Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty! Reply with quote

There's a hood release "pull" knob to the left of the steering wheel. On convertibles it's a locking knob. If it's seized or missing, get out the tool bag!

It helps to see more of it. The car is riddled with '64 parts- inside and out. So definitely find out exactly what it is based on the VIN- so you can represent it properly. A '64 is worth quite a bit less than a '62- with one exception...

If the deck lid has not been re-drilled, and is truly an early '64 piece- it is quite rare and needs to be treated as such when pricing. I'm hunching less than 1000 were made if it proves to be early '64. Someone will pay up for that part.

The rear seat bottom is the most valuable "no tools needed to remove" part- so don't let it out of your sight. The two Karmann-supplied Lemerz beauty rings look great too- pull those off soon. Get out your screwdriver and pull off that $100 rear view mirror.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
caleb0101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty! Reply with quote

that car is well worth saving, the 67 sedan i am working on now is in about the same shape, i say yank the motor and put it up on here for a few hundred bucks and let someone take it on as a project
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty! Reply with quote

Thanks. Being a bus guy I don’t know much about these. My vin is (I think...according to the title, where do I find the vin on the car?)

If I am looking at the right thing, looks like December of 1963? Title actually lists it as a 64, not a 62 like I originally thought.

What’s the rear seat worth?

Last edited by busmania on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty! Reply with quote

The GL distributor is interesting. What year engine is it?
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty! Reply with quote

Without cleaning it up more all I could read was 826 on the engine. I thought the distributor looked odd.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty! Reply with quote

Quote:
The car is riddled with '64 parts- inside and out

I agree- steering wheel horn bar, front blinker shape and location on the fenders, license plate light, lack of Wolfsburg hood crest; etc. If you find remnants of the headliner which are white perforated/polka dot vinyl, that'd be another detail of correctness. Now that you've determined the build month to be within the '64 model year, it all jives. Very Happy
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

gt1953 wrote:
That car is junk.

You don't have an F'n clue.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty! Reply with quote

Look under the rear seat - there is an access panel on the top of teh tunnel. That chassis VIN is stamped in front of it - you may need a wire bristle brush or use the lead pencl/paper etching thing to see it. If some of the numbers match the title, then its probably correct. Once you get the hood open (more on that) there should be a metal plate behind where the spare sits that would also have the numbers. Obviously the body could have been switched at some point.

Opening the hood if you can't unlatch it - cut the handle in half and you should be able unscrew it from the latch.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GB2S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What have I got myself into? 62 vert find. Rusty! Reply with quote

Maybe one needs to be sacrificed to save others.

Geoff
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: What have I gotten myself into....? Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
gt1953 wrote:
That car is junk.

You don't have an F'n clue.

Sounds like you have a buyer...
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: