Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any info on this style fan shroud?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dailydubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

Hello I'm hoping someone can identify this fan shroud? Is it available through a supplier or a custom piece? Any help would be appreciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

Custom piece. Back in the day we did this by welding a bicycle fender to the top.
veeweeman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

That looks like a custom piece. ..I believe the builder rolled some tubing to match the 36hp fan shroud profile, cut the tubing in half and then welded it to the flat profile. ..it's not hard to do, it will be a tedious time consuming mod...from what I see he did an excellent job. ..I might try that some day. ...very cool Very Happy
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

It's a modified aftermarket 36hp dog house shroud.... It's custom.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dailydubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. Im am going to attempt this soon and I will post pics of the outcome. If it turns out well we might offer a limited run of them on our website.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

I like the way it looks!!! Working with fanhousings with Cali Style taught me even small changes make a difference either better or worse. If it was one of the better, meaning close to OEM and no vanes were removed or moved, OK good start. I would think the height would be the same as stock due to it fitting in the car. If not it would be higher or lower. Stock tops are flat. Does round flow air better, Surely you loose some area , by cutting corners, a pun.. but serious. '

Keep in mind the 36 hp fanhousing with a doghouse was not stock to begin with . Works great, that is what I use in manual.

A T-4 is very forgiving and runs cooler then a T-1 due to the 1/3 larger heads dissipating heat, so you have less worry about some non OEM mods.

A T-1 fanhousing is right on the fence when it comes to cooling . Not plugging a hole here or there makes a difference.\

Hay if not problem found with a rise in temp great.

So what do we know besides it looks great.
Would I sell a bunch and wait to see if I get a law suit, not me.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

One hopes the internals were kept so the vanes are still there and doing their job. I would guess someone that particular would have done so!
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

That is an awesome looking show car engine, but I would guess it would run very hot and overheat in an actual street driven car.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
That is an awesome looking show car engine, but I would guess it would run very hot and overheat in an actual street driven car.

What do you see, or don't see that is telling you it will over heat?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

I could swear I remember seeing a handful of these at the Sacto BOR years ago. IIRC they were not modified stock shrouds.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

What do you see, or don't see that is telling you it will over heat?

Shroud, power pulley, oil filter & lines location.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

Looks great - almost art deco...Very clean...Interesting choice of colors, but it works very well. Asside from the power pulley, i don't see anything that is really an issue myself - Yeah - oil lines are a little closer to the header than I would like, but have sen a lot of cars like that. And it has a doghouse, which helps.

Applause to the designer/builder.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

It doesn't look like he necessarily cut the flat top off, he could have just welded the curve over it...
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

Donīt think its a power pulley, but the oil filter location is hopefully just for show.
T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eaallred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

That's a common place to mount an external filter. There are numerous companies making brackets to mount them like that.

Nothing about that screams that it would overheat. The whole "if it's not a stock shroud outs gonna overheat" bs needs to gtfo.

You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; Jealousy you have to earn.
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

I'm a function-first guy all day. But that shroud looks nice.

Max
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
That's a common place to mount an external filter. There are numerous companies making brackets to mount them like that.

Nothing about that screams that it would overheat. The whole "if it's not a stock shroud outs gonna overheat" bs needs to gtfo.

It was also a common thing to mount your oil cooler infront of the fan shroud opening. I'm with Dave. Lets take an aluminum bracket attached to one of the hottest areas of the engine, mount an aluminum filter mount to it, and place our AN aluminum fittings inches away from the header.... I had a 20 degree oil temp drop by simply installing a Mallory spark plug wire heat shield over a set of braided lines around the header on a filter mount in the fender well. I've run 36hp doghouse shrouds on performance engines for probably 20 years without issue, so I'm with you on the cooling set up doesn't have to be 100% stock, but those filter mounts are just plain stupid. Its fine if the shroud has had the curve added to the top of a functional shroud, but if its completely open inside, good luck. Also good luck getting a deck lid spring to clear it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

Eaallred wrote:
I could swear I remember seeing a handful of these at the Sacto BOR years ago. IIRC they were not modified stock shrouds.

Yep, I believe "Fresno James" made them, bike fender on a 36hp shroud.
s.e.charles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2024 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Any info on this style fan shroud? Reply with quote

maybe answered here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=10187293#10187293
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: