Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:24 pm    Post subject: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Were moving along on this build now, so I figured I would start a thread for it.

This was our first early car, we bought it in 2010 if I remember correctly.
All original, numbers matching with a shitty roll on paint job. This car was the light in my eye at the time, even though I wasn't a fan of the original color. Drove it for a year or so stock height with the split case and 36hp.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then my teen angst kicked in and that all went to hell real fast. We started off with a simple drop job, which quickly turned into cutting a ragtop in. The rag was done professionally with a rag from a 58 but I regret it now days.

Then it really went down hill. 3 1/2" trans raise, flat pans and full air ride.

About the time everything was finished is when I started remembering the days of stock height and care free driving. Guess I was growing up you could say. So instead of selling the car off and starting over, I decided to give this car a come back story.
Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

First step in the process was reversing the effects of the trans raise on the body.
Cut out the old raised package tray.

Had a 59 parts car that had a gorgeous package tray so we started fitting that in.

Roughed in.

Rear wheel wells had a few clearance cuts for the axel tubes and air ride. those were filled back in.

I would post a complete after photo of the package tray and rear suspension area but that would give away the rest of the story.

Unfortunately I don't have anything for the pan. My phone crashed and deleted everything.
VW's At The Springs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:32 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Nice job bringing it back around.... it’s fun modifying and all, but they drive like a turd. So much more enjoyable closer to stock form.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

The photos of the package tray repair are awesome. I have a big hole to fix and now I see how I can fix mine
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

So many people use the excuse, "I can always put it back to stock", but the truth is most never do. They loose interest, and either sell it, or keep driving it into the ground til there isnt much left of what used to be a nice og car. So, great job saving the car, and putting it back to its once former glory.
Keep the updates coming. I look forward to seeing another stock L245 car back on the road.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
So many people use the excuse, "I can always put it back to stock", but the truth is most never do. They loose interest, and either sell it, or keep driving it into the ground til there isnt much left of what used to be a nice og car. So, great job saving the car, and putting it back to its once former glory.
Keep the updates coming. I look forward to seeing another stock L245 car back on the road.

Iv definitely paid the price for what I did to this car, but it will all be worth it in the end. I can definitely see the light at the end of the tunnel now.
Couple more posts tomorrow and then it will be current posts from then on out.
VW's At The Springs
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

With the car sitting mostly back to stock I hit a wall mentally with it. Maybe it was just other VW's getting in the way. It was just sitting in the back yard so I decided to see how easy the rolled on ivory color came off. Its always been flaking of when we would wash the car, but i didn't realize how easy this was going to be. With a metal gasket scraper in hand i went out for a couple hours, like picking a scab i just did a section at a time.

They had the sense to put down red oxide primer before doing the half assed roll on house paint job. But you could even see where that was starting to burn through.

I tried a couple different ways to get the red oxide primer off. Found that acetone and fine steel wool made it basically wipe right off.

I knew of at least one body work spot so that wasn't a surprise, thank god I didn't find much more filler. But I did find some amazing original L245 paint.

Then I started on the removable body parts. Found some body work but nothing that can't be blended in.

Im still working on all the little nooks and crannies but for the most part its all done.
You can see the main piece of body work in this pic. Iv sanded it off and surprisingly its just a little crinkle, nothing that even required body work in the first place

Fenders mounted for a good look. The 4 tab hood was long gone before I bought the car. So if you have a lead on a original paint L245 4 tab ill pay with my soul for it.

VW's At The Springs
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Truly wonderful. It's a treat to see a lowered car restored to stock height. Great workmanship and attention to detail. Applause
vwuberalles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

HAH I noticed the gray 356 wheels in a couple of the pictures and wondered if you'd bought them from that guy in the other thread with the OG Ruby red paint car! Took me awhile to realize they were both yours! You've got a nice fleet there, and I'm excited to see your progress on both of them!
1973 Superbeetle: 1st car, owned since age 12. Update thread --> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9919140#9919140
1967 Kombi: Owned since age 17, Dad's retirement project.
1966 Beetle: My new project. (SOLD) Build thread--> https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=678040
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

René R. wrote:
Truly wonderful. It's a treat to see a lowered car restored to stock height. Great workmanship and attention to detail. Applause

I think thats the new cool kid thing to do lol

I'm on the fence about going either back to stock height or a slight drop instead of my current beam smashing height
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

vwuberalles wrote:
HAH I noticed the gray 356 wheels in a couple of the pictures and wondered if you'd bought them from that guy in the other thread with the OG Ruby red paint car! Took me awhile to realize they were both yours! You've got a nice fleet there, and I'm excited to see your progress on both of them!

Lol, yeah they were used as rollers for a little while after I took them off the red car. Now they are sold off.
VW's At The Springs
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

I collect original paint beetle wheels, and have been searching for a little over 5 years for a set of L244 moss green/ L87 pearl white wheels for this car. These are correct for early 58 light bronze beetles like mine and 59 mignonette beetles. So as you can imagine, they are very hard to come by.

I had been in contact with sledvw who had a full set, for a couple years.

Finally I talked him out of them and was able to pick them up while we were both attending Volksfest in Moxee, Washington. Out of all the cars and parts I have found over the years, I don't think iv ever been more excited as when I finally had these in my possession.

Got home from the show and instantly started stripping to original paint and polishing.
This one appears to of been the spare, as its in amazing original condition.

The other 4 turned out to have great original paint also. They will look right at home on my car. Unfortunately one is bent beyond repair I think, so I'm still on the hunt for one more.

VW's At The Springs
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Wow nice find on the wheels.
I've seen some really bad wheels be brought back to life, maybe a good metal worker can get your bent one fixed.
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:
Wow nice find on the wheels.
I've seen some really bad wheels be brought back to life, maybe a good metal worker can get your bent one fixed.

My career is metal working. The wheel can be saved but to save the wheel we ruin the original paint. That’s the problem.
VW's At The Springs
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

The 1958 was in the storage unit over the winter. This spring we pulled it out and got it in the garage.

The goal was to get the metal work on the body done and get the pan torn apart for powder coating. I got the engine trays back in the car and a few little spots that needed reversed.

After that we color matched the engine compartment. The package tray will be blended into the car in the next couple of weeks.

Also started deep cleaning under the hood, its all turning out how i was hoping. can't wait to be driving this car again.

Also got a picture from my powder coater yesterday. The pan is ready for me to pick up.

Now we are caught up to present time.
VW's At The Springs
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Welding technique question for you.

When you did the package tray how did you hold it in place while welding?

Also I’m guessing you cut the patch piece out and then Laid it in to trace out where to cut, am I correct?
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:

Also I’m guessing you cut the patch piece out and then Laid it in to trace out where to cut, am I correct?

Panel clips and magnets held it in place while I was fitting it for welding.

In one of the pics up top you can see where I have it sat on top of the hole so I can trace the opening. You have to be careful when doing that though as the new panel will be offset about 1/16”-1/8” from where it would be sitting once in the correct location.
VW's At The Springs
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
René R. wrote:

I think thats the new cool kid thing to do lol

I'm on the fence about going either back to stock height or a slight drop instead of my current beam smashing height

Not sure if it’s quite for the cool kids yet lol. When I sold my restocal and bought a 100% original 61 and then started putting this car stock. I had people telling me I was a idiot and some other not so nice things on instagram lol. It was great, loved watching people unfollow me because I didn’t have a lowered car anymore. It’s quite pathetic.
VW's At The Springs
TheDon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Raisedup58 wrote:
TheDon wrote:

In one of the pics up top you can see where I have it sat on top of the hole so I can trace the opening. You have to be careful when doing that though as the new panel will be offset about 1/16”-1/8” from where it would be sitting once in the correct location.

that makes sense since the weld will take up the gap.
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

TheDon wrote:
Raisedup58 wrote:
TheDon wrote:

that makes sense since the weld will take up the gap.

In sheet metal work you want the gap to be as tight as possible. The point I was getting at in that post was you need to compensate for the offset of the new piece being offset on the hole your are tracing. You can see in the pics that there is very little gap between the two pieces.
VW's At The Springs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: