Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
John Deere corn head greese is what a lot of people use.

Was that transaxle stored underwater? Holy smokes. But you never know until you get it cleaned up.

I’ll have to look up that grease tonight.
It damn near looks like it was under water for a few years. Oh well I’ll set this one aside since it’s date correct. I found one in Salt Lake City that’s good to go.
Instagram: Raisedup58
VW's At The Springs
facebook.com/vwsatthesprings
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raycer60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
John Deere corn head greese is what a lot of people use

When I rebuilt my steering box that is also what I used.
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

One of the first posts talks about your ragtop install. Why do you regret it?
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Nice project.
I'm rebuilding my steering box right now. What did you use as a guide?

This thread is invaluable for sb rebuilding, and provides a lot of info. on corn head grease.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446&highlight=corn

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Bala wrote:
Nice project.
I'm rebuilding my steering box right now. What did you use as a guide?

This thread is invaluable for sb rebuilding, and provides a lot of info. on corn head grease.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=660446&highlight=corn

I just pulled it apart and cleaned it, put the new seals in and re assembled it. They are not a complicated part.
VW's At The Springs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

I kinda had the same thought when I started tearing into mine, or even just getting a TRW replacement. But, that thread changed my mind quick. Did you scan through it? Started making sense to me why most manuals (even the Bentley) tell you to leave it up to the dealer to rebuild or replace it. Yours might turn out to be just fine, but now would be the time to dig a little deeper if you want. Smile

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

I just came across your build today and have to say it's impressive that you have decided to get your '58 back to stock height and condition.

You've done a really great job to date, keep the energy going!
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

The time has come to get this thing rolling so I can focus on stuff on the body. For the first time in over two years since finding the correct L244 Moss green wheels, I was able to see them with tires. They look great, even with the tires just being rollers.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After hurting my back getting the assembled pan off the stands, we rolled her outside. Obviously I still have a ton of little things to do, but this is the first time it has been a roller in the stock stance in over 6 years. I have to admit it feels great. Although it has a greasy tunnel transmission in it for the moment Im working on getting a good split case here soon. The goal is to drive it to the camp out I host (VWs At The Springs) in July. I don't care if I'm sitting on springs with no interior, its going to be there. Im not pushing extremely hard on this car because were in the process of building another 40hp stroker for the 61 and doing some other small things before spring. The body really isn't far from being ready for perminate installation to the pan. Just some grinding and blending, and a few small spots of body work. Anyways here are some pan pictures...

VW's At The Springs
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Those wheels look great, what a score finding them. I have been very slow on getting the pan dialed in for my 61, and cant wait to get mine on all fours like you have with yours. Lookin good man!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

stale air wrote:
Those wheels look great, what a score finding them. I have been very slow on getting the pan dialed in for my 61, and cant wait to get mine on all fours like you have with yours. Lookin good man!

It’s alright it took multiple years for me to get it to this point.
VW's At The Springs
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Hey...don't you need 1 more of those wheels? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Hey...don't you need 1 more of those wheels? Laughing

I do but SOMEONE only wants to trade for things I don’t have lol
VW's At The Springs
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Laughing I dug out a box for it the other day...it can be ready to ship out tomorrow.
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

motofly196 wrote:
Laughing I dug out a box for it the other day...it can be ready to ship out tomorrow.

Ill text you in a bit.
VW's At The Springs
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Those tires do look pretty worn, but if you decide to get new ones and want to balance them, let me know if you need one my my balancers, Thanks
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

EMPIImp69 wrote:
Those tires do look pretty worn, but if you decide to get new ones and want to balance them, let me know if you need one my my balancers, Thanks

The tires are just rollers, I have Firestone’s for it.
VW's At The Springs
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

I'm so glad you're putting it back up to stock height, I hate the slammed look. OTOH that tunnel case transmission is getting me pretty hot under the collar!

Don
Raisedup58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I'm so glad you're putting it back up to stock height, I hate the slammed look. OTOH that tunnel case transmission is getting me pretty hot under the collar!

Don

Lol believe me it is only there to roll the car around. Looks like I’m more than likely going to be taking a 6 hour one way drive to Portland to pick up a ready to go split case.
VW's At The Springs
SirTimTIm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

Great work!
I lowered my 66 bug about 5 years ago, I got about 1,000 miles on it before the crankshaft sheared in two. While rebuilding the engine (still) Rolling Eyes I’ve decided to go back to stock height. I think they look better. Your build is awesome and inspires me to get back into mine!
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: "Raisedup58" L245 Light Bronze 1958 Reply with quote

SirTimTIm wrote:
Great work!
I lowered my 66 bug about 5 years ago, I got about 1,000 miles on it before the crankshaft sheared in two. While rebuilding the engine (still) Rolling Eyes I’ve decided to go back to stock height. I think they look better.

And RIDE better...gotta love that cushy cruise Wink

Sorry, I'll get outta here now Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: