Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How do I remove this radio?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: How do I remove this radio? Reply with quote

‘67 Type I Saphire AM radio. I’m sending it for repair but I don’t want to break anything getting it out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

•’67 Type I mostly original semi daily driver (temperature permitting 🔥☀️)
•’74 Type I work in progress.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove this radio? Reply with quote

Pull the knobs off the front and you will see the nuts that hold the radio and the face plate in the dash.

Make note of where the wiring is connected in the trunk. Be careful removing the antenna cable. You can pull the connector off if it's stuck.

In the trunk remove the nut that is strapped to the back of the radio chassis and loosen the bolt above it at the windshield wiper motor. Swing the bracket out of the way and gently slide the radio out of the opening. Be careful not to scratch the radio. It appears to be in good nick.

Good Luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove this radio? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Pull the knobs off the front and you will see the nuts that hold the radio and the face plate in the dash.

Make note of where the wiring is connected in the trunk. Be careful removing the antenna cable. You can pull the connector off if it's stuck.

In the trunk remove the nut that is strapped to the back of the radio chassis and loosen the bolt above it at the windshield wiper motor. Swing the bracket out of the way and gently slide the radio out of the opening. Be careful not to scratch the radio. It appears to be in good nick.

Good Luck.

So just grab the knobs and pull? I tried that earlier but they seemed pretty snug so I figured I’d ask before I broke something.

scubaseas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove this radio? Reply with quote

Quote:
So just grab the knobs and pull? I tried that earlier but they seemed pretty snug so I figured I’d ask before I broke something.

Yes. Pull straight back. Someone may have glued them on. Best of luck.

08/1970 T2a Westphalia owned since 1980

ASE Master certification. 50 years pushing a wrench
Retired
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove this radio? Reply with quote

Yes, they should pull straight off. They've probably been on there for 50 years, so not surprised they are snug.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove this radio? Reply with quote

And don’t throw the radio away- it is now a collector item for anyone who wants a period correct Sapphire radio, for their car or for their collection. Check the classifieds on this site to see what people are asking for that model.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove this radio? Reply with quote

Disconnect ground wire to your battery first!
If you can listen to that radio with the ignition off- be safe. Electrical fires claim more VWs than divorces.

If you cannot pull the knobs off- try this: make a loop with a long shoelace, slip it behind the knob, and twist until it is a tight braid from end to end. Pull the two ends and- voila'- knobs are off. Two hands pull straighter than one.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove this radio? Reply with quote

of course check for set screws on the knobs, usually not present, but every now and then someone slips on a knob with a set screw. Happened on my 63 Bus.

good luck9

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove this radio? Reply with quote

Nuts

Example with right side pulled off - nut is super rusty looking here

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrm1080
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I remove this radio? Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
And don’t throw the radio away- it is now a collector item for anyone who wants a period correct Sapphire radio, for their car or for their collection. Check the classifieds on this site to see what people are asking for that model.

No danger of that my friend. I’m getting it restored. 😉

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: