Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash brake warning light issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1968Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Dash brake warning light issues Reply with quote

I am non-mechanical but I am working to restore a 1968 Beetle. After several issues with the turn signals not working we finally found the bad wire and got everything working again. When I went to put my radio back in I noticed a thin wire had fallen down from above the radio slot. The wire is coming from the flasher relay (on the back of the flasher switch). I think the wire goes to the red brake warning light on the dash but am not sure. I cannot locate one from a 1968 bug and cannot find a video showing how to remove the brake warning light. I do not want to break the light set up when I take it out.
I am trying to find out how to remove the brake warning light and find a picture of the back of the brake warning light to see if it is supposed to have two or more tabs on it for electrical connections. This is my first time on this site and I really appreciate any help! Jacksonville FL: 1968Bug
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash brake warning light issues Reply with quote

From a mix of Samba research, the ACVW 'idiot guide', the bentley manual, and haynes manuals....

I have a non-functional brake warning light too. Have done some research on the procedure and found a picture I saved for the day I tackle it.

First, it seems as though there are two main variants of the warning light, differing in # of connections(up to '71 had 3 connections I believe, after had extra), but apparently share the same part # (yours should have 3 connectors)

Here's 2 threads discussing the wiring of the light, Ashman is on those threads- he's an electrical genius.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=632247&highlight=brake+warning+light+wiring
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=579642&highlight=brake+warning+light+wiring

Here's one that speaks directly to a 69 brake warning light (should be same as yours) note the retaining 'nubs' on the side of the light housing which need to be depressed to release the light from it's mounting place in the dash
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=638522&highlight=brake+warning+light

Most things (if not all)mounted in the dash are removed from the dash by pulling/pushing them into the passenger compartment, which means you'll be working from the front side of the dash (inside the front trunk up underneath the cowl, above the wires, etc.) for most of the job.

If you have very small hands, you may be able to just reach up and do this, or with a long pair of curved needlenose pliers.
If that doesnt work, removing the windshield wiper motor/armature assembly (and radio if so equipped) may be necessary to give you room to work.

To remove/replace the warning light assembly
There are retaining 'nubs' on the warning light housing which need to be depressed as it is pressed through the dash into the passenger compartment. Then fish the wires through the mounting hole you just pushed the light through and hook it up per the pictures in the threads above. Then push it back into it's mount.

If you are very lucky, have small hands, or have removed the wiper assembly....

You may be able to get the wire connections on without removing the light from the dash.

Pic of connections for later switch in case yours was replaced with the later switch:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck, hope I've helped!
Also noticed this is your first post! Wahoo! Cool
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
1968Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Update: Dash brake warning light issues Reply with quote

The advice and info I received (in this post) was awesome. My 1968 Brake Warning light was very easy to remove (felt the back of the light, pinched both sides and simply pushed it out of the dash inside the car). I managed to get the wires hooked up and it now works. Minor issues here and there with the electrical but I now know why everyone with VW Bugs told me to come to this site and forum. Love me some Beetles and now I have the courage to fix mine and ask for advice! Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: