Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Van in gear will not move
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

Almost every "how to" regarding CV replacement on the Porsche chat boards (using the identical bolt and torque spec) mentions the importance of clean & dry threads, so I figured I'd pass along what they recommend.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technic...oints.html
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

That's because the grease in the CV environment is a "moly lube", the worst kind of grease to have when you want thread locking. And its for the customer to drive away, never to be seen again (for this issue, as the shop wishes).

The attentive vanagon owner can check and re-torque after 100 miles if necessary.

Wildthings wrote:
If there is no movement between the CVs and the flanges, there is little likelihood the bolts will come loose.

Yes, another way to say it is "If there is movement, the bolts WILL come loose". or "CV's that didn't come loose had zero movement".

I've been torquing my bolts to 33ft-lbs not dry (greased) and then re-checking them, using 33 ft-lbs they don't need a re-torque. I have NOT been replacing the schnorr washers, just re-using.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

Be careful of the CV’s
on full
axle
sets. Many are
not Lobro.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
... I have NOT been replacing the schnorr washers, just re-using.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.amazon.com/Yellow-Plated-SCHNORR-BelMe...rr+washers

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phaedrus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

Make sure you all pray to Zeus every evening before bed too! Legend has it that the vans of Samba members who aren't sufficiently afraid of his smite will spontaneously combust! Or don't ...
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
Be careful of the CV’s
on full
axle
sets. Many are
not Lobro.
'

I should be able to pay with confidence when they say it is german and loebro and not have to disassemble and inspect right?
What should I look out for?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Almost every "how to" regarding CV replacement on the Porsche chat boards (using the identical bolt and torque spec) mentions the importance of clean & dry threads, so I figured I'd pass along what they recommend.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technic...oints.html

By installing the bolts dry you are loosing 25-30% of the clamping force. To me that is asking for trouble.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

gears wrote:
Almost every "how to" regarding CV replacement on the Porsche chat boards (using the identical bolt and torque spec) mentions the importance of clean & dry threads

good link,

for those who have not clicked here are the highlights:

"5) Pre assembly; Install the CVs using the old bolts, moon plates and Schnorr washers and torque to spec (33 ft-lbs...

6) Final assembly; remove a pair of bolts and a single moon plate. Clean the threads in the bore of the CV and flange using aerosol “Brake Clean” and compressed air. A small “test tube” brush will help.
Compare the length of the new bolt to the just removed bolt.... Install dry with NEW Schnorr washer and the moon plate. Torque to spec; (33 ft-lbs ... Repeat for other bolts – two at a time.
"
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

elizer wrote:

Look at the shipping box. It should have a T3Technique.com decal on the box that looks like THIS.

Also if you buy new chinese axles can I have your old Genuine VW axles? The chinese axles are bigger diameter but the Syncro granny gear can break them pretty easy. OEM VW axles are stronger.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Aryana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
gears wrote:
Almost every "how to" regarding CV replacement on the Porsche chat boards (using the identical bolt and torque spec) mentions the importance of clean & dry threads

good link,

for those who have not clicked here are the highlights:

"5) Pre assembly; Install the CVs using the old bolts, moon plates and Schnorr washers and torque to spec (33 ft-lbs...

6) Final assembly; remove a pair of bolts and a single moon plate. Clean the threads in the bore of the CV and flange using aerosol “Brake Clean” and compressed air. A small “test tube” brush will help.
Compare the length of the new bolt to the just removed bolt.... Install dry with NEW Schnorr washer and the moon plate. Torque to spec; (33 ft-lbs ... Repeat for other bolts – two at a time.
"

Pretty darn easy if you just follow the directions and have the proper tools.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
dobryan wrote:
Be careful of the CV’s
on full
axle
sets. Many are
not Lobro.
'

I should be able to pay with confidence when they say it is german and loebro and not have to disassemble and inspect right?

It is advised by some to disassemble, clean and inspect new joints.
Some encourage polishing, most encourage using your quality grease over the factory's choice and quantity of grease.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

Sodo - Gonna be rebuilding the old cvs to have as spares.
Also I ordered from Van cafe I think shipping might be a little slower. I went with the lobro front axle assemblies and the 944 rear.

Dave - I think I will go ahead and take apart the joints and take a look. When people polish up the joints do they just use a 1000grit paper or a dremel ?

What is the CV grease of choice? I have used lucas brand grease for my motorcycle and I honestly have no way of knowing its effectiveness over the factory grease.

Jon- I think I will go with that assembly set up. So basically installl the new cv with the old hardware. Remove, clean, and replace with new hardware.

I was planning on an engine conversion this winter so I am really hoping the transaxle is good because I was planning on doing a rebuild when I did the conversion and adding a decoupler. If the vc is the issue I was thinking about pulling the driveshaft going rwd this season until winter.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

sounds like you are making great progress

we have @gears to thank for the dry fastener link, and I have absolute respect for anything he says

verify if you need/want 12 point fasteners, (I prefer them over 6 point), for the 944 joints, and the appropriate driver.. they are longer, and iirc the 944 joint is thicker.. confirm and verify with a professional

and imo, absolutely Yes to adding a decoupler to your Syncro.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

Jon Wilco.

When I get them in I will take a look and see what I need to make sure this goes as smoothly as possible. Hopefully ill get my order from rmw so I am shooting for a weekend install. We have been having freakishly warm weather in the mid atlantic and I hope it carries over for the install. I just got some 12 points and hope they work. If not I will figure it out.

I actually want to thank all you guys. Every ones input helps me and I really appreciate it.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

I ordered new axles from VC/RMW on the 20th. They are still trying to get their warehouse in order so doesn't look like ill be getting to it this weekend or even the next. I have drill next weekend as well so Probably looking at about 2 weeks for me to even get to putting in the rears.

If I have a VC issue I might end up pulling the drive shaft. I was thinking about doing the FAS 2.0t engine conversion this fall (in house install). I was going to get the transaxle rebuilt add decoupler/oiling plates and upgrade as much as I can on it. so I thought I could at least go 2wd this Summer and at least be able to have some camping adventures.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

I got my package and finally got around to opening it up. The box came beat to hell but everything inside survived. My ups guy has to hate me. It was well over 70 lbs. It came with the RMW cookie which I will be eating as dessert tonight (reviews to come).

I went with the 944 rear. We have amazingly warm front this weekend but of course 90% rain so the rear replacements will have to wait for now. Really ready to replace the rear so I can start figuring stuff out. Anyways just an update have a good weekend all.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

Little Update...

Well life got in the way and I finally got around to getting addressing the CV that fell off the driver outboard side. I started 2 weeks ago... realized they weren't 12 point ... ordered some hex on amazon. Then got bad weather/reserve annual training.

Today was the first good day I had off with good enough weather to get under neath it. Got the axle out and cleaned everything up and realized that 3 of the bolts broke off inside. So now I am off to lowes to get something to extend the drill bit so I can try to extract them.

Djkeev - Looks like they have schoor washers on them. Guessing the other 3 weren't torqued down properly and backed out... and the remaining 3 tried to hold on for dear life.

I will post some pictures up later hopefully I can get it out before it gets too dark out. Working on the side of the road in front of the house isn't the same as it was when I was 18 and im only 32. The enthusiasm and glamour just isn't the same anymore lol.

Back in a few hours either happy or really pissed.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

I would use a left hand drill bit, as those bolts should come out quite easily without any torque holding them in place.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

Well good luck from a 57 year old that will be out in a junk yard on a rainy day unbolting parts from a Supra for our new project car. So I hope you shot some penetrating oil into the stubs to help you with the loosening and agree with the reverse bit. There are also a number of extraction tools that seem suited to this - a relatively easy job since you can clean out the other end of the threads with a pick and brake cleaner straw, then shoot penetrating oil there also. Best.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Van in gear will not move Reply with quote

Yes try a left hand drill. If the bolts don't back out on their own while being drilled, once the holes are deep enough to accept a torx bit a bit large than the bit, hammer the torx bit into the hole and screw the broken piece out. You probably wouldn't need to drill the hole deep enough to use a normal extractor, for as mentioned there is no torque holding the bolts in place any more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: