Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Something some of you might find usefull
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Any of you who have read any of my posts know that the wife and I like to travel the mountains of West Virginia and Virginia. Places like Cass Scenic Railroad
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
or view the valleys from the Blue Ridge Parkway
. Well, that means we're away from Elwood's garage and a lot of my tools. What tools we carry are in the trunk.

Now, I know that most of you have read 'horror stories' about what happens if the original trunk release cable breaks. I know I have and, perhaps it's because I'm old, I worry about this happening when we're on the road. Well, here's what I did to help me get over my paranoia.

I started with a piece of 3/32 inch stainless steel cable and ran it through an existing hole in the latch, made a loop and cinched it with a crimp fitting

Then, I drilled a 1/8 inch hole about 1 1/2 inches below the second bolt up that attaches the passenger front fender to the body. That little piece of tape just keeps the cable from 'flopping around'.

Under the fender, I made another loop and cinched it with a crimp fitting.

Now, all I have to do, if the main cable breaks, is reach under the passenger side front fender and pull the loop.

This arrangement, in no way, affects the normal operation of the existing cable with the release in the glove box. I've tried it several times.

Now, I hope I never have to use this new cable but I feel a whole lot better knowing I can get into my trunk even if the 48 year old factory one breaks.

By the by, this took about an hour to install.

Well, if any of you suffer from my same paranoia, maybe this will help you sleep better.

Wishing you all a good day. Laughing

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Great pics. My goal this year is to take my 74 onto Skyline Drive in Virginia.

Simple idea with the trunk release too.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Clean and simple. Thanks Mort. Smile
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
garyloos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Great idea. Thanks

1972 Super Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

It would be easier to remove the original cable and oil it every 5 years and not worry about it instead of waiting for it to fail. Just what I do.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

all the oil in the world won't help if the plastic tube breaks
NevadaVandal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Nice Vdub. Does the rain drip on the window really work??
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

NevadaVandal wrote:
Nice Vdub. Does the rain drip on the window really work??

If you're asking about the 'drip guards' over the door windows, yes. I smoke a pipe and, with the window down about an inch, it draws the smoke out so my wife doesn't have to breathe it even if it's raining.

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Looks like it would do the trick.

It’s apparent that the stock cables did/do break, or Bentley never would have added a section on sawing the handle in three parts, etc. So why not be prepared?

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

I did similar last year on my 1970. Or my 1971 Super. Or both, can't remember.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

On the 914, if locked out of front trunk, remove the bumper to gain access to the latch.

I like your idea of the emergency pull wire

Keep a Buggin.

PS nice train/Bug photograph!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
I did similar last year on my 1970. Or my 1971 Super. Or both, can't remember.

It's really tough getting old..........just wait another 10 or 15 years.....it don't get no better. d'oh!

mort

Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:

What does the plastic tube breaking have to do with the lock release not working??? If you notice the plastic tube breaking you replace the tube or cable BEFORE the steel cable breaks, that's why you service it so you can keep track of it condition.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
volksworld wrote:

What does the plastic tube breaking have to do with the lock release not working??? If you notice the plastic tube breaking you replace the tube or cable BEFORE the steel cable breaks, that's why you service it so you can keep track of it condition.

if the tubing fails, you may still be able to open the trunk, although you may have to pull the cable out further than normal to do so. of course the cable may be prone to get caught on something if it comes out of a failed tube.

but you are correct, loss of the plastic tube along should not prevent trunk opening.

at least you later model Bug owners can access the fuel filler without opening the trunk., stuck trunk can lead to a no go situation in an early Bug.

Good Luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Plastic tubing can be purchased by the foot at Ace Hardware.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Very nice. You used the same cable I use for throttle cables.

Max
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

I did a very similar second release even though I basically have a "new" bug. Just peace of mind whether I ever need it or not.
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Looks good Mort! Very simple solution.

One humble addition to the design: a rubber grommet or dab of silicone at the new drilled hole. To help protect that bare metal from the elements.

I'd just hate to see Elwood with unnecessary rust bubbles popping up.
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

AlmostHeavenWV_VW wrote:
Looks good Mort! Very simple solution.

One humble addition to the design: a rubber grommet or dab of silicone at the new drilled hole. To help protect that bare metal from the elements.

I'd just hate to see Elwood with unnecessary rust bubbles popping up.

Already done that.....just forgot to mention it in the original write up but thanks for the reminder.

Well, there's been over 500 viewings of the thread so, if only one or two get out of trouble with my suggestion, that will be some 'pay back' for all the help the folks on here have given Elwood and me over the years.

Thanks to all,

mort

finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Something some of you might find usefull Reply with quote

Just might prevent this happening....! I think they misunderstood the remedial method of cutting the handle. Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: