Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Two years ago I was bitten with a cam and lifter compatibility in my stock bus engine, and I'm building another one while I run out the clock on the current engine.

This time around I'm going with a new case since a cam bearing is spun in the current case, and I DO NOT WANT to deal with cam/lifter compatibility issues again.

I found these in my garage. What are they? What is the coating? And what camshafts will be perfectly matched to them for optimal life? (100k miles or more.)

Thanks,
Robbie

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

They were one of the better lifters available in the olden times.

Not the lightest at all, but good material and heat treat and so forth.
Probably will work well on a older cam or ep-12 cam blank.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

I have them in my 2180 and had them Parkerized.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

Glen, would the camshaft have to be Parkerized as well?

modok wrote:
They were one of the better lifters available in the olden times.

Not the lightest at all, but good material and heat treat and so forth.
Probably will work well on a older cam or ep-12 cam blank.

modok, what does an ep-12 blank consist of? Would a company like Web be able to cut a new cam of that material for me? I am not interested in a performance grind.

Thanks!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

modok, what does an ep-12 blank consist of? Would a company like Web be able to cut a new cam of that material for me? I am not interested in a performance grind.

Thanks!
Robbie

the ep-12 was the most common cam blank in recent history. I THINK web or engle would do that if you ask, probably.
OR you just go with what they have, and use the lifters they say you should use.

If you want the cam and lifters to be just like they were in 197x or whatever,
Then sell these lifters and get reground original cam and lifters.
Probably will be an even trade. Some sucker will pay a hundred bucks for those heavy old lifters Razz
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

Sounds like a possible plan.

I have a access to a wide variety of W. German OG cams with the various gear pitches I’d like to use. Would this be a decent match? I prefer the factory stock cam profile for this engine.

Robbie
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

I have a access to a wide variety of W. German OG cams with the various gear pitches I’d like to use. Would this be a decent match?

Probably. A harder lifter on a softer cam is FAR better gamble than the reverse.
Strange you can even find an NOS cam, but, I guess the same time capsule that had the lifters Shocked
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Sounds like a possible plan.

I have a access to a wide variety of W. German OG cams with the various gear pitches I’d like to use. Would this be a decent match? I prefer the factory stock cam profile for this engine.

Robbie

Wizemann (pronounced Vitza-mann) lifters were one of the main German stock lifters back when Beetles were new. They should work fine with any NOS OEM Type 1 cam.

I have also used them with aftermarket cams (Engle) and have another set waiting for my 1500 cc rebuild. Nice find!

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
Udo.B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Hi folks,

Two years ago I was bitten with a cam and lifter compatibility in my stock bus engine, and I'm building another one while I run out the clock on the current engine.

This time around I'm going with a new case since a cam bearing is spun in the current case, and I DO NOT WANT to deal with cam/lifter compatibility issues again.

I found these in my garage. What are they? What is the coating? And what camshafts will be perfectly matched to them for optimal life? (100k miles or more.)

Thanks,
Robbie

. You can be lucky . Use them like they are, no matter what cam you have Regards udo
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

I had them in my 1776, 25 years they are still going strong for the new owner. I used them with an Engle cam

brad
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

Sell em for $80-$100 to a N.O.S. parts hoarder and buy some $40 Moresa lifters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

Brad and Udo, thanks for the confirmation. I'm feeling good about these!

bugguy1967 wrote:
Sell em for $80-$100 to a N.O.S. parts hoarder and buy some $40 Moresa lifters.

I AM that NOS parts hoarder… But I put 20k a year on my bus so my stash will be put to good use!

Thanks again,
Robbie
Udo.B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

Good choice - you will find no others that last longer . Except mine if you need others some time
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

BTW... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1979775

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: J. Wizemann GmbH Lifters? Reply with quote

Thanks, both of you!

Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: