Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gray Wires in 79 Steering Column
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Gray Wires in 79 Steering Column Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what the gray wires in the steering column are for? I can't seem to find them on the Bentley wiring diagram anywhere. In other places it looks like they connect to he marker and tail lights, but I don't see where it would connect to the column.

Referring to the three gray wires on the left. Gray red, gray black and gray.

Thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Wires in 79 Steering Column Reply with quote

The only wiring in the column are the wiper switch, the turn signal switch and emergency flasher, the horn, and the ignition switch.

They are all shown here:

Double click to enlarge
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Wires in 79 Steering Column Reply with quote

Hmm... so these are just extras? For some other use that wasn't included in this vehicle?
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Wires in 79 Steering Column Reply with quote

They're for an intermittent wiper mode (separate wiper relay required) and a motorized washer pump.

Earl Grey
'87 GoWesty 2.2 Westfalia

Marsha Mellow
'00 Eurovan VR6 Full Camper
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Wires in 79 Steering Column Reply with quote

Indeed! That is one rare bear, there. That is the most deluxe functional switch ever. Take care of it! Smile
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Wires in 79 Steering Column Reply with quote

BayCreamPuff wrote:
They're for an intermittent wiper mode (separate wiper relay required) and a motorized washer pump.

Thanks! I was getting tired of looking at the book and not seeing what I expected I should be seeing.
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Wires in 79 Steering Column Reply with quote

IPC carries them, not sure why I haven't seen anyone else carry this version.

http://www.ipconlinestore.com/vw-bus-1974-1979-wiper-switch-swf.html

The price has about doubled since I ordered it from them a few years back. It says aftermarket, but at least mine was SWF.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
BayCreamPuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Gray Wires in 79 Steering Column Reply with quote

I apologize. I was looking at the wrong side of your switch. The wiper wires are on the left side of your photo (yours does not have the extra wires on that side). I believe those grey wires coming from the turn signal switch are used for side marker lights in other countries. The front side markers in the US are just reflectors.

Earl Grey

Marsha Mellow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: