Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seeking solar knowledge
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
puu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

I can change a lightbulb - but have no clue about solar and the math that comes with it. Embarassed

I have an aux battery (was installed with GW solenoid kid) under the driver seat and would like to keep this now charged with a solar panel, without overcharging it!

It also would be nice if it can charge my electric scooter battery, again without overcharging it! (the AC adapter reads a power output 29.4V - 1.55 A and batteries need up to 2.5 hours to be fully charged).
Since all my 86 vanagon space is so limited I have not found a small space pure sine inverter to charge my laptop and that can run also a hand blender and coffee maker.
Just wonder if it makes sense and there is a way charging the scooter directly without going over the aux battery.

Of course ideal would be a fold able solar panel I can put out in the sun with a build in inverter where I can attach a wire to the aux battery and a plug for my scooter.

Is it less pricey to put things together myself? And if YES, what do I need to do so to not overcharge my aux and scooter?

Thanks
parker007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

need to run solar panel wires to charge controller then to battery. without controller panel drain battery when no sun or overcharge,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

How many amp hours is the battery?

Lead acid or AGM?

I mention this because when we had only one 100aH AGM battery that was down to the mid-11 volt range -- they say 11.4 volts is the "safe bottom" charge before further discharge he can harm it -- "someone" fired up our blender and killed the battery.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

I'd skip the inverter and get a 12v charger for your laptop: cheaper anyway.

You need a charge controller for the solar panel, of which there are many choices. I went with this one. You need a solar panel. The charge controller takes care of the battery charging.

I assume you have a charger for the scooter: if so, it should manage the charging there. We need more info on how you connect it. Is there a 12V option for it? Or will you need an inverter just for that?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers

Last edited by Paulbeard on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

You can get a USB chargeable blender - Mrs fxr has just bought one. Wink

I think this is it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06Y5X88QH
puu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

E1 wrote:

Lead acid or AGM?

I mention this because when we had only one 100aH AGM battery that was down to the mid-11 volt range -- they say 11.4 volts is the "safe bottom" charge before further discharge he can harm it -- "someone" fired up our blender and killed the battery.

Thank you all so much for your input!!!

My Battery: From Napa type 7541
Brand: Duracell Ultra
Voltage: 12
Format: BCI Group 41
Lead Acid Type: Starting
Cold Cranking Amps: 650

Hope this helps
puu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
I'd skip the inverter and get a 12v charger for your laptop: cheaper anyway.

You need a charge controller for the solar panel, of which there are many choices. I went with this one. You need a solar panel. The charge controller takes care of the battery charging.

I assume you have a charger for the scooter: if so, it should manage the charging there. We need more info on how you connect it. Is there a 12V option for it? Or will you need an inverter just for that?

Many thanks!
How can I charge my electric scooter battery from a solar panel without overcharging it! (the AC adapter I use so far to charge the Lithium Battery pack for the scooter reads a power output 29.4V - 1.55 A and batteries need up to 2.5 hours to be fully charged). There is no 12 Volt option on the adapter.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

puu wrote:

Many thanks!
How can I charge my electric scooter battery from a solar panel without overcharging it! (the AC adapter I use so far to charge the Lithium Battery pack for the scooter reads a power output 29.4V - 1.55 A and batteries need up to 2.5 hours to be fully charged). There is no 12 Volt option on the adapter.

What kind of scooter/battery?

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pushkick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

you might look at this morningstar for a solar charge controller they will charge your van battery and your solar battery and maybe your electric scooter

https://www.amazon.com/Morningstar-SSD-25-Sunsaver...r+sunsaver

and these dc to dc charge controllers they can work on any battery this way you dont have to buy an inverter

https://www.powerstream.com/DC-input-chargers.htm
1990 vw automatic camper
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

puu wrote:
E1 wrote:

Lead acid or AGM?

Thank you all so much for your input!!!

My Battery: From Napa type 7541
Brand: Duracell Ultra
Voltage: 12
Format: BCI Group 41
Lead Acid Type: Starting
Cold Cranking Amps: 650

Hope this helps

You're welcome.

Sorry, I meant "What's the amp-hour rating of the battery?" Mine are 100aH (amp-hour) each, cold cranking amps is about 1,100 each.

— Colin Chapman
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

His battery is just a standard car type Group 41 starting battery, so no specs given for AH.
Those are usually around 60 AH, some more, some less.
https://www.batteriesplus.com/replacement/battery/everstart/41=4/sli41

For DC input charging the scooter I don't see anything in the PowerStream product line to do 29.4v LI battery charging from a 12 volt source. Maybe I missed it.

Mark
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Seeking solar knowledge Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark.

An aside... Batteries Plus is one fabulous chain, highly recommended.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: