Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Registering a foreign vehicle in California (post 1976)?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Registering a foreign vehicle in California (post 1976)? Reply with quote

In my search for a dual cab I've expanded my search to outside of the country but I have no idea what I would be in for.

Has anyone registered a foreign vehicle in California that was newer than the 1976 smog exemption? How difficult was the process? What if the vehicle isn't in running condition or doesn't have the original or correct motor?
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Registering a foreign vehicle in California (post 1976)? Reply with quote

you just said all things that make not possible. after 76 have to be ca smog legal. get oregon plate hahaahah
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Registering a foreign vehicle in California (post 1976)? Reply with quote

parker007 wrote:
you just said all things that make not possible. after 76 have to be ca smog legal. get oregon plate hahaahah

Is it possible to get it registered but as non opp? I'm guessing I could convert it to electric if I needed to.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Registering a foreign vehicle in California (post 1976)? Reply with quote

California isn't going to make this easy, you really need to find the right person to talk to with the state. That said, it is my understanding that you have to make an imported vehicle meet the pollution requirements it had to meet when it left the factory, but that if there were no requirements for a particular vehicle then you are SOL.
LazyLightning75
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a foreign vehicle in California (post 1976)? Reply with quote

I second what Wildthings said...go directly to the source of information and call the CA DMV. I think you can also submit questions to them by email. When I was considering buying a bus without a title, I called the CA DMV. Took forever to get to the right person, and she was grumpy as all get out when I did reach her, but she gave me some great advice and outlined the whole process on how it could be done (although she recommended against it). I was super polite and eventually she loosened up, but it was worth the hassle. Wish I still had that phone number to pass along to you. Good luck and when you call, have your list of questions ready for them!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a foreign vehicle in California (post 1976)? Reply with quote

California will be the port of entry so it will have to meet these requirements:

https://www.arb.ca.gov/html/master_faqs/vehicle_faqs/greymarket_cars_faq.htm
ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a foreign vehicle in California (post 1976)? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
California will be the port of entry so it will have to meet these requirements:

If I read that right then that means I could put a cheap type 1 motor in it so long as it passes the smog test, right?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a foreign vehicle in California (post 1976)? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:

If I read that right then that means I could put a cheap type 1 motor in it so long as it passes the smog test, right?

There is nothing cheap about a well built Type 1 motor, to get one that will even come close to lasting as long as a Type 4 you will be paying the same if not more.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Registering a foreign vehicle in California (post 1976)? Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
SGKent wrote:

I don't think that will pass the visual inspection part.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: