Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What size engine should I build?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

I have a 1600 engine that's not running and I've been trying to figure out what I want to build it into. What I want is a daily driver that has power but wont have over heating issues.

I was talking to my local vw shop and they said anything bigger than a 1700cc I may run into overheating issues but id like to ask the community, does anyone run a 18, 19, or 2100cc engine and have issues?

The main reason I dont want to build a clean 1600cc is because i have an a** of a younger brother who talks all the time because my beetle is so slow. I want to build something that has decent speed but something I can drive daily without breaking down between home and work.

Any suggestions are helpful.
SubbinNCali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

I run a 2275 that Chico built me from a core daily. Anywhere between 50-150 miles a day with zero issues. I say build it big. Heat issues will come from the quality of the build, not the size.
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

You building, or get a shop to build?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

I think the answer depends on what your budget is, and what your daily commute looks like. I wouldn't want to dump a bunch of money into a big motor to sit on I-5 in traffic all afternoon. 1776's have a good reliable rep for daily driver. I had 2. Put dual Kads on one with a 110 cam and mildly ported heads. It was very reliable.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

Yes overheating!
Well, Given no mechanical problems and a good doghouse engine, it's a function of how the engine breathes more than anything else. Decide on what you want to spend on carbs and go from there. Small Dual IDF's or Dual DRLA's make a dual port bug engine really breath! You can find used carbs here on the samba. Some will be junk others are quite nice. Pot Luck. But you've got to be fearless to buy them and rebuild them yourself but they are very friendly carburetors to work on. Once you understand how air-fuel ratios and the cam combo controls heat in these air-cooled engines you won't even need a sump or an oil cooler on a daily driver.

There is a very good chance that your old engine is shot. Crank no good. Case hammered out. Heads cracked. So probably need another engine if you're planning a quick turn-around time for this.
mikewilkinson007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

SubbinNCali wrote:
I run a 2275 that Chico built me from a core daily. Anywhere between 50-150 miles a day with zero issues. I say build it big. Heat issues will come from the quality of the build, not the size.

This all day. And having everything sealed up properly.
Bosch 034

Long Gone: 70 Vert, 66, 68, 73SB, 70, 72, 61 Rag and a 64 with a cinder block in the spare tire well.
SubbinNCali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

Bock wrote:
I think the answer depends on what your budget is, and what your daily commute looks like. I wouldn't want to dump a bunch of money into a big motor to sit on I-5 in traffic all afternoon. 1776's have a good reliable rep for daily driver. I had 2. Put dual Kads on one with a 110 cam and mildly ported heads. It was very reliable.

Agree with both cost and Kads. Before the 2275, I drove the same commute with a 1600 and dual kads I purchased from Kaddie Shack. Very simple to set up and trouble free. I also knew my long block was in good shape too.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

I would consider what kind of gas mileage you're looking for. Small displacement bug engines can get 30 MPG in a bug and large ones will probably still be above 20 MPG in a Bug but less around town. The following would all work nicely with the small 40IDF Weber or 36DRLA Dellorto carbs.

1585cc Stock 85.5mm pistons and cylinders with cam and carbs 60HP
1679cc with just 88mm pistons and cylinders with cam and carbs 75HP
1968cc or 2054cc are possible with a 74mm stroke crank and AA Performance P&C kits if you open the case and heads for 94's. Double or more the stock horsepower. I would consider these all, pretty small displacement. Note! (There is an article in the last "HOT VW" about builds and its kind of negative on using 94mm opened heads because the cut across the stud hole is a likely problem area.) (However it would be not so much concern with the 1968cc.)

If going with new carbs you will probably wind up with a set of these EMPI's for 1/2 the cost of new Webers but I have never tried them.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Danwvw on Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

Need more details to tell you what size to build.
What carburetors and exhaust systems are you willing to run?
Gearing?
What kind of conditions, city, highway, mountain passes?

Are larger engines have more problems?
Heck no, but it true there are limits to everything.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

OrangeMango wrote:
I have a 1600 engine that's not running and I've been trying to figure out what I want to build it into. What I want is a daily driver that has power but wont have over heating issues.

I was talking to my local vw shop and they said anything bigger than a 1700cc I may run into overheating issues but id like to ask the community, does anyone run a 18, 19, or 2100cc engine and have issues?

The main reason I dont want to build a clean 1600cc is because i have an a** of a younger brother who talks all the time because my beetle is so slow. I want to build something that has decent speed but something I can drive daily without breaking down between home and work.

If you have limited experience with VW I’d start off with a properly built 1600
It’s the cheapest and you could always add on performance items to boost performance later. You want advice go over to performance forum and they’ll have you building a 2332 because it’s all they know, looks like it filtered down here too. Very Happy
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
OrangeMango wrote:

If you have limited experience with VW I’d start off with a properly built 1600
It’s the cheapest and you could always add on performance items to boost performance later. You want advice go over to performance forum and they’ll have you building a 2332 because it’s all they know, looks like it filtered down here too. Very Happy

Just because it says 1968-up does that mean it got to have a PICT-34 Solex on it?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

I have a 2165 big bore stroker in my rail and and now a turbocharged 1600 single port in a Baja bug.

If I had it to do all over again the rail would have a stock stroke 1600 or 1776 with good pistons and a turbskie.

I will never build another big cam, big displacement dual carb air Cooled VW again.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
I have a 2165 big bore stroker in my rail and and now a turbocharged 1600 single port in a Baja bug.

If I had it to do all over again the rail would have a stock stroke 1600 or 1776 with good pistons and a turbskie.

I will never build another big cam, big displacement dual carb air Cooled VW again.

Turbo's run hot on the highway don't they?
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

Danwvw wrote:
Krochus wrote:

No why would it. At low engine loads the turbo is basically nothing but a muffler with moving parts. I pull the same manifold vacuum on the highway as I did before turbocharging.

I guess in theory a really improperly geared car that was pulling boost driving down the road could run hot.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

I like one of the motivations the Poster wants to build an engine as he says;
([The main reason I dont want to build a clean 1600cc is because i have an a** of a younger brother who talks all the time because my beetle is so slow. I want to build something that has decent speed but something I can drive daily without breaking down between home and work.])
A flawless built 1745cc will do the trick. Do some homework and it is an engine Hot VW's did a few years ago.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
Danwvw wrote:
Krochus wrote:

No why would it. At low engine loads the turbo is basically nothing but a muffler with moving parts. I pull the same manifold vacuum on the highway as I did before turbocharging.

I guess in theory a really improperly geared car that was pulling boost driving down the road could run hot.

Well, I have zero experience with turbo's But it's got to heat up more! Tell me. How long would one hold up living in the Rockies and climbing a pass 30 minutes at highway speeds in the thin air every day? Or perhaps in the "OP"'s "OrangeMango"'s case maybe Donner!
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

At altitude turbocharging will have a HUGE advantage.

You will be able to climb hills at far fewer revs because your engine isn’t struggling to breath it will be able to operate just like you were at sea level

Fun historic fact turbocharging (then called turbosuperchargers) were developed just prior to WW2 by the Army Air Corps to give it’s aero engines good high altitude performance. This is why the Allison v1750 in the mustang sucked at high altitude compared to a Merlin. A turbocharged Allison like the p38 used couldn’t fit in the airframe. But the Merlin’s 2 stage supercharger was the next best thing.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

for me I see no reason to build a small engine. also if your local builder wont do it thats because he cant do it so dont ask unless you want a swap meet trip to get rid of it. a 2332 shoud do just fine....if it's built right .
OrangeMango
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

Wow i didnt expect so many responses in one day. No i don't need this to be a quick build, I have a 1600cc DP in my 72 right now and thats my daily driver, this will be a project so ill have time also meaning with time comes money.

I plan on building it myself, I could buy a prebuilt 1776 from my local shop but I want to be the one to build it. I'm not too worried about gas milage, as of now i drive a short distance to and from work but my current engine gest bad mpg so anything getting about 20mpg sounds fine.

I'm in Sacramento CA so my altitude isnt high, just about 30 above sea level. I don't want to turbo it, 1 because I know trubos can get expensive and 2 because I've heard turbos kill engines faster.

Exaust I like is the 4 tip I've seen but I've read conflicting reviews on if the help or hurt vs stock exhaust. I'm not the best at adjusting carbs, my family usually take our cars to a local shop to get dialed in correctly, we can usually get it good enough to drive.

What I'm getting from everyones responces are build a 1776 or a 1968
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What size engine should I build? Reply with quote

From the Performance Engine forum....
Engine Builds / Combos - while the theme is best performance (HP and track times) you can find comments on reliable street motor setups.

From this forum's stickies:
Stock 1600 DP rebuild, step by step - walks you thru all the steps in tear down and rebuild of a stock 1600DP (1585cc) engine. In case you were thinking of doing it yourself. The long block build is basically the same regardless of displacement. Larger displacement means different P&Cs and more machine work to get larger stroke cranks and pistons to fit in the case/head, but assembly is nearly the same.

To me, it really comes down to how much $$$ are you willing to put into the engine?
Stock engine is probably the least expensive and most reliable as long as corners are not cut. You may be able to reuse many/all of the parts you already have.
As the displacement grows you will need more non-stock parts and more machine work. For example, above 1776cc (stock 69mm stroke x larger 90.5mm P&Cs) you probably want to look at replacing the stock DP heads with aftermarket CNC ported heads to allow the cylinders to breath easier. When you get above the 2.0L point you have already invested in a stroker crank and larger pistons, why would you want to limit their potential with small stock port heads and a stock carb. All of these extras cost $$. The point I am trying to make is that as displacement grow the cost will increase exponentially because of the larger number of non-stock parts will compound. So, how much do you want to spend?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: