Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Pay no mind to the name on the windshield: her name is Sonya and she's gorgeous.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've been scouring the classifieds, print and online, for months. I've seen horrors, I've seen air where metal should have been...buses where rust would have been an improvement.

Picked her up for about 1,700 bucks. Engine started first try, undercarriage looked pretty solid. I saw very little rust.

And here was the decider: pretty solid interiors.

Sure, it is missing a full bench, but compared to the completely bare buses I've seen, this one was fully furnished.

Oh, I can tell the engine has missing parts. How many, I am not sure.

tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Today, they took the engine down and took a look around:

They are going over the engine, transmission, suspension, fuel lines, the works. Tomorrow they are going parts-shopping and, judging by the very long sheet of paper they took, it's going to be quite a trip.

I'm going to change the color, but I'd like to keep the top half white and the bottom half in another color. Yellow, maybe? Red? Or the classic beige.
Still mulling it over. Any recommendations?
You folks think it'll be worth it to put the spare on the front?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Yes, Sonya is quite a Bay Window beauty! And the best part is... she will continue getting better looking as you make Sonya your own. Keep us posted on her progress.

I see her in red. A fiery Latina!

And glad to see the engine is being looked after.
Was that a small gas puddle on the left side? Shocked

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

working on the transmission:

I forgot to say: the dashboard is completely disconnected and in a bit of a sorry state.

Fuel gauge (non-working. We ran out of fuel taking the bus from the original place to my home)

Fuse box:

Heater levers: the tops are missing, but those can be acquired.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Yes, Sonya is quite a Bay Window beauty! And the best part is... she will continue getting better looking as you make Sonya your own. Keep us posted on her progress.

I see her in red. A fiery Latina!

And glad to see the engine is being looked after.
Was that a small gas puddle on the left side? Shocked

Heh, no. Just rainwater. Sonya does have a slight oil drip problem, but it's probably due to bad repair work over the years. You can't see it on the muffler, but it's actually held together with clamps and some sort of tube. That crap is gone and it will be welded properly.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Also, painting the engine parts. Is this recommended?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

That's quite the project, but for the equivalent of $1700 a semi driveable bus is hard to beat, looks great!

The engine case, heads and cylinders are best left bare, the sheet metal tin that directs the cooling air can be painted with anything you like.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Edited for geographic correction... Laughing

Nice score! You're right... there is a whole of junk out there with really high prices. You got a really good deal for your price. Just reinstalling a headliner would cost damn near the cost of what you paid for the bus.

My thoughts... don't put the spare tire on the front; put it where it belongs. The weight of all that plus the holes drilled for the bracket often seems to damage the front clip.

Paint it the factory color. The M Plate has the answer for the correct color. Looks like the Type 1 engine is correct for your bus? Fairly certain the Type 4 was introduced in 1972 for models destined for the US/Canada... while the Type 1 remained for other countries for some time. I might be wrong on this assertion, but regardless, that Type 1 will make it a lot easier and cheaper for engine parts, machine work and upgrades in comparison to the Type 4.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your bus with us! And welcome!

Was this bus made in Mexico? The Puebla factory?
Does it have an M-code plate behind the driver's seat? I'd be very interested in seeing that.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Tita
in Hawaiian Pidgin: 1) sometimes, a term of endearment used to call younger sisters, nieces, especially if said girls are sassy and precocious, 2) used more commonly to describe a really tough girl or woman, usually of Hawaiian or Polynesian ethnicity.

Aloha
tp
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Thanks for sharing your bus with us! And welcome!

Was this bus made in Mexico? The Puebla factory?
Does it have an M-code plate behind the driver's seat? I'd be very interested in seeing that.

Will take a look at it, but I'm almost sure it is a Puebla bus. Local girl, the dealership that sold her is not 6 miles from my home.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
Tita
in Hawaiian Pidgin: 1) sometimes, a term of endearment used to call younger sisters, nieces, especially if said girls are sassy and precocious, 2) used more commonly to describe a really tough girl or woman, usually of Hawaiian or Polynesian ethnicity.

Aloha
tp

The owner was a lady nicknamed Tita. She held back tears during the transaction. I told her Tita would be well-cared for and I aim to keep that promise.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Oh yeah, lose all of those blue fuses ASAP!, I'm not sure where you would find a diagram for a Mexibus but I really doubt they used anything that heavy, bad expensive smoke may result if you don't.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
honestcharlie56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

I'm about a third through my 1974 as well, glad to see your progress!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Oh yeah, lose all of those blue fuses ASAP!, I'm not sure where you would find a diagram for a Mexibus but I really doubt they used anything that heavy, bad expensive smoke may result if you don't.

I think I found a diagram from an English language owner's manual. Some differences between an Argentinian and one in three languages that I found. I'll try and see if my local Combi club has more info.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Barely legible. They painted over it and it's been faded over time. Nuts.
Anyway, the numbers are:
engine AF-144703
Serial No. 234-212-834-2

From the invoice, the bus was sold 6 days after my birthdate, and it even had a tool bag. Neptune blue, type 231. It originally cost 55,300.44 pesos, which translated to 4,424 dollars and 3 cents.

Last edited by tonysantacruz on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Here it is again:

My bodyshop guy used some paint remover and I was able to see it properly.

Not too shabby.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Ok, looks like it's not tbe M plate, but the chassis plate. I'll go back to check if it has a plate at all.
AircooledHome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Tita!! Great name for a bus. Gl with build!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Went to the shop yesterday to see how the bus is coming along and the guy showed me the intake manifold, which has a small hole. I didn’t take any pictures of it, will do tomorrow, but this is the part number: 113 129 701 AE. Is it safe to weld or it’s better to replace?

Last edited by tonysantacruz on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: