Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

The past several weeks, I have been trying to figure out how to get the case machined. I spoke with Rocky Jennings.

End result:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The case shipped out earlier this week. It should be in Rocky's posession towards the end of next week. I look forward to getting it back, sorted out and ready to go.

In the meantime, gonna try to keep my hands busy and enjoy the Christmas Holiday with family and friends. Cool
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Glad you are making progress. I am dealing with the same deal engine-wise; rebuilding a build that had some problems. I agree with Clatter about having a driving engine and an OCD measuring engine that will someday be perfect. My engine was running well but the heads are too nice to run it once I realized the problems within. The way I’m going I will end up with two engines like this.

Good luck with your build.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Applause

What’s That Noise?!?
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Glad you are making progress. I am dealing with the same deal engine-wise; rebuilding a build that had some problems. I agree with Clatter about having a driving engine and an OCD measuring engine that will someday be perfect. My engine was running well but the heads are too nice to run it once I realized the problems within. The way I’m going I will end up with two engines like this.

Good luck with your build.

Thank you sir! I've been following along in your thread. It would seem that the two of us having been traveling a very similar path.

PM sent
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Applause

After a little soul searching, seemed like the only logical conclusion. I'm hopeful that Rocky will be able to work his magic and I look forward to being able to get this thing put back together!!!

As always, thank you, and all those who contribute to the thread!

Cool
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

We need to hold an exorcism before that new motor goes in. Couldn't hurt, pour some Coors light on it. Wink Laughing

" The power of COORS compels you!"

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Clatter wrote:
Applause

After a little soul searching, seemed like the only logical conclusion. I'm hopeful that Rocky will be able to work his magic and I look forward to being able to get this thing put back together!!!

Cool

A friend across the lake in Vermont is advising me on my build. He is a self proclaimed stock purist and recommend that I ship my stuff to Rocky Jennings should I need machining done.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
We need to hold an exorcism before that new motor goes in. Couldn't hurt, pour some Coors light on it. Wink Laughing

" The power of COORS compels you!"

Shame on you

I know that you stated you've gone off the IPA's, but I would think pouring that stuff Sick Sick on the engine would have the opposite effect and would introduce the types of evil entities I'm tryin to exorcise!!! Laughing
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
white74westy wrote:
Clatter wrote:
Applause

Cool

A friend across the lake in Vermont is advising me on my build. He is a self proclaimed stock purist and recommend that I ship my stuff to Rocky Jennings should I need machining done.

He had the right answers to all of my questions. There was lots of back and forth; pics etc. He clearly knows what he's doing. I think his work speaks for itself. I'm really hoping to get the same great results as others. Sure would be nice to put this thing to bed, sooner than later. I'm praying that I might be able to get the family out camping in the spring!!! Pray Pray Pray
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Was your crankshaft ground to an undersize? I am trying to figure out measuring at this point. Nailing down that thousandth so I’m confident in it. The feel part...whether I make the micrometer tight so that it takes a little effort to get to get off the journal or whether I set it so it slides easily with just a little resistance is the difference between the low and high end of the spec.
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Colors Light works in a pinch..

What’s That Noise?!?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

How many Colors Light did you have before you posted? Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

You would think that the one proper noun a phone should know..

In all seriousness,
I'd be very interested to see what exactly Rocky Jennings does with a stock VW case for a type 4 bus.

Want to see if he keeps track of how many thou it takes to clean up the deck,
or if he line-bores the mains 'for good measure'.

Did he want the bearings sent out with the case?

Also lifter bores,
Because he sleeves them for racing apps,
You can bet he'll be checking those carefully..

Many times,
A really good tech will know what needs done,
What helps,
And what's best left alone.
Experience teaches this;
It's a newb who does everything every time, dig?

Keep us posted on how this all plays out.
I'm so interested in how this particular guy approaches this case.

In all likelihood,
It's probably a total 'yawner' for him,
What with his Oxyboxer type 5 builds and all..

Probably a deck, line-bore, and that's it.

What’s That Noise?!?
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Don't I know it. Auto correct has me looking like an idiot more than usual. Confused

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

I'm such a cunning lingoist that autocorrect changes about half of what I type..!

What’s That Noise?!?
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Was your crankshaft ground to an undersize? I am trying to figure out measuring at this point. Nailing down that thousandth so I’m confident in it. The feel part...whether I make the micrometer tight so that it takes a little effort to get to get off the journal or whether I set it so it slides easily with just a little resistance is the difference between the low and high end of the spec.

Yes, the crank was ground.

As we've written about before, the whole measuring thing, at least done properly, is definitely an artform! My crankshaft was somehow able to magically grow, after I got it back from the machine shop. Laughing Laughing Laughing

It can most certainly be frustrating, particularly when you get to the ten thousandths. Shocked Twisted Evil
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Colors Light works in a pinch..

How cool is that kid?!?! Cool

He's going to have some awesome stories to tell [when its his turn] and even better memories, I'm sure!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
How many Colors Light did you have before you posted? Wink Laughing

I missed it the first time I read Clatter's post. Laughing Laughing Laughing
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

In all seriousness,
I'd be very interested to see what exactly Rocky Jennings does with a stock VW case for a type 4 bus.

Want to see if he keeps track of how many thou it takes to clean up the deck,
or if he line-bores the mains 'for good measure'.

Did he want the bearings sent out with the case?

Also lifter bores,
Because he sleeves them for racing apps,
You can bet he'll be checking those carefully..

Many times,
A really good tech will know what needs done,
What helps,
And what's best left alone.
Experience teaches this;
It's a newb who does everything every time, dig?

Keep us posted on how this all plays out.
I'm so interested in how this particular guy approaches this case.

In all likelihood,
It's probably a total 'yawner' for him,
What with his Oxyboxer type 5 builds and all..

Probably a deck, line-bore, and that's it.

Yup. I suspect we'll cross that bridge once we get there. I will most certainly ask for all the pertinent details, at the very least, for the sake of posterity.

No bearings were sent, as I wasn't sure what would be required, post machining. I will defer to his expertise, specific to whatever is needed. At the moment, I'm having it align bored, decked, tapped and plugged and a piece that was broken off the breather tower welded back in place. I'll wait to hear if anything else is required. As always, I will post any and all data I receive so that there is a record of it.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Just to make sure I am following you...as I am in the same place...

You pulled apart an engine built by a reputable builder because of low oil pressure and found the crazy ball valve thing and out of spec case.

You started with a crank that had already been ground 1 undersize (.010) and measured it before and after polish. You also had a spare 1.7 crank that also looks like it was ground one undersize at some point.

You had your rods balanced, rebushed, etc.

You also had the machine shop check the weight of pistons, pins etc. I know they are AA pistons. Were they new or used? Did the machine shop do any other checks or work on them?

Sorry to jump in on your thread, but it has been really helpful to read along.
I have the exact same hope of going camping with my family by the end of June. All my metalwork and paint deadlines are out the window as more than anything I would like to build a reliable engine and not worry when taking longer trips.

You look like your on the right track.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 16 of 19

Jump to: