Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First VW Project
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: First VW Project Reply with quote

This is my first VW build. I am planning on making a clean little manx out this old rust bucket. So far I have had the swing axle rebuilt, cleaned the pan, new swing axle mounts, new tie rod ends, new pedals, brake lines, brake shoes, and spray painted everything. I am waiting on my 3" body lift to get here. I have run into one problem. As you can see in the pics the tunnel has been cut to make room for the shift rod. Is this normal for a shortened car? It shifts nicely through all of the gears, but when you look at the side profile the shift rod is meeting the shift shaft at an angle. Its not terrible but it is off. The shift rod has been re mounted to the cup that the shifter goes into at an angle. Would you guys run it like this or come up with a better solution?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Your Buggy has a '56 Beetle frame. It looks pretty nice overall, but I don't see an emergency brake. Your front beam is later, early '60's and your brakes have been replaced with parts of similar vintage all around (they appear to be '58-'64 type brakes, could be '65-'67 brakes.) The frame is not normally hacked like that to allow the shifter linkage to fit. You have a later transaxle ('61 up style case) and it is likely they kept the later front Beetle mount and bolted it to the existing, older type, frame front mount. That raises the nose of the transaxle (and lowers the engine.) The correct way to handle that is use a '60-'67 Bus nose cone and mount on the Beetle transaxle, then the shift rod would fit nicely in the frame through the factory hole below the current slot.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Your Buggy has a '56 Beetle frame. It looks pretty nice overall, but I don't see an emergency brake. Your front beam is later, early '60's and your brakes have been replaced with parts of similar vintage all around (they appear to be '58-'64 type brakes, could be '65-'67 brakes.) The frame is not normally hacked like that to allow the shifter linkage to fit. You have a later transaxle ('61 up style case) and it is likely they kept the later front Beetle mount and bolted it to the existing, older type, frame front mount. That raises the nose of the transaxle (and lowers the engine.) The correct way to handle that is use a '60-'67 Bus nose cone and mount on the Beetle transaxle, then the shift rod would fit nicely in the frame through the factory hole below the current slot.

Man thanks for the info. I really appreciate it. The title says its a 69 haha. Well i guess i will try to round up those parts. Is it possible to replace the nose in frame?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

You can also replace front transaxle chassis mount with 61 and later design for type 1 chassis...

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Weld-In-Front-Transmission-Mount-Bracket-111701173-p/111-701-173.htm

And ditch the urethane coupler, and get standard (OEM) style shift rod coupler...

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Shift-Coupler-1946-64-Type-1-1950-67-Type-2-p/111-711-175b.htm

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

To make the front mount change you will have to pull the transaxle, but there isn't much to that when you have it apart like you do. That is a cute little starter on the transaxle, really short.

With the transaxle removed you can either weld the later type mount onto your frame and run the transaxle with the Beetle mount, or you can switch to the Bus nose cone and mount. The Bus parts are available new from a number of places because that swap is pretty common. If you want to change the frame mount you can cut from a '61-?? (seventy something) Bug being scrapped or buy that part new from a few places.

Most people recommend you keep the rubber transaxle mounts to minimize noise. I prefer to run my buggy with solid mounts -- which reminds me there is another option. There is an adapter front mount that will allow your transaxle to sit at the right height without making any changes to your frame or transaxle. This is what what the standard solid mount for a '61 up transaxle in a '61 up Bug looks like.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
To make the front mount change you will have to pull the transaxle, but there isn't much to that when you have it apart like you do.

With the transaxle removed you can either weld the later type mount onto your frame and run the transaxle with the Beetle mount, or you can switch to the Bus nose cone and mount. The Bus parts are available new from a number of places because that swap is pretty common. If you want to change the frame mount you can cut from a '61-?? (seventy something) Bug being scrapped or buy that part new from a few places.

Most people recommend you keep the rubber transaxle mounts to minimize noise. I prefer to run my buggy with solid mounts -- which reminds me there is another option. There is an adapter front mount that will allow your transaxle to sit at the right height without making any changes to your frame or transaxle. This is what what the standard solid mount for a '61 up transaxle in a '61 up Bug looks like.

F##kin eggs bacon thats what i need. Thanks guys!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Nice find and great project!

Last edited by oprn on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:23 am; edited 2 times in total
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:

And ditch the urethane coupler, and get standard (OEM) style shift rod coupler...

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Shift-Coupler-1946-64-Type-1-1950-67-Type-2-p/111-711-175b.htm

Dale

When I buy parts, I usually buy more than one of each item at a time because I build a lot of buggies, and it saves on shipping. Last summer I stocked up on a lot of small parts like shift rod adjusters, trans mounts, fuel caps, beam adjusters and so forth. I bought three of those at once and they are absolute junk. I will carry one in my spare parts when I travel, but I will not put them on any buggy I build. I am still living and learning I guess.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Can you share a few pictures of the area tunnel that was shortened? It looks a bit suspect.

I added a parking brake back to my buggy and it turned out very nice.

Cut a hole

Weld in some homemade brackets

There is more described here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691399&highlight=

Good progress
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Can you share a few pictures of the area tunnel that was shortened? It looks a bit suspect.

I added a parking brake back to my buggy and it turned out very nice.

Cut a hole

Weld in some homemade brackets

There is more described here https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=691399&highlight=

Good progress

I believe you are talking about that extra weld job on the tunnel. Someone cut the tunnel to do god knows what. I just beat it back into place and welded it up. I have seen some really clean shortening jobs, but this was done in the mid 70s. I can tell they used a stick welder. I forgot to mention this car has been passed around like a joint in my family. My dad bought/built it in the late 70s early 80s. My sister rolled it in the late 80s. I started the rehab in 2002 and had to move so it went to my moms house and sat until last September. My dad is no longer with us, but I am trying to put this thing together for myself/sons/nephew. I dont think they did to bad of a job. There is no ebrake and when i replaced the rear brake cylinders and shoes i noticed all of the ebrake components are gone. I may run a line lock I am not sure.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

I got the lift yesterday in the mail. I am waiting on the trans mount to fix the shift rod angle. I also picked up some beards off clist for 200 bucks with monts and crow harnesses.

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Cheeze,

Great score on the seats!

Think more about adding a mechanical e-brake (if going street legal) as I think the requirement is to have independent secondary braking.

I have had my brakes "fade" from a leaking seal and it was very surprising.

It was ~ $50 to buy a handle and new cables for the buggy.

Keep up the good work.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Dale M. wrote:
You can also replace front transaxle chassis mount with 61 and later design for type 1 chassis...

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Weld-In-Front-Transmission-Mount-Bracket-111701173-p/111-701-173.htm

Dale

Thanks, I was gonna make one but for 20 bucks from jbugs you cant beat it. Everything is line up and shifting is a lot tighter.

Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

I am gonna patch up that piece that got cut out and figure out my pedals then time for motor and body. Woo Hoo
brettsvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Cheeze wrote:
This is my first VW build. I am planning on making a clean little manx out this old rust bucket.

Her facial expession tells it all, seeing a rusty hulk in the garage.

Besides needing some luv the pan is a great start.

My 59 kombi build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635003&highlight=

My buggy build.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=558601&highlight=

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

I got a little time today to start fitting the body and the lift on to the pan. I am liking it. More than enough room for 33s in the back. Do you guys think the stock front spindles will hold up with 31s?

heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Great progress, the kids must be super stoked!

Looks good.
Cheeze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

So i took my pedals apart to get all of the rust off and I am having a hard time getting them back together correctly. I have searched for a write up but I have not found one. I have a brand new set of pedals for later model bugs but the clutch cable does not line up good. Has anyone ran the newer assembly with no issues? I would like to use the newer pedals but if anyone could shed some light on why my clutch pedal keeps falling toward the floor that would be great.
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Falling towards the back of the car? You're pedal stop is missing or not adjusted properly. In front (front of the car) of the pedals on the chassis floor is a bolt hole and a small L shaped piece of metal with a slot in it bolts there to stop the clutch pedal from falling.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: First VW Project Reply with quote

Cheeze wrote:
So i took my pedals apart to get all of the rust off and I am having a hard time getting them back together correctly. I have searched for a write up but I have not found one. I have a brand new set of pedals for later model bugs but the clutch cable does not line up good. Has anyone ran the newer assembly with no issues? I would like to use the newer pedals but if anyone could shed some light on why my clutch pedal keeps falling toward the floor that would be great.

As EVfun mentioned . . . your pan is early.
You have discovered that there are compatibility issues using the later pedals.
Here is how the original pedals and stop-plates interact . . .

The early stop-plates bolt into the holes that are seen in the left of this photo . . .

The late stop-plate will not be in the correct position if bolted using the existing holes in an early pan.
It would be easy enough to add the provision to your floor pan for a later stop-plate.

Moving the clutch cable tube inside the tunnel . . . not as easy.
Here's how long the early pedal assy. extends into the tunnel . . .

Here's a late pedal assy. for comparison . . .

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: