Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

I’m glad to hear the good news about your case. My build will like require the same bearing setup. Starting with a solid freshly machined bottom end is a good plan. Stacking everything up so it’s straight and true is hard enough, but no fun to be fighting with a wonky deck, out of round bores, etc. Look forward to hearing more news on your build.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
white74westy wrote:
However, he can only locate bearings that meet my needs, case .020 and crank .010 with an oversized thrust main. He has offered to cut it down to fit. Think I'm going to take him up on it.

Absolutely, absolutely have Rocky fit mains to the case.

100%.

No question.

Yup!
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I’m glad to hear the good news about your case. My build will like require the same bearing setup. Starting with a solid freshly machined bottom end is a good plan. Stacking everything up so it’s straight and true is hard enough, but no fun to be fighting with a wonky deck, out of round bores, etc. Look forward to hearing more news on your build.

No doubt! The last case and the work done to it strengthened my resolve to do better. I only hope to give it my best effort and I hope not to screw things up!

I'll update as things progress. Still waiting for Rocky to say that he's completed the work. At this point, I've left him alone to do the work at his pace. I've answered a couple of questions when asked, but otherwise intentionally left the artist alone to do his thing! I suspect he's waiting for the bearings to arrive and will begin sizing them ASAP.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

I recieved this little update yesterday:

Alexis, Block decked. All oil galleys drilled and tapped, In line for line bore. I will let you know when we are close to shipping. How much did it cost to ship the block to me? Thanks Rocky

Stoked!!!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

I'm almost as excited as you are. I'm currently packing up my pistons, fan, flex plate etc for Jose at DPR crank.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I'm almost as excited as you are. I'm currently packing up my pistons, fan, flex plate etc for Jose at DPR crank.

Heck yeah man!!! I'm stoked for you! Have you determined what you're going to do for the case yet? I'm still yet to hear back from Rocky...I suspect it won't be too long!
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

I’m excited for both you guys.

Looking forward to details on how Rocky did up your case. Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
I’m excited for both you guys.

Looking forward to details on how Rocky did up your case. Cool

Oh man...I can't wait!!!! Dancing Pray Drool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Things have been slow going. I've been piddling around, here and there. Getting little things done. So satisfying!

Finally finished the trim pieces that go in the back of the bus:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Trouble with this one is that I didn't take a picture before I put the cabinet back in place: Rolling Eyes

Also got a bunch of stuff back from powder coating. It was all the stuff that had been covered in overspray, way back when the body work was being done. While I was there, I picked up this little beauty:

Richard (PowderTech Plus) got it in a parts lot. He wasn't going to do anything with it and asked if I was interested. Initially, I wasn't, as I already owned one; albeit broken. Upon reflection, I started to realize that I could kill a couple of birds with one stone. I had always intended to repair the broken stool, but this would allow me to have one for each of my children. In theory, it should help to quell some of the potential campsite arguments. Confused Laughing

As you can see, it was a little crusty:

Here are a couple of shots of the broken one that I just got back from a buddy:

New score, disassembled:

Made a couple of wooden bases:

I'll post some pics, once I have reassembled.

Also, there's this:

I just brought this little beauty home last night. I've sarted a thread over in the Eurovan forum: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=734329&highlight=

It should be an interesting learning experience!

All that behind us, let's get to the meat and potatoes!!!

Rocky sent me these pictures earlier in the week:

The case had all the plugs removed and subsequently drilled and tapped. It has also been decked and been align bored. Rocky told me that the shipping label went on the box and is awaiting pick up. I can't wait!!!

In the meantime, I have a few days to try and squeeze in all of my preperations. I'm going to try and disassemble the heads, clean them up and reassemble them. I have been using the ultra sonic cleaner to clean as many pieces and parts as possible. I will also begin assembling the crank, so that its ready to go.

That's all for now.

I hope everyone is staying healthy and safe, during these crazy times! Cool
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Cool Feels good to get some headway I bet.

I had to do similar to a seat I found as well. Fix them and release them back to the wild.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Yes!!

Cool

What’s That Noise?!?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

white74westy wrote:
Also, there's this:

I just brought this little beauty home last night.

I sense an imbalance in The Force.
Luke, turn away from the Dark Side!

Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Cool Feels good to get some headway I bet.

I had to do similar to a seat I found as well. Fix them and release them back to the wild.

Man...soooooo good! I've been so patient, waiting for the case to get done. In fairness, I'm glad it has taken as long as it has. I have had so much on my plate of late, that is hard to think straight at times, let alone contemplate an engine build. It will now be a welcome distraction. I've got a ton of cleaning and prep to do. Started some of it this weekend. Can't wait to get her sorted out! Cool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Yes!!

Cool

So jazzed! It looks beautiful. I can't wait to see it in person.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:

I sense an imbalance in The Force.
Luke, turn away from the Dark Side!

Laughing

Hi Kent!

Too funny!

There must be light for the dark, and dark for the light. Yin and Yang.

All joking aside. I hadn't ever considered a water cooled! Ever! This was just one of those deals that I couldn't possibly say "no" to. I suspect it would have become a victim of some well-intentioned fool, or worse yet been sent off to the crusher otherwise. Anyhow, still not entirely sure what I'm going to do with it. Once I get the bus sorted out, I'll start to give her some real attention, then I'll decide what the long term plan is.
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

I have been busy trying to get the '95 EVC up and running. However, there's been some work on the bus getting done too, albeit very little. The case came back and at first glance, it looks amazing!

I will get a closer look very soon.

First comes the cleaning. I have been putting everything in the ultrasonic. There will be several rounds of cleaning done that way. During the first round, I've been using Simple green. The ultrasonic has a nice heating feature, that allows for a combination of the ultrasonic, detergent, and heat. I've put the lifters, rocker arms, hardware and even the heads in there. I will continue to use the Simple Green for the next round or two. Once I feel like the bulk of the dirt and grime have loosened up sufficiently, I'll switch over to a proper cleaner designed for engine/carb parts.

The other day I popped the breather box in the ultrasonic. I was shocked at the amount of coke that came out. This is a very small sampling of the junk that came out:

I didn't think to keep some of the larger chunks that washed out in the first couple of rinses. It goes to show that you can never be too clean.

Anyhow, that's all for now. I hope to get a good amount of cleaning and prep done very soon. I will of course post my findings/results. If anyone sees anything along the way that I have missed, please don't hesitate to jump in and let me know!

a.
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Good news on the case. Can’t wait to see it.

I remember my crankcase breather was choked up with creosote to the max as well. Like you, I feared pieces of that gunk breaking loose and falling inside my brand new build. I started with lightweight dissolving agents but ended up trying legit old school easy off oven cleaner. Breather placed inside a gallon size plastic bag and spray it full the best I could and let sit for 10-15 min then would add hot water to the bag until it was submerged then dunk the entire bag in the ultrasonic. Took several cycles cause that junk just keeps on coming out, but all the gunk stays in the bag instead if the ultrasonic tank. Of course the easy off ate the paint off the breather and I needed to repaint.

The plastic part of the breather was another story. After seeing someone here take one apart by scoring and prying at the seam, I think SGkent, I remember seeing a little flapper inside that I think gets roached when the oil builds up. Now I’m starting to think that’s what’s wrong with mine and thinking about popping that apart and making sure it’s working properly. At times I get bursts of oil working back though and throwing it around my compartment.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

WildIdea wrote:
Good news on the case. Can’t wait to see it.

I remember my crankcase breather was choked up with creosote to the max as well. Like you, I feared pieces of that gunk breaking loose and falling inside my brand new build. I started with lightweight dissolving agents but ended up trying legit old school easy off oven cleaner. Breather placed inside a gallon size plastic bag and spray it full the best I could and let sit for 10-15 min then would add hot water to the bag until it was submerged then dunk the entire bag in the ultrasonic. Took several cycles cause that junk just keeps on coming out, but all the gunk stays in the bag instead if the ultrasonic tank. Of course the easy off ate the paint off the breather and I needed to repaint.

The plastic part of the breather was another story. After seeing someone here take one apart by scoring and prying at the seam, I think SGkent, I remember seeing a little flapper inside that I think gets roached when the oil builds up. Now I’m starting to think that’s what’s wrong with mine and thinking about popping that apart and making sure it’s working properly. At times I get bursts of oil working back though and throwing it around my compartment.

Yes sir! I hope you and yours are keeping well my friend?

From an outward appearance, it doesn't look like much. In fact, the case is almost downright ugly. However, I'm not sure what direction I'm going in there. I'm not sure how much benefit one gets from having a case that is shiny on the outside? I'd almost rather direct my efforts elsewhere, particularly when one realizes that the majority of it will remain unseen, under tins etc. If there are other reasons besides aesthetics to polish the outside of the case, I'm all ears!!!

The real beauty is the machine work that was done. The holes are beautifully tapped. The part that was welded back on the breather box looks amazing, and the align bore is just a thing of sweetness. I promise to post more detailed pictures, once I cross that bridge. I've got a lot of things that I'm trying to juggle at the moment.

I like your idea about putting some of the parts inside a zip-lock!!! Not sure why it hadn't crossed my mind. That's the beauty of this forum, one can always learn, if he or she is willing! Thankfully, my breather box doesn't have the diaphragm. The pre-FI were basically just a canister. However, there's still plenty of places for that junk to get caught in. Busy cleaning away!
Cool
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

It is utter madness at the white74westy house!!! Trying to stay on top of multiple projects at one time. Initially I had hoped to start one project, and see it through to completion, before I started the next. I have had very little success in doing so, to this point. I started working on the transmission on the EVC and had to stop, once it was time to order parts. Bagged the valve body up and laid it on the bench, until the parts came in. Next, I received a call from my friend that the panels for the Westy trailer were ready for pick up. Woohoo!!! They look absolutely amazing. Once again, I was stymied there as I must wait for the PB Blaster to do its thing on some rusted bolts.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned along the way is not to rush!!! Every time I have ever tried to push the pace a little too far, I end up making mistakes, breaking something, or the quality of work suffers. I'm not willing to do any of those things. However, it's difficult not to feel overwhelmed a little.

Nevertheless, I'm moving forward. This weekend I managed to get going on some of the deep cleaning, in preparation for the upcoming engine build.

I started with the heads. I immersed them in the ultrasonic as much as I could in order to remove as much of the carbon deposits as possible:

Eventually, I turned the head the other direction, so the valves face downward. This helped me to loosen the deposits sufficiently enough to get the combustion chamber and valves clean:

The ultrasonic is an amazing tool!!! It has managed to get nearly all of the nasty crud off the heads, with minimal assistance from wire brushes. The first couple of rounds I have merely used Simple Green, to help get rid of the really heavy, greasy nastiness. The next couple of rounds I will be using a solution that I bought made specifically for cleaning engine/carburetor parts.

Yesterday afternoon, I managed to remove all the valves. This is what the bench looked like at the end of a long day:

In reality, almost all of the valves were in really good shape. However, there were a couple that had some scoring (not sure if that is the right term) on the stem. I could feel a ridge, where the valve felt as if it had been gouged. I don't know what the cause might be. Perhaps I was at fault in some way, when I was removing them from the head. Either way, I did not feel confident reusing them. Not worth the headache, or another nagging feeling that I should have done this, or that while I was in there. I ordered Manley valves. The part numbers: (42mm Intake) 11628-4 and (36mm Exhaust) 11629-4. Once they arrive, I will get started on lapping the valves and rebuilding the heads. Hopefully from there, I'll be able to make some good progress on the cleaning the rest of the parts, and readying everything for assembly.

Cool
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: A promise, patience, and persistence - My 1974 Westfalia thread Reply with quote

Glad you got your case back and are moving forward again. Parts look great.

I get the overwhelmed part. I got my crank, rods and balanced parts on Friday. They are way better than the old parts I’ve been throwing around in my last rebuild. I’ve got that handle them like a bomb that will go off feeling again.

Looking forward to seeing more of your build.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: