Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Coupling Flange Splines
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

As long as I have peoples' attention can someone help me out with where the horn ground attaches on the underside of a late bay. I only took a picture of the top broken piece and can't remember where the bottom goes and can't search up a picture.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

I think I'm just supposed to mate the top and bottom per this:

BusterBrown wrote:
If you remove the cover at the base of the steering column, and it looks like this;

replace the broken wire, so it looks like this;

You might want to check your steering coupling disc while you're at it too;

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...highlight=
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:

Yeap, that is all you need to do.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

Alright. Got that all fixed up. Looks pretty good and safe. Re: the Jesus Bolt can anyone confirm a torque of 14ft-lb?

Bentley shows an entry for "flange to steering worm" but this is only up to 72. It's sort on entries in from 72. I'm thinking maybe this is just the extra entries though and these other ones are still good.
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

I think the flange is used on several years so the torque requirements should be the same. OG is a castellated nut with cotter pin, but I used a nylon lock nut on mine.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

Tom Powell wrote:
I think the flange is used on several years so the torque requirements should be the same. OG is a castellated nut with cotter pin, but I used a nylon lock nut on mine.

Aloha
tp

Sweet. Thanks! For some reason my OG nuts and bolts from a 72 were in amazing shape. They still had the original galvanized coating intact, which for anywhere on the bus is amazing, but for the that location confuses me. Went with the cotter pin because it seemed fun but also still safe.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

I have seen a few copper plated bolts in some of these through the years as I think Wildthings mentioned.
While copper has no sacrificial anode qualities per-se to steel in open air....its a great anti-seize lubricant in this highly rust prone location. Same reasoning behind copper plated nuts on exhaust studs and mufflers.

It does bear thinking about...that this part and its bolt would be ideal candidates for a simple zinc plating. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

So, what would be the correct bolt/grade to use before getting a visit from Jesus?
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
So, what would be the correct bolt/grade to use before getting a visit from Jesus?

I know. I'm all worried now too. Mine was a 10.9. Kept the bolt replaced the self-locking nut with a 10.9 zinc plated one. Torqued down to 14ft-lb. Seems about the correct thing to do from what I can find.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:

Its not so much the grade of the bolt....its the type of lock nut. You would be hard pressed to generate enough turning force break a basic class 8.8 bolt here unless you hit a curb at 50 mph...and then in that case this bolt is the least of your problem Laughing

I have no idea what the bus part number for this bolt is but the one on my 412...which looks to be virtually identical is 111 415 421 A.

Its an M8 x 37mm length. It uses a self locking nut. On my car...it used one of those original metal tab style locking nuts. Since this area sees no heat...I see no reason why a metric nylock nut would not work.

Typically when those old school style metal insert locking nuts were used...the bolt was a class 10.9 to keep from tearing up the bolt. I will have to check though. Ray
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

Hi Ray,

I'm curious. I don't know much about lock nuts. I went with one of these https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/90681 which are the oval shaped lock nuts. How do these compare to a Nylock version?

Thanks!
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

IMO:
If the lock nut fails, you will not immediately lose steering. The clamp will no longer be tight and the flange will move/rotate slightly on the shaft. The bolt will still be in the groove and the symptoms will be slop not failure.

Aloha
tp
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

More of my opinion... Laughing

The shitty spines you are seeing on the flange are the result of the harder steel steering box shaft's splines indenting into the softer flange metal. You are looking at ghosts... it's not supposed to carefully index like a true male and female spline arrangement. The one set of splines on the male shaft provides a nice grip to that flange when you tighten it. It's ribbed for her pleasure. That's correct that the new female flange is smooth.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

The correct torque for an M8 10.9 bolt is about 24 ft*lbs. With a lock nut, especially a distorted thread locknut you will use up some of the torque just forcing the bolt through the locknut, so if you don't go high enough you will not be getting sufficient pinch in the clamp to prevent relative movement of the mating parts. I really prefer Loctite for such uses even if I might still use a locknut. Clean the bolt and nut well, spray with cleaner and blow dry, and then apply Loctite and torque to spec for the 10.9 bolt or higher grade bolt you should be using.

Note that you can probably find 10.9/12.9 Nylocks either at your local hardware or at a place like Fastenal. Buy a whole box if need be, you will eventually use them.
Amskeptic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Alright. Got that all fixed up. Looks pretty good and safe. Re: the Jesus Bolt can anyone confirm a torque of 14ft-lb?

Bentley shows an entry for "flange to steering worm" but this is only up to 72. It's sort on entries in from 72. I'm thinking maybe this is just the extra entries though and these other ones are still good.

For the record, the horn ground wire normally routes to the inside of the steering coupler disc, right through the middle of the hole. It passes easily under the flanges.
Colin
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

surfbus23 wrote:
Hi Ray,

I'm curious. I don't know much about lock nuts. I went with one of these https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/90681 which are the oval shaped lock nuts. How do these compare to a Nylock version?

Thanks!

I hate the distorted style lock nuts like those. Unless the bolt is much harder than the nut....about 8 out of 10 times.....the distorted lock nut bungs up the threads of the bolt.

This is one of the few places in the entire car where a nylon insert locknut is ideal.

I also would rather use locktite here. And....on my car....and I realize its not a bus....but VW put some of that white goo on the threads to lock them. Locktite would be just as well. Ray
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. When you guys mention locktite, are you talking about the blue thread locker?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Coupling Flange Splines Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
Thanks for the info. When you guys mention locktite, are you talking about the blue thread locker?

Yes....use the blue 242. It worka fine. Though the red is more aggressive....its just not necessary and requires heat of about 500+ to break loose. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: