Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:
Last one on the back goes to the canister or the oil cap?

Ahhhh...., didn't spot that in your pic, the smaller one on the front goes to the canister (if equipped), the slightly larger one on the bottom of the snout goes to the oil cap, sorry for the confusion.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
tonysantacruz wrote:
Last one on the back goes to the canister or the oil cap?

Ahhhh...., didn't spot that in your pic, the smaller one on the front goes to the canister (if equipped), the slightly larger one on the bottom of the snout goes to the oil cap, sorry for the confusion.

Thanks! Will put it that way.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

The restoration continues at a glacial pace. I have lots of spare parts here, but the main things I wanted, the ignition loom and switch (two things I really need), dash vents and windshield wiper nozzles (things I want) are stuck in mail hell. Bought some from a british chap on eBay, they are about a week past the supposed date of arrival and I'm starting proceeds to have my money refunded.
The ignition switch was sent to me from Pierside parts, but for god knows what reason, they opted for a delivery method that has a tracking number, but not really, and the USPS site says that they pre-generated the label, but I don't know if it was even sent (that one is from Feb 21st.).

I'm asking for refunds and I'm going to go with the chaps from Custom & Comercial. Those parts arrived in 4 days flat.
tommu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:
The restoration continues at a glacial pace. I have lots of spare parts here, but the main things I wanted, the ignition loom and switch (two things I really need), dash vents and windshield wiper nozzles (things I want) are stuck in mail hell. Bought some from a british chap on eBay, they are about a week past the supposed date of arrival and I'm starting proceeds to have my money refunded.
The ignition switch was sent to me from Pierside parts, but for god knows what reason, they opted for a delivery method that has a tracking number, but not really, and the USPS site says that they pre-generated the label, but I don't know if it was even sent (that one is from Feb 21st.).

I'm asking for refunds and I'm going to go with the chaps from Custom & Comercial. Those parts arrived in 4 days flat.

I've had the USPS tracking number fail a couple of times. Both parcels arrived on time. I think they don't get scanned properly when they start their journey so the consumer facing tracking system never gets updated.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Packages are steadily arriving. I forgot to factor in the transit time for Customs.

Ok, I think I messed something up. My bus has this type of ignition base:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As you can see, it's under the wiper lever, goes to the side kinda thing.

The ignition is currently broken and it's been relocated to the side of the dash.

I bought this:

IGNITION SWITCH, electrical portion only, 1971 Bug, 1971-1974 Bus (1974 Bus, through chassis # 2142164059) thinking it could work on my 74 bus.

To go with this:

113905855B-Hella with keys
in

However, I was told that this part

OEM Part Number: 111905865L Item No:26 Stock Code:S02014 works better for a 74 bus.

So, I'm torn. Which one goes in that ignition box? I'm going to pull the driver's stalk and wheel in order to have the floors replaced, so it's no big deal to replace it. I just want to know I'm using the right parts.
Thanks.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

tonysantacruz wrote:
.....I bought this:

IGNITION SWITCH, electrical portion only, 1971 Bug, 1971-1974 Bus (1974 Bus, through chassis # 2142164059) thinking it could work on my 74 bus.

To go with this:

113905855B-Hella with keys
in

However, I was told that this part

OEM Part Number: 111905865L Item No:26 Stock Code:S02014 works better for a 74 bus.

So, I'm torn. Which one goes in that ignition box? I'm going to pull the driver's stalk and wheel in order to have the floors replaced, so it's no big deal to replace it. I just want to know I'm using the right parts.
Thanks.

You want the top one, the ignition switch changed part way through 1974, your bus uses the earlier style. The wiper and signal switch also changed at that time, you have the 73 to mid 74 style.
That lower switch is for the 74+ unit which has all the switches integrated into one assembly.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks.

Bus is coming along slowly. I went to see her today and, surprise! they broke the rear glass window when they removed it.

I really dug the way the old tags were there. They gave her character.
The upholstery guy won't see me for another 15 days and the engine is still sitting on the floor.

I'm arming myself with patience. The bus is worth it.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Bit of a pickle, here.
They are finally working on the floor and the seats will be re-upholster. Problem is the floor is like this:

No holes, just the dips.

I have these clamps:

(Six long ones, two short ones, plus the wavy plates to the right.

Now how do I fasten the seats? Do I need

or

For the clamps to attach to?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

You'll have to weld the plates and brackets on, keep an eye on this thread for the measurements which hopefully are coming soon: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8727104#8727104

Слава Україні!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Went to check on the bus today and had my fears confirmed: the fuel evaporator system is in shambles. Going by the Rstwell diagram, they cut the pipe at the 24 part on both sides and the rods that come out of the fuel tank are connected to air.

This is going to take some doing. What can I use to replace the cut pipes?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

1/4" or 5/16" steel brake tubing (whatever matches the remaining lines), connect it with short sections of fuel line and clamps.

Слава Україні!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

So, work has been quite slow, but we’re nearing the reassembling stage.

Engine is still out of the bus, so work can be done to the fuel tank and the fuel vapor lines.

It’s been out of work for about three months and I don’t like what I see inside.

What can I do to it? Coat the isides with some chemical?

Outside:

Now, the fuel vapor lines are cut:

I’ve tried the Ratwell diagram, but that's for a FI and mine has a single carb. Question: the blue marks would be the lines coming from the pillars, one would hook up with the canister with a “T”, but where would I send the other line coming out from the tee? To the tank? Or should I skip the tee and just close the circuit using the canister.

Btw, this is my canister. Is it i. Working condition or I bought a paperweight?

The small pipe is supposed to be connected to what?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Read this for the tank, coating is only a last resort if it's peppered with pinholes you can't solder up: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=378770

The vapor lines all Tee together and connect to the small nipple on that canister (if you can blow through all the ports it's good), the larger nipple next to the small one goes to the aircleaner and the one on the other end to the fan shroud.

The plumbing is fairly straightforward, each line leads across the top of the tank sloping upwards, then turns back towards the rear and leads up into the cavity behind the cooling intake grills, up there they get temporarily larger in a "bulb" shape to gravity separate any liquids back to the tank, then they reverse back down and lead across the roof of the engine compartment to the tee.

Слава Україні!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, Busdaddy. Now it all makes sense and, hopefully, this week will be sorted out.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Looks like the logjam cleared and the folks at the shop have done more in the last four days than in the past six weeks.

Fuel evap connections are ok and the fuel tank is back 8n its place. They put the engine back today and they will work on the electrics this week.
Looks like May is the month I’ll have Sonya up and running.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Signs of life from the shop guy, but no dice for the next three weeks.

Now I hit an9ther snag. I was very happy because I thought I had a replacement steering wheel. This one:

You can see the Germany tag under and the part no. 211 415 651 G.

Well, it doesn’t fit the steering column.

The old wheel is usable, but in a very sorry state. It’s missing a chunk on the top, where I think was the part number.

The steering column “bolt”, the stripped one with the pinions is thicker, and my new wheel does not fir. The old wheel hole is wider.
So, what can I do? Get another steering wheel? How do I begin to look for them? I was assured that this one would fit a 1974 VW bus, and it doesn’t.

Any advise in part numbers and such? I tried to post the measurement with the measuring tape.

Thanks.
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Best pics I have of the old wheel.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that, whoever sold you that wheel was making it up as they went along, it's a late style version.
Have a look at this: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=433357&highlight=steering+wheel+difference

Слава Україні!
tonysantacruz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

My search for a steering wheel hit a roadblock, but I did find someone who could restore it. Fingers crossed, it'll be done in 3 weeks.

Now I'm looking at the wiring. The original is in bad shape. I'm trying to see if the electrical guy could replace wire for wire, but it may be outside of his abilities.
I do have options, but I'm not certain, owing to the fact that my 74 is a 73 and a half in some respects.

I contacted Bus Depot asking if this: http://www.busdepot.com/211971028m
would fit mine. I was told no, it won't fit it.

Now I'm checking out https://www.candc-camping.com/vw-engine_parts/wiri...-79_36583/ and

Would it work with my bus?

My final option is carting my unfinished but 900 miles to and from, and having it done by a pro in Mexico City, but it's about 2200 bucks round trip with the movers, not counting parts and service.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Here's Sonya, a Mexican 1974 beauty Reply with quote

Both of those harness are the same part and both will work in your bus, neither includes any of the wiring under the dash, it's only the main harness between the fuse box and engine comparment.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 13

Jump to: