Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Super beetle problems! Please help
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bailey75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Super beetle problems! Please help Reply with quote

My 1975 super beetle is having some issues

I just returned from a month trip overseas. Left my beetle locked up in the garage whilst I was gone. After pulling the beetle out of the garage, there was a puddle under my car. I first assumed it was oil. But then it dried up throughout the day and didn’t leave a mark. 24 hours later after only driving 50km or so. I park up. The next morning I go out to my car to start a new day and there is a huge puddle of oil sat under my car. The largest oil puddle I’ve ever seen. Any suggestions and ways to fix this?

Second problem. My fuel gauge. I have had problems with this since the day I bought my beetle. I filled up my tank completely yesterday. Drove 50km and now my fuel gauge says I am on practically empty. I was used to it not showing the correct amount of fuel. But this amount seemed a bit drastic.

Any help would be much appreciated. I am new to the Volkswagen scene. So I don’t know a whole lot. Thank you in advance
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Super beetle problems! Please help Reply with quote

What’s the oil reading on the dipstick after you noticed oil puddle. Car been running hot last time you drove it? Did you have oil leak on to your heater boxes? Good compression in all four cylinders? What kind of movement when you thrust pulley back and forth?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
flyboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Super beetle problems! Please help Reply with quote

These engines are notorious for taking in water. While sitting up in a garage, if the temps and humidity vary alot, the engine will get water in it. Sometimes alot more than you would imagine. Run the car til its warm and check the oil. If the oil is milky, this could be part of the problem. If this has happened it would explain why the first puddle disappeared.
Popping off a valve cover will reveal water too as it will look like snot all over your pieces parts.
Porsche 914
09 Z06 Vette track car
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Super beetle problems! Please help Reply with quote

With the combination of an oil leak and apparent loss of a good portion of the fuel in the tank, my major concern would be to check that the fuel pump isn't ruptured and dumping all that fuel into the crankcase. Pull the dipstick and check that the level isn't showing high and that the oil doesn't smell strongly of gasoline.
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Super beetle problems! Please help Reply with quote

Are you sure the puddles weren’t gasoline? This would perhaps account for your fuel gauge showing so little after filling up and not traveling that far. Do you smell gas?

Check oil level before you start the engine again. If you did lose a huge amount of oil, it would be prudent to check the level of it. Add oil if necessary, of course; then get your head under the engine and see if you can pinpoint the leak.

Check inner side of oil cap for milky moisture.

I can’t imagine where all the water came from unless your garage has a big roof leak—assuming you don’t live in a rain forest, that is.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Super beetle problems! Please help Reply with quote

Give the top the carb a good tapping. I think the float needle valve is sticking after setting all that time and it's now not closing off good so the engine sucking a lot of gas and it's going into the oil and then overflowing.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Super beetle problems! Please help Reply with quote

If your fuel gage reads empty - maybe your tank *is* empty. Do you know how to disconnect the sending unit on top of the gas tank? Pull up the carpet and take out those five little bolts. Then look inside with a flashlight. If the tank is empty, then your fuel gauge is fine but you have one of the problems above (carb or fuel pump). Don't drive until you fix this!
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: