Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to interpret maintenance intervals
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
qlxmf123
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: How to interpret maintenance intervals Reply with quote

Based on the factory recommended maintenance schedule, do I need to get my car serviced every year regardless of mileage?

Let's say it's been a year since I had my car serviced for 50k but I only have 53k on the car (not real numbers, just an example). It might take 2-3 years for me to actually reach 60k miles as this is my second car now. A friend of mine told me as long as I get my oil changes every year, the rest can wait until 60k. Is that true even if it means I'm getting the 60k on my vehicle's 8th-9th year?
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: How to interpret maintenance intervals Reply with quote

Intervals are based on averages.

Use the intervals and common sense. If the car was under warranty, I would follow their recommendations because if you have any issues, they will use your receipts as proof they were done. Use VW spec oil then choose the weight.

If you drive a car one mile a day for 365 days, that is not good for the oil. If you drove 365 miles one time and parked it for a year, then maybe the oil is not so bad.

As for air filters, I do not follow the factory recommendations. I check and replace if needed. I have seen way too many air filters replaced that were good, but because of time, they were replaced.

I personally replaced a climate control air filter that was 4 years old with only 2k on it. They were like brand new. The Foreman said it's part of the deal, just do it. One reason I work for myself now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: