Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What's everyone's opinions on RatRods?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of Rat Rods?
They are awesome!
22%
 22%  [ 16 ]
They are lame.
35%
 35%  [ 25 ]
I could take them or leave them.
42%
 42%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 71

adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

I have, since I have been a kid, a huge fan of RatRods. Although I feel like I am drawn to them not as a fashion statement, but more of as an interesting way to cheaply fix problems you run into while owning a classic car. One thing I never liked personally was the removed fenders chopped look that people do to bugs. But if it floats your boat go for it.

But when I see someone using a street sign to patch a hole, or mix matched parts, strapped down hoods or nice patina, I love it. I don't know why. I personally have been slowly ratting out my 74 bug that I picked up from some guy who wanted to crush it because it was 'unsavable' according to him. I got it for a couple hundred dollars, it ran like a champ but the body was pretty damn bad. Now I have the hood leather strapped down like an old Morgan, floor boards chained up with wooden boards, the rusty/dented up hood has been painted with chalkboard paint so people can write on er, the glove box latch broke, now it has a front door chain lock on it, just silly stuff like that. I'll get some pictures up when I get the chance. All in, I spent maybe $150 in parts turning a non running junkyard car into a spring/summer daily driver (no heat at all and it is a little drafty so no only occasional winter use)

This is my kind of rat rod (not mine, but one that I would love to have)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

Not my car but if you paid for it what you do is your business, you answer to no one nor do you seek approval, I hope Very Happy
FullFender
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

This is gonna be interesting Popcorn
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

I prefer a stock VW.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

It takes all kinds to support the hobby from purists, to enthusiasts, racers, guys that like the nostalgia of driving a classic daily, to weekend warriors that love a hot street car to cruise in. So whatever floats your boat and saves a classic from the junkyard or gets the younger generation interested in the hobby get out there and do it.
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

It's all personal taste and opinion. Some like blondes, some like brunettes, some like body art, some like the librarian type, some like ketchup while some prefer mustard. Do what makes you happy as long as it doesn't affect others.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

It's fine if you don't have the money for a restoration of the vehicle you own. I'd rather see a rusty VW being driven, then rot into the ground behind someone's garage.

It's those that take decent cars/panels, and create a rat rod look are the ones that are turn offs to me. I saw a bare metal Beetle at a car show that the person then cleared over the bare metal. Sorry, I just don't get it... If you take the time to strip the original paint, and have bought one of the most expensive components of a paint job, the clear coat, why not paint the car if you've done more than half of the work after you've bought a 1/4 of the coatings? To each there own, it's just not for me.

And the tattered shop logo sanded down to look 50 years old on the door has been beaten to death.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

They are awesome when they are real. Meaning like OP saving a bug from the crusher by any means necessary. Or like my primer bombed ratty super which is nothing more or less than a reflection of where it stands today. I hope it wont always be a rat but its mine, and I love it as it is until its something else. I like my well worn jeans too. Very Happy Oh, that reminds me... remember those squarish patches that mom used to iron on the holes in the knees of our jeans? Those things were like cardboard. Lol. I digress.

For whatever reason I`m not so into the fake patina, any more than stonewashed jeans. Its art, so worthy of appreciation, just not my taste when its an illusion. Rat is real.

What Im trying to say is I like cardboard jeans, either because they are brand new stiff and bleed blue in the rain, or because they have patches on the knees that won`t bend.

Oh!!! Remember those Rolling Stones lips patches? When I was a kid my neighbor`s hot daughter used to watch us occasionally and she had one of those sewn right on the front of her jeans. So cool. She`s probably in a lift assist chair by now. Bet shes still cute though. But, I digress.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

I wouldn't personally own a Rat, but I would proudly park my beetle right next to your Rat as much as I would a fully restored Bug.

"Beauty is the eye of the beholder"
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
I wouldn't personally own a Rat, but I would proudly park my beetle right next to your Rat as much as I would a fully restored Bug.

"Beauty is the eye of the beholder"

^^^^^
This, yes.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

Here’s my take.

Concourse to junkyard rescue if you are wrenching on it and having fun it’s cool.

The only exception to this is when you take a car and intentionally make it shittier than it was to try to fit in with a new trend. That is hella lame.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

To each their own. I just like seeing another persons interpretation of art! I always enjoy seeing another enthusist doing something, rather than doing nothing or making a stink about someone doing something.

Love it man! Enjoy your car and hobby!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
kokanee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

Krochus wrote:
Here’s my take.

Concourse to junkyard rescue if you are wrenching on it and having fun it’s cool.

The only exception to this is when you take a car and intentionally make it shittier than it was to try to fit in with a new trend. That is hella lame.

I agree with this
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

I love to see all Bugs alive, well and the road. To that end.....

I love 'em! Very Happy
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

While I have a pristine 54 Oval, I do enjoy making modifications to "make it better". Realizing this is always subjective.

I really like seeing the ingenuity that any builder uses to make their personal to them. I would personally get tired of a bone stock car. While I've never owned one, or had any desire to go that direction myself, I do like checking them out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

I saw a post on Face book. it said "when you park your car and your walking away, if you don't look back at it, you bought the wrong car" It was a nice warm day today and i took me 66 out and caught myself looking back.
adam78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone! I agree that as long as the hobby is alive in the air cooled world, then all is well. No matter what your taste in cars are. But I do have a penchant for cars that are held together with gum and ingenuity because the owner loves the car but cant afford a perfect one or to restore it himself. Most likely because I am that kind of owner haha. I would love an all original or restored oval, but my bank account means I need to get creative with what was once someone elses garbage lol. I love hearing opinions of people and what makes them tick, must be the anthropologist in me.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

As mentioned to each there own I get it.
Earlier today visited with a local fellow whom built an American iron RatRod. Ok here is the young man who now has the cover of RatRod magazine photo and write up. Interesting young man. So good for him.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

I like a WELL DONE ratrod more than I like fender skirts installed on a car they were never meant for............ :2gunfire:
mikec4193
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: What's everyone's opinions on RatRods? Reply with quote

I love rat rods too...the aged patina finishes I think are awesome...this is my latest VW...I was thinking about not painting it and just letting it age...one of the previous owners stripped all the paint off of it...if it ever sees a rain storm again it will start to get that patina-ed look about it...here is one I saw online on the VolksAmerica website....

The rat traps are not cool IMHO...something semi safe with the old finish...now that is cool...

MikeC
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: