Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mystix VW Phoenix (New video)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Realistic project?
Yes
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
No
35%
 35%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Mystix VW Phoenix (New video) Reply with quote

Hey everyone, my name is Mystix, this thread is about me and my VW Phoenix Restoration.

I was raised by my single mom in Miami. My grandparents came from cuba and were sent to indiana where my mother was born. My grandfather worked hard in the steel mills back in the 70s to support his family without knowing a lick of english. When she was pregnant my grandfather realized my dad was cheating on her, he was greatly disappointed in her judgment and sent her away.
We were poor, I saw my mom go through college while working to get a better job and ensure me a comfortable future. She is the most beautiful person to me.

Anyways fast forward to now, my husband presented me with the opportunity to buy and restore a VW Phoenix. I was really excited and positive for this whole build. I work everyday doing deliveries and I was ready to work as hard as I can to fund this project. After I purchased it, it sat at the previous owners house for 3 months.

Within those 3 months my mother told me she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Completely heartbroken and scared for my mother, I felt lost and depressed and scared.

She looked at me and told me she wanted to see me achieve my dreams, she knew that this car wasn't only a project to me it is another form of my expression as an artist. So after her mastectomy I financed a tow and got my car sent to Indiana. We received it. Luckily I have an uncle who owns an engine and transmission shop and he is willing to let his mechanics work with me in the process of restoration.

I am just a "poor girl" trying to fulfill her dream.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the first check up, we discovered that the carb isn't sending enough gas to my fuel pump to keep it idling, we also discovered that the bushings are completely worn and the gas pedal is sticking a bit.

Where is a good place to find a carb kit? I was looking at Jbuggs
Any good performance carbs?

This is the latest installation about my VW Phoenix:

Link

Last edited by MystixVintageCruisn on Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:10 pm; edited 3 times in total
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: New VW Phoenix Owner Reply with quote

Congratulations on the purchase! Not too many of those running around. Bus owners will be able to tell you how to lift with point lifts; personally I prefer the drive-on lifts since there is no pressure anywhere on the chassis. First thing you should know is that this is not a VW in any way except for the chassis. Home built, using foam and fiberglass, and with a steel tube frame underneath. If you're not seeing any obvious signs of delamination or cracking in the fiberglass, you're probably good to go. Build quality varied depending on who built it. Some where built well, others.. skimped on materials. Only you know for sure if your van "feels" solid. Hang on the Type2 forum and ask questions there for the mechanicals - they'll have far more information than you'll find here in the kit section.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BIGMIKEY
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Phoenix Owner Reply with quote

That is a good looking example of the Phoenix. Maybe you already know but take a look around this website for some insight on how yours came to be.

https://www.rqriley.com/phx.html

Mike T

Deserter Series 1 project.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=787047&highlight=

1973 Beetle Driver, Marina Blue.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Phoenix Owner Reply with quote

That's kool. Probably lighter weight and more streamline than original bus. Easy to boost HP of OEM engine or convert to Subaru engine.
MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Phoenix Owner Reply with quote

Thanks guys! The previous owner told me the whole story of how this particular phoenix came to be. But, I will def look into anything you guys link me to.
MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Phoenix Owner Reply with quote

Wolfgangdieter wrote:
That's kool. Probably lighter weight and more streamline than original bus. Easy to boost HP of OEM engine or convert to Subaru engine.

Thats something that might be an option in the future because I know that problems with VW Engine.
vponder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: New VW Phoenix Owner Reply with quote

Thats a cool ride, I see your from Fla, need to bring it to a VW show in May at Amelia Island , last weekend. I would love to see it in person.
kitcarguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: New VW Phoenix Owner Reply with quote

Not many around because most people could not built them from the plans. Very cool vans though . Lets see some more pics!
MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: New VW Phoenix Owner Reply with quote

vponder wrote:
Thats a cool ride, I see your from Fla, need to bring it to a VW show in May at Amelia Island , last weekend. I would love to see it in person.

I am from florida but my car is getting fixed in the Midwest. I won't be in florida with this car for another 2 years I'm hitting different states first.
MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: New VW Phoenix Owner Reply with quote

kitcarguy wrote:
Not many around because most people could not built them from the plans. Very cool vans though . Lets see some more pics!

I find that posting pics is very risky, people steal them and make slideshows on youtube for their own profit. When I'm ready I will release a video or photoset on my personal website for people to view, until then here is me in my cab...
It is very small and only someone as small as me in it.
I'm only 5 foot 2 110 pounds.
It was built from the plans,
just very small.

MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Mystix VW Phoenix Reply with quote

These are photos of my carburetor. The gasket was worn so he made a new one, but the jets are still clogged according to him and I need to buy a carb kit. I'm also looking for a new carb or for suggestions for performance carbs to look at for future repairs...
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Mystix VW Phoenix Reply with quote

You can get rid of that vacuum pot, it really isn't needed just plug the hoses going to it. Carb kits are available from any ACVW supplier.

As far as performance parts, do some time reading in the Performance section of this forum. From mild to wild you can build anything you want.

brad
MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystix VW Phoenix Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
You can get rid of that vacuum pot, it really isn't needed just plug the hoses going to it. Carb kits are available from any ACVW supplier.

As far as performance parts, do some time reading in the Performance section of this forum. From mild to wild you can build anything you want.

brad

I was looking at jbuggs, is there a difference in quality?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystix VW Phoenix Reply with quote

Is the engine a stock 1600? If so get a rebuilt Verman 34PICT-3 from Tim at voltzbiz.

The aftermarket carbs are crap and will never work right out of the box.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystix VW Phoenix Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Is the engine a stock 1600? If so get a rebuilt Verman 34PICT-3 from Tim at voltzbiz.

The aftermarket carbs are crap and will never work right out of the box.

Yes the engine is stock, the old man rewired a few things...

I heard on the facebook forums that the new carbs will flood your engine so I'm kinda afraid of that happening just buying anything on the internet without help haha
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystix VW Phoenix Reply with quote

Looks like a stock single port. A 205T, which is what you have is the correct one for that engine.

I would not change anything.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystix VW Phoenix Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Looks like a stock single port. A 205T, which is what you have is the correct one for that engine.

I would not change anything.

I don't want to change it but it's not releasing fuel to the fuel pump.. my mechanic wants me to purchase a carb kit to try and fix it.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystix VW Phoenix Reply with quote

MystixVintageCruisn wrote:
... it's not releasing fuel to the fuel pump...

Hello @Mystics, I luv your van almost as much as your hair! (They go together well.) Anyway, about the carb kit, some basics. Fuel from your gas tank is sent to the carburetor by the fuel pump. What your mechanic is probably talking about is a different pump that is located within the carb. It's call'd the accelerator pump. When your foot depresses the gas pedal, especially at a time like when cruising along behind somebody you'd like to pass, and you step on it to get moving faster, the accelerator pump is supposed to squirt some extra gas down the carb's throat. If that's not working, then instead of speeding up right away, you'll feel a stumble. Carb kit may be a good idea in that case.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MystixVintageCruisn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystix VW Phoenix Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:
MystixVintageCruisn wrote:
... it's not releasing fuel to the fuel pump...

Hello @Mystics, I luv your van almost as much as your hair! (They go together well.) Anyway, about the carb kit, some basics. Fuel from your gas tank is sent to the carburetor by the fuel pump. What your mechanic is probably talking about is a different pump that is located within the carb. It's call'd the accelerator pump. When your foot depresses the gas pedal, especially at a time like when cruising along behind somebody you'd like to pass, and you step on it to get moving faster, the accelerator pump is supposed to squirt some extra gas down the carb's throat. If that's not working, then instead of speeding up right away, you'll feel a stumble. Carb kit may be a good idea in that case.

Thank you for the positive vibes!
Do you have a suggestion for a carb kit? I was just going to buy from jbuggs..
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Mystix VW Phoenix Reply with quote

The inw frim jbugs will be fine.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: