Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

secretsubmariner wrote:
So, so good. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you!

Busman1985 wrote:
Looks awesome! Gets me motivated to work on my 74 camper some more. Just waiting on money to buy me a new nose. Look forward to seeing yours all done.

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement! I love the '74's! Get after it! Do all the little things you can, while you're waiting to get the nose cone done. All the little things start to add up. Good luck. I can't wait to see what you do with her!

a.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Hey brother good work. Gets me in the mood to do my doors. Rolling Eyes Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Hey brother good work. Gets me in the mood to do my doors. Rolling Eyes Laughing

Laughing No doubt! Like getting kicked square in the @%&! I keep reminding myself that I love this stuff, as I'm getting it done. So worth the effort in the end. Cool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

I've been busy trying to get the bus running well over the past couple of weekends. In the meantime I had also been doing a lot of work on little things of late. Trying to clean things up before I put them back in the bus. I hope to get the interior squared away this weekend.

Original cover/strip:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is the piece that covers the metal crossmember that supports the upper bunk:

These two were from a couple of weeks ago. I was just enjoying the late afternoon light. Just for fun...we're getting close.

Hope you enjoy!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Things have been busy, busy, busy of late. I have spent the past couple of weekends tweaking the carbs and bringing renewed life to the engine. As I uncover and remedy one set of problems, I'm sure to find others. Nevertheless, I feel like I'm making good headway. I will delve into that a little later on in the thread. I've also spent a good amount of time installing the interior. Things are really starting to shape up pretty nicely.

For the sake of continuity, I'm going to continue to show the work as it has been done in chronological order. I'm getting real close to being caught up to real time, as far as updates are concerned. I'm pretty stoked about the progress that has been made!

So, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to start pulling apart my Essen trailer and prepping it for a long overdue rehab. I will start an individual thread on that in case anyone ever wants/needs to look at how things go. Here are a couple of pictures to give an idea of how things went, before the parts were shipped off to powder coat:

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Are you going to source those big ass rivets to put it back together? I've often wanted to pull mine apart but stopped at the rivets.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
I've been busy trying to get the bus running well over the past couple of weekends. In the meantime I had also been doing a lot of work on little things of late. Trying to clean things up before I put them back in the bus. I hope to get the interior squared away this weekend.

Original cover/strip:

This is the piece that covers the metal crossmember that supports the upper bunk:

These two were from a couple of weeks ago. I was just enjoying the late afternoon light. Just for fun...we're getting close.

Hope you enjoy!

If you are not happy with the plastic cover under the top bunk strut then serialkombi in France has them brand new.Let me know if you need a link.

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

cliveawn wrote:

If you are not happy with the plastic cover under the top bunk strut then serialkombi in France has them brand new.Let me know if you need a link.

That's very kind cliveawn! Thank you! I've been going back and forth as to which direction I wanted to take on the interior. I've decided that I'm going to leave the original, as is, for the time being . If it drives me crazy, then I'll address it later. Very Happy

Thanks again!
a.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Are you going to source those big ass rivets to put it back together? I've often wanted to pull mine apart but stopped at the rivets.

Absolutely!

I had the same reservations at first...then I decided to dive in! Shocked Laughing

I've got some in the works. I'll let you know what I think, once they arrive. If I'm not happy with them, I may source some from across the pond.
Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Your bus looks great!

The love shows through all the attention to detail. Or is that just some mild OCD? Wink I can relate Rolling Eyes

What color did you paint it?

My 1968 Campmobile
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
Your bus looks great!

Thanks for the compliment!

Quote:
The love shows through all the attention to detail. Or is that just some mild OCD? Wink I can relate Rolling Eyes

Hey...what are you trying to say?!?!?! Laughing
Okay, maybe just a little. I've had some not very good days, working on this ol' gal. Every time I feel like that, I walk away for a while and remember that I really do love this thing; that way I can give her the attention she deserves. Its a lot more fun that way.

Quote:
What color did you paint it?

I had the paint scanned by a paint rep with a camera. They take shots at a few different spots and have the color analyzed. It is L90D, pastel white. Interestingly enough, the paint changes hues, depending on the light at different times throughout the day. If you notice in the photo above, it has a very warm glow, in the late afternoon, when the sun is setting. At noon it appears brilliant white.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

I always thought those trailers were neat. Can’t wait to see how it turned out.

Bus looks great poking out of the garage!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
I always thought those trailers were neat. Can’t wait to see how it turned out.

Bus looks great poking out of the garage!

Thanks man! It was late in the afternoon and the light was starting to fade, as was I, after a long weekend of tinkering. I had gone to the end of the driveway to speak with a neighbor, and when I turned around, the weird, warm glow, just kinda struck me, so I took the pictures.

I'm hoping to get the trailer back this week, possibly next. Can't wait either!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

A couple of weekends ago, I made an effort to move towards making my little buddies really happy...I secured the upper bunk! Laughing

Good things are happening, and I'm making some really good headway on the project! I decided to start tackling the interior and putting things back in place. As I've mentioned before, I have been somewhat tortured by which direction to take with the interior. Do I do a full restoration, with "new" products, that don't quite match the original materials? Or, do I put the existing pieces back in place and leave it historically correct? Little things like not being able to find a suitable Formica that actually matches the stuff used in the '74's has been a little bit of a PITA. If anyone has a source for NOS 117-58, colonial cherry, let me know! Again, this bus has weathered time pretty well, and shows as a pretty good survivor. After much back and forth, I've decided to leave as much of the history in place, as possible. There may be a few things that have been changed out, but I prefer the idea of my kids not being frightened to use the camper, as it was intended.

I started by putting the "head-splitter" cover back in place:

It was not a horribly difficult task. However, it did require the part being left in the sun for a while, to soften up, before I could get it on. Once I had it in place, I finished securing the upper bunk, using the hardware to attach it to the body of the bus.

From there, I finished insulating the walls:

I know it may seem silly. However, I couldn't bear the idea of using the pink Owens Corning fiberglass. I threw out the original insulation, as it had seen better days. It was gray. The closest thing I could find to replicate it was the stuff seen above. Its made by Johns Manville. I believe it is R-13. It comes in small rolls that are individually wrapped. So far so good, no complaints!

Put the long piece back in and installed the plastic sheet, that goes under the carpet:

Carpet is in:

Wanted to see how the step cover would look, before I actually attached it:

I need to get some new screws. The old ones need to be replaced, before I can put the metal coping back in place.

Put the bench back in place and secured it and the arm rests:

Well, you may have noticed a step stool and a pair of shoes, laying about. I couldn't keep them out of the top bunk. Actually, it was really cool having them hanging around, up top, while I was fiddling with things:

It was so nice listening to them making plans for how things were going to go, once we get out in the wild with the bus. I can't wait!!! We also talked about taking them to one of the remaining drive-in movie theaters, which is a couple of hours from here, so they could watch from up top and eat popcorn. Again, can't wait to make it happen!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Life has been very busy lately, so I haven't have much time to spend on the bus, nor updates. Embarassed

None of these things are necessarily bad, as I have been spending time with my family. My kids just wrapped up spring break...lots of fun was had. Unfortunately, one of the things I missed out on was the No Dough Show and subsequently the Southeastern Bay Window Rally. That bummed me out quite a bit this year! I've been saying that I would attend since the inaugural event and haven't been able to. I really thought this would be the year. Alas, no such luck. However, we will make sure not to schedule anything on that weekend for next year, and God willing we'll be there.

With that behind us, I have tried to pick up where I left off and revisit the idea of doing at least one thing per day. The past few days have involved a little more cleaning and prepping.

I started with the plumbing for the sink:

Some of the parts attached to the outer portion of the pipe:

Nothing too crazy...just cleaned them up with soap and water, prepping them before I install them in the cabinet. I'm going to test all the connections for leaks and fit before I put the cabinet back in the bus, rather than finding out the hard way that something wasn't quite right, before you fill things up with water. Shocked Laughing

The next part actually brought me a good deal of joy...probably more than it should have, but I was really pleased with the results! I started to clean the trim that outlines the upper bunk opening. I'm sure that not all of the grime could possibly be attributed to use - some of it must have accrued during storage. Nevertheless, it was a lot nastier than I thought! Yuck!!!

I started with this:

A little Krud Kutter and a toothbrush. I was careful to test it, to make sure it wasn't too aggressive. Thankfully it was not. Now I did not leave it on the material for very long at all. I would work in very small sections, maybe 4-6 inches at a go. I would do some on the front, then turn it over and do the back. After about 6 inches, just used a paper towel to wipe off the excess. Here's how things looked as I went along:

Some side by side comparisons:

All done:

As I said, I probably shouldn't experience as much joy as I do, cleaning up these pieces, but I do. Oh well! There is something very satisfying knowing that I may be adding a good many years of service to the parts.

That's it for now. I'm still waiting to hear back from the powder coaters, regarding the trailer. I had some paint color matched for the wood panels above, as they have begun to show their age. Also, I damaged the headliner [before we moved houses] by dropping it on the end that meets up with the rest of the interior. The small ears were damaged beyond use and I don't think the clips that attach the two sections will hide the damage, so I'll be making a new one. Naturally, it will need to be painted as well.

Thanks again for stopping by to check things out...stay tuned!!!

Cool
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

I've always enjoyed the cleaning aspect. It make such a HUGE difference! Thank you for the updates as it keeps me motivated and the detailed pictures. Looks Great!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

NoBudgetVWGarage wrote:
I've always enjoyed the cleaning aspect. It make such a HUGE difference! Thank you for the updates as it keeps me motivated and the detailed pictures. Looks Great!

I agree! To me it feels like validation for all the effort that has come before. I guess being close to finished helps tremendously too. Every time I get to spend a little time tidying something up, it makes me realize that I'm that one step closer to being "done." Whatever that is Shocked Laughing

I spent a little time on the headliner this weekend...its close, but I still have some tweaking to do. If I'm not completely satisfied, I might start over. So close to being time to paint. Can't wait!!!

Thanks for checking things out, as well as the encouragement!

Keep at it! One bite at a time!

Later
a.
Cool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

It has been ages since I have been anywhere near the bus! It has been killing me! Very little has been done. I am using this post as a reminder and inspiration, to pick up where I left off. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm a firm believer in doing at least one thing a day, no matter how big or small the task is. Today, this is my one thing.

We just got back from a nice, overseas, family, vacation. Coupled with the fact that the kids have been out of school for a while now, and an absolutely relentless schedule, I have managed to neglect the bus and have made nearly zero progress. So in order to change that, I'm going to focus on the interior, ceiling panels. They have all been prepped and need to be painted. I hope to address them in the very near future.

In the interim, I finally got around to making new wires for the sidemarker lights. One of them was fine, however, as you'll note in the pictures below, the other had been "gatored" up. Therefore, if I was going to make one, I might as well make the other.

This one was pretty chewed up. I couldn't deal with it! I had to peel back a bunch of electrical tape, but this is what I found when I got there:

Pretty ugly!!!

The other one looked like this:

Not nearly as bad!!! Just a couple of little nicks on the 12v wire:

Here's some of the stuff I used to replicate what was original to the bus:

A couple of shots of the new wires along side the old:

Onwards!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Nice job and the correct tools always help.
Keep it coming.
Tcash
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Nice job and the correct tools always help.
Keep it coming.
Tcash

Thanks for the kind words of encouragement Tcash!

The right tools do indeed make the job so much more enjoyable. I hope to wrap this project up, sooner than later. Soooooo close! Shouldn't be too much longer. Lots of little things to take care of.

Later,
a.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 19

Jump to: