Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carb headache
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
horse1944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: carb headache Reply with quote

I hope this is in the correct listing if not I apoligize
I have a 1943 kubel with a 53-54 engine it was running good until last fall when I found a crack in the 28 pci carb which wasnt repairable so i purchased a rebilt 28 and rebilt the fuel pump while i was at it..here comes the fun part now i have a slight hesitation when opening the throttle and on a rare occasion it wants to pop back through the carb it idles smooth and if you slowly open the throttle no issues ..i checked the timing its good...fuel pressure is good ...Im new to vw's so Im needing help any would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: carb headache Reply with quote

the first thing i would check if it hesitates when you open the throttle quickly is the little accelerator tube in the carb. Take the airfilter off and see if fuel squirts in there, might need a mirror to see.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: carb headache Reply with quote

How long has the gas been sitting? Is it fresh?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: carb headache Reply with quote

A few things to consider:

I think the pump volume is adjustable on the 28PCI carbs (it's been too many years for me to be sure, but you can select a different hole on the operating arm, for more or less volume.

When you tighten the 4 screws on the pump diaphragm, you should leave them slightly loose (so the diaphragm can move just a bit, open the throttle completely, and tighten the accel pump cover screws while holding it open. This ensures a full stroke and will avoid tearing the diaphragm as it ages.

Also, check that the squirt is aimed in the tiny opening gap between the throttle plate and the carb throat. It should hit neither. You can move the brass nozzle, but be sure it's re-peened in place after, so it doesn't come loose and get sucked into your combustion chamber.
einsperren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: carb headache Reply with quote

If the engine spits back into the Carb. the accelerator pump charge is delivered too soon. If the accelerator pump charge delivery is late a lag or flat spot will occur.
horse1944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: carb headache Reply with quote

Well here’s a update ended up changing two jets out seems this Kübel likes it’s fuel lol took her out and it ran a lot better is a understatement But I am curious it has been bitterly cold here and the engine preheat door are not working correctly so could that have anything to do with it. If so is there any way to mount some sort of hand control also is there any diagram of the linkage for them thanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: carb headache Reply with quote

horse1944 wrote:
... But I am curious it has been bitterly cold here and the engine preheat door are not working correctly so could that have anything to do with it. If so is there any way to mount some sort of hand control also is there any diagram of the linkage for them thanks

can you post a picture of your setup?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
horse1944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: carb headache Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

horse1944
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: carb headache Reply with quote

These are the doors I spoke of there no linkage what so ever so one I’m guessing this affects the way the engine warms up lol so is it possible to simply attach a couple of choke cables for hand control unless the linkage is readily available
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: carb headache Reply with quote

Those flaps are only for turning the heat on/off to heat the inside of the car and will not affect the running of the engine.

General heater info:
There should be little arms from the heater boxes to the small circular piece that comes up from the flap. These connect through the heater box to the heater cables and up to the heater knob up front.
Example of little arm that comes out

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: carb headache Reply with quote

The kubelwagen heater control is located on the rear engine tin on the right side. The Eastern European kubel parts reproducers have a kit with all the parts to add this feature. David
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: