, super base, Great story!!!! Go on!!!!
ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

ELMORT wrote:
Salut Philippe,
J'ai moi aussi acheté des pièces de combi qui venaient d'Algérie, c'était Farid ton vendeur??? Beau projet en tous cas, j'ai hâte de voir la suite, super base, Great story!!!! Go on!!!!

Hi Elmort
Oui je pense que c'est Farid, il vient tous les ans à Valence! Toi aussi tu en refais un? Mets-moi le lien de ton topic STP! Wink

Je vais pouvoir continuer les travaux si on reste en confinement à cause du Covid-19, à condition que je ne l’attrape pas... Crying or Very sad

I'll be able to continue works on the Bus if I don't catch the Covid-19, during the confinement period... Embarassed
ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

Hello

Yesterday was a great day, the first welding day on my bus! Very Happy
Hier était un grand jour, le premier jour de soudures sur le bus:

Little recall how the Bus was before start the work:
Petit rappel comment le bus était avant de commencer:

My neighbour Alex in action: Laughing
Voici mon voisin Alex en action!

ippocamp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1965 Bus Deluxe - ippocamp from France Reply with quote

Continuation and end on the right side:
Suite et fin du côté droit: Rolling Eyes
[/img]

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: