Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to VWs could anyone answer some questions?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenix
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Not my photos but best placements for getting proper flow-through.

Inlet at either #2 or #4 (#2 looks to make installation easier based on my planing to do the same)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Outlet at the collector (on the stinger)
Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

So I don’t think my fuel pump is working, I’m wanting to go to an electric pump with a regulator due to the stock pump being in the way of the distributor that I got. I know I have to block off the old pump, I was wondering if anyone has a preference on a pump/regulator and how to hook it up so the pump shuts off in case of a roll over or something, I believe it’s a solex carb on stock 1600 single port. Thanks!!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Ford ranger inertia fuel pump shut off. Resets with the push of a button. My 94 had one.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Make sure of the pressure the pump puts out. Those made for carbs will be OK, but may still need a regulator. Solex will typically live with up to about 6psi. Most modern fuel injection fuel pumps put out more like 60psi and some more.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ponyboy88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Be sure to get a good regulator you can trust, especially since it is hard to get accurate pressure readings that low it seems and some of the carbs can be real picky about pressure. I think Kaddie shack recommends running their dual solex at 1-2 psi for an idea of how little you need. If you find yourself running dry on the highway, it’s easy to add a half pound more.
Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

So with that low of pressure and my fuel tank sitting well above the carb would I even need a fuel pump? Anybody ever do that? I’ll be riding mostly off-road so it will be sloshing around in the tank pretty good
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

I've seen a few old rails way back when with the gas tank mounted up near the top of the roll bar and no fuel pump and they seemed to work fine. Even climbing steep hills. I have a 1930s tractor that has no fuel pump. Model T Fords had no fuel pump.

Water generates about 43psi per 100' of elevation above where you're measuring pressure, like if a tank were 100' up a hill above your house. Gas weighs about 3/4 as much as water. So I would expect the difference in weight to produce a similar pressure difference. 4.3psi/10' of water, or about 3 psi per 10' of gas. Since your gas tank MIGHT BE as much as 2' above your carb, you might get 0.6psi at the carb.

So I'm not to sure I would do it that way.

The old rails I saw with no pump probably had something done to the float or needle in the carb so it would work.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

Okay thanks for the help on this, I’ll shop around for a fuel pump and regulator!!
Ridenourd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

So I took the right side valve cover off to set timing and I found this😑

The pushrod was bent and off the rocker, I believe on the exhast valve(far left valve) and the valve is noticeably in further than it should be. A mechanic that I know said It could be either stuck or bent, the motor has not ran for atleast 10 years but most likely longer. I had it running and it actually sounded like it was running good when it was, so today I got the fuel pump and regulator all hooked up and I decided to see if I could set the timing, and I seen this, turning the motor over by hand I don’t hear anything hitting(valve against piston) I’m hoping it’s just stuck but I figured I would ask for your guys insight on this! Any help is greatly appreciated!
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs could anyone answer some questions? Reply with quote

I worked on a car that we dragged out of a barn that had a couple pushrods just laying in there and one was bent way wrse than yours and it really messed up a pushrod tube. And yeah - I had the car running before I fixed any of that.

Obviously you want to observe rocker movement when you adjust the valves to confirm your cam isnt wiped..
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: