Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty! Reply with quote

Got a call from my long time car mentor that one of his customers had a free 60 bug convertible. Best part, he was giving it away free! What could go wrong, right? Well, I had a look today and it is crusty as hell. Is this saveable? Rockers gone. Floor gone. Tons of rust. Doors however are perfect and car is very complete. I assume this is too far gone to save? I already agreed to pick it up and hold the title and have to pick it up Saturday. I plan to try and get the motor running and using it in my single cab or rebuild it for my single cab if it’s a non runner. It “ran when parked” of course. Part it or save? I’m a bus guy so I have no idea if because it is a convertible it needs to be saved. If it were a regular bug I’d already have made my mind up. Anyway, here’s pics. Guess I better bust out the plasma cutter eh?!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by busmania on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Seen far worse brought back to restored condition, just takes time and money. I'd say before you fully commit to the idea of sending this one to the big junkyard in the sky, you at least spend a little time cleaning it all out to get a more firm idea of what needs work.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Yes, just about ANYTHING can be brought back from the dead...just depends on how much effort & cash you're willing to commit to it. Good advice from mukluk above...clean it out and see what you've got there before making any decisions. Early convertibles are quite rare...not many 'saveable' ones left out there.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Wow. Is it a beryl green car? That is my holy grail vert for some reason. Not sure why. Just love the '60 especially in that color. Is the top trim, rear tails, back seat there?

Definitely a project, but a worthy one. Not sure there is profit in it. They are spendy to bring back...even if you do all the metal/paint/mechanical.

Last edited by swharris on Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:06 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Yes, just about ANYTHING can be brought back from the dead...just depends on how much effort & cash you're willing to commit to it. Good advice from mukluk above...clean it out and see what you've got there before making any decisions. Early convertibles are quite rare...not many 'saveable' ones left out there.

Interesting. Thank you both. I will clean it up a bit but being that the floors are non existent, ain’t much to clean! Front trunk is pretty clean. Engine is pretty clean. I personally don’t have time to tackle it but figured I’d check here before I bust out the plasma cutter and get to Work.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Sure that's not a '61-'62? It has a horizontal keyslot and a gas guage... Obviously a fresh air engine trade (no big deal). I'm feeling Yukon Yellow too.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Sure that's not a '61-'62? It has a horizontal keyslot and a gas guage... Obviously a fresh air engine trade (no big deal). I'm feeling Yukon Yellow too.

Steering wheel looks like 64.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Just don't open the doors or take it off the pan without thoroughly bracing the body first.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

40hp engine, wrong door handles, gas gauge, wrong steering wheel, no trim caps on the inside of the glove box, and I swear when I zoom in I see hood springs, and no hint of a choke knob.

Not a 1960.

Could still be great project, but it looks like years of work and many $thousands$.

That free car will end up costing a fair bit.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Title shows 62. I am either going to part of out or move it along mostly whole (minus motor). What’s it worth whole minus motor?
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Way to much rust and that car is done. Take what you can and fold up the rest of it.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
EMPIImp69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Way to much rust and that car is done. Take what you can and fold up the rest of it.

Yep, part it out. You'll make more money than selling it whole. Doors, backseat, topframe, engine and decklid will be your big ticket items.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Where you are located may impact what you do and what makes the most sense. "Here" doesnt help a lot.

Recapping, early verts are desirable, BUT damn expensive to restore. Yeah - worse has been restored, but you have a car that will cost way more than its worth. Having a 1/2 decent shop tackle that will be in the upper 20s at minimum. Would actually say closer to 30... Total hack with a couple gallons of bondo would still be in the mid teens.

So - it gets down to what your goal is...Make as much money as you can or try to save the car? The top fame would easily be worth several hundred, doors, trunk and decklid are worth some money if decent. And a pan with a title is worth a few hundred. You should be able to walk away with a grand pretty easily.

Selling the car as is....maybe $500. Just my 2 cents.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

I don't know where "here" is, but around my version of here, it's worth probably closer to $1k in parts because it's early. The windows, regs, frames, top frame are all early.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

You would be crazy to cut that car up.

These old VWs are getting harder and harder to come by every day. The value on early cars continues to go up not down. Verts in particular going up in value and what constitutes an early car keeps moving up as well. Early 60's cars are now becoming more and more valuable and desirable as the number of 50's cars continue to shrink and will only continue to go up in value.

You got the thing for free. Find a buyer who is has the skills and or money to restore it

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Brought it home today. More pics below. One question, how do I get the front hood up?

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Here is nowhere. I am here also, but I do list my location. That car is junk. My goodness busmania you must be like that people at the Barrett Jackson auction with off shore accounts deep deep deep pockets.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
Here is nowhere. I am here also, but I do list my location. That car is junk. My goodness busmania you must be like that people at the Barrett Jackson auction with off shore accounts deep deep deep pockets.

It was free! I intend to move it along or part it out. I don’t have the time or skill to fix it myself. It is unfortunately very roached out unless your the flinstones.

I’m in Denver.

Last edited by busmania on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:

The car was free so he's probably in it for whatever it cost to move it.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
gt1953 wrote:

The car was free so he's probably in it for whatever it cost to move it.

$54 to rent a trailer plus lunch for my buddy who helped move it. I’ve been looking for a motor to build (or use as is) for my bus so the timing couldn’t really have been better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: