Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Taking it back old school build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Hello! Name's Matt. I love bugs. I love baja bugs. I have a bad ass baja bug. It was an old class 5/1600 racer in the AZOP series. I really like it, since being retired from racing its been updated with longer arms front and rear and it goes anywhere I want it too. Seriously its just point and shoot and it goes- fast!
And I still want to build another car. I swear this thing is a sickness. But you know what I wanted? A much tamer baja that will still go anywhere(just not at 60mph lol) but that I can have a useable trunk with an easy open hood, full fenders, a backseat, etc. So I decided to build what most everyone starts out with. A 70's bug. Only I won't be focused on how much travel I get or how fast it can go. I just want to build it strong and able.
Its a 70 chassis from what used to be a baja bug. I'll be using :
thing front suspension with saco rack and aluminum rods/international ends
class 11 bilstein shocks front and rear
braced rear arms with thing stubs and type 2 cv's
built 002 with 5.43 ring and pinion and close ratio third and 1.04 fourth
Jackman wheels 15x8 rear 15x5 front
31x10.5 KM2 rear and 7x15 6 ply Super traxxion front
full cage tied front to rear
2276 dual kad engine
redone dash with full VDO guage compliment
recovered Corbeau seats with new Corbeau seat covers
full glass action fiberglass body kit
thing brakes
Saturn Vue electric power steering

planned engine specs:
82x94
First generation Los panchito's heads 40x35
Web 163 cam w/1.25 rockers
40 Kadrons set up for off-road use
Bosch 010 distributor
1.5" exhaust

Bus trans gearing:
5.43 r&p
3.80 1st
2.06 2nd
1.56 3rd
1.04 4th

This is my current baja, a 64.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the start of the new baja, after dragging the donor body carcass home

The next day after removing the body(by myself!)

Pile of crap removed

Body kit installation

and painted Ultra flat khaki

Last edited by tobiism on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:08 pm; edited 4 times in total
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Rebuilding the Thing arms

reaming the spindles for international ends

painted wheels

recovered seats

Old cage I'll be cleaning up, modifying and reusing. front ghetto pinched cross bars will be removed. Also shows seats before being recovered. And check out that awesome rally style shifter mount that came with this old chassis. Never seen anything like it before. All tig welded together. Its fancy fo' sho!

have to replace the rear package tray

Last edited by tobiism on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Biltstein shocks

rear arms

and after stripping, painting and new bushings

wheels and tires after painting with new tires

that sweet shifter setup again

Saturn Vue power steering

veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Looks like you have a great start Very Happy ...also not your first picnic. ..I'll be following this one Popcorn

I have to ask. ..was there a sale on gold paint? Laughing Laughing
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

veeweeman wrote:
Looks like you have a great start Very Happy ...also not your first picnic. ..I'll be following this one Popcorn

I have to ask. ..was there a sale on gold paint? Laughing Laughing

haha! I love gold hammertone paint!
MI-Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Looking great! You're making great progress! I also see you are located in Chandler... My in-laws spend their winters in Chandler. We'll be visiting them for a week next month. Love that area!
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Nice 5/1600 my favorite class. I am looking forward to your build as I am a big supporter of Thing front ends. Happy to see them used on these builds when people choose them instead of a stock link pin setup. Both my 5/1600's and one C5 ran thing beams back in the late 70's early 80's. I broke a lot of stuff but never the front end, just bent one upper arm on a close endo then started plating them in. I raced in AZ back in the 80's when I lived there and worked at Sunland in Phx. I ran a few Rocky Point races and Snowflake races. I only dream of being back there now Lol. I am very Jealous lol.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Nice 5/1600. I dig the theme of bug #2 Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

MI-Bug wrote:
Looking great! You're making great progress! I also see you are located in Chandler... My in-laws spend their winters in Chandler. We'll be visiting them for a week next month. Love that area!

Thanks! I really like living in Chandler.
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
Nice 5/1600 my favorite class. I am looking forward to your build as I am a big supporter of Thing front ends. Happy to see them used on these builds when people choose them instead of a stock link pin setup. Both my 5/1600's and one C5 ran thing beams back in the late 70's early 80's. I broke a lot of stuff but never the front end, just bent one upper arm on a close endo then started plating them in. I raced in AZ back in the 80's when I lived there and worked at Sunland in Phx. I ran a few Rocky Point races and Snowflake races. I only dream of being back there now Lol. I am very Jealous lol.

Yeah its easy to miss AZ, until the summer heat hits! LOL.
Think I should go ahead and plate the ball joint arms or is that strictly a racing upgrade?
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Bock wrote:
Nice 5/1600. I dig the theme of bug #2 Very Happy

Thanks!!!
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
oldschool5er wrote:

Think I should go ahead and plate the ball joint arms or is that strictly a racing upgrade?

Although I plated them, in reality I think the uppr arm bending was because of the wierd landing, so wasn't really needed, in fact I finished the Baja 500 on it without changing it in a pit. On hindsight I think if it would ever bend it would be at the spigot going into the beam like link pin arms do. Only the lower arm has a thicker wall than on a T1, the upper is same wall as T1. I have never bent one at the spigot but since I plated the arm itself the next point to bend would be at the spigot going into the beam so plating might not have done much. I have a pic if you want to see it

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
tobiism wrote:
oldschool5er wrote:

Although I plated them, in reality I think the uppr arm bending was because of the wierd landing, so wasn't really needed, in fact I finished the Baja 500 on it without changing it in a pit. On hindsight I think if it would ever bend it would be at the spigot going into the beam like link pin arms do. Only the lower arm has a thicker wall than on a T1, the upper is same wall as T1. I have never bent one at the spigot but since I plated the arm itself the next point to bend would be at the spigot going into the beam so plating might not have done much. I have a pic if you want to see it

Thanks but I think I'm all set. don't plan on abusing this one too badly, fingers crossed lol
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

mail call!

VolkFanJefe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Nice 5/1600 car..... This latest build is going to be awesome too!
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugtub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

reaming the spindles for international ends

Great build thread
Interested in that ream what angle is it a where do you get them from?
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

I am curious about that too. I had to have mine made to the correct taper.

Last edited by oldschool5er on Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 am; edited 1 time in total
tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Thanks guys. It's a tapered reamer set at 7 degrees from Speedway Motors. Worked perfectly for this application. The tie rod ends seat in there beautifully.
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Ok I well check them out because I need a new one, as it is worn but lasted forever. This one is ground to 7.125.

oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Taking it back old school build Reply with quote

Dang thats a good price for that, Thanks for the info!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: