Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double cab
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lawm81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Double cab Reply with quote

Apologies if this post is in the wrong section (mod please let me know where it has moved to).
Recently saw a Double cab driving down the road and IMMEDIATELY feel in love with it. I want one. Never before had I seen one driving only in photos and the photos do it no justice. So I have been looking constantly online for them and when I think I have found one, its been sold. Oddly enough there is one being sold here near Chicago but during my research I found the same one that was sold two years ago states away. Me being somewhat pessimistic I immediately thought it was a bogus Double cab and the owner is trying to get what he spent on it, not to mention the shop that is advertising it for sale doesn’t have the best reviews on one platform.
My question is how do I spot fugazi (fake) or Brazilian one from a real German? What are a handful of obvious and not so obvious I should be looking for? I will be looking through old posts after I submit this one but any and all help is appreciated.
I’m hooked on the Double Cab!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

There are very few Brazilian Double Cabs as most Brazilian Buses seem to be 15-Windows but if you see one, it will probably be a massive hack job made from a full-size Bus and look like garbage compared to pics of a real Double Cab.

Review this dedicated Double Cab thread for tons of pics of originals:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343879

If you find one for sale and have questions, feel free to post here or contact me directly via email or PM if you want to keep things private but still get some more experienced eyes looking at it.
I won't steal it out from under you, I already have one. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

On the subject of fakes... Luckily, double cabs aren't so rare that they warrant fakes. Passenger buses are tremendously easier to fake because almost all the work involved happens above the beltline. There are way too many metal and welding feats to perform to make a fake DC- quite literally from top to bottom, cab to rear vents.

While boning up on the most practical vehicle VW ever built- visit the threads on 'Binz' double cabs. You'll develop a huge love for these rigs right away. Good luck in your search!

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

... double cabs are the best... singles are great too.
when you have found one you like, post some pix here and i'll bet a lot-o-guys will chime in.
I have had 2 DCs and never thought of a fake.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lawm81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. Thought I found one but turns out it was sold while back, site was never updated, as it was a service posting along with the dealership.
Recently saw a green one for sale on eBay but all the undercoating with parts on make me wonder if they are hiding something. Looks fresh but lots of people watching it. Plus to far to gamble on it.
Pretty interesting red and black bay window for sale in central Cali, wonder why it’s not on this site?
Anyway off to Jefferson swap meet this weekend to hunt for one.

https://photos.motorcar.com/used-1968-volkswagen-p...-3-640.jpg
Z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

lawm81 wrote:
wonder why it’s not on this site?

This is not directed at that particular bus, but I have often seen VW's advertised elsewhere but not here, and figured the seller didn't want that many knowledgeable eyeballs on their vehicles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lawm81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

Quote:
"figured the seller didn't want that many knowledgeable eyeballs on their vehicles".

thats what I'm saying

has anyone seen this DC at a show or in person?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ctd/d/1965-volkswagen-transporter/6567018229.html

thanks
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

Double Cabs are the best and are extremely useful for hauling and can hold up to 6 people. They get an amazing amount of attention when you drive it. I read the wanted ad you placed on here so it sounds like you are more interested in a custom one instead of a stock one. If you want two tone paint these never came in two tone paint from the factory.

I think I have seen the yellow and white one at a CA show before, but I do not remember any details.

This one looks great in the photos, but you need to ask for way more photos before you drop $40k on it.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2162138

I would want to see multiple photos of the under side to make sure that are is dry and not hacked up. It is air ride you you can air it up more if you think it sits too low.

If you prefer more of a stock truck then I like this one on this site.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2089012

If you want one for a much lower price that you can take to a shop and have repainted to your specs I really like this one. This truck is also more sought after for the smaller bullet front turn signals and smaller silver dollar size tail lights.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2165325
lawm81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

Thanks for looking.
Blue one gone months ago
Green one not quite my style
Other one b to much work that I could take on
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

lawm81 wrote:
has anyone seen this DC at a show or in person?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ctd/d/1965-volkswagen-transporter/6567018229.html

We already spoke via email but I thought it might be helpful or motivational for others for me to post here as well.

I can't recall seeing it in person but on this Double Cab I wouldn't buy it without seeing it in person to check for possible Bondo filler.
Why?
1. It looks like a quickie paint job as I see numerous things that are oversprayed instead of thoughtful disassembly - front pedal seals, rear door latch, and so on
2. The body line on the driver's side upper roof line is crooked.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Additionally:
The rear seat is incorrect and appears that someone made it to fit in there, although the metal base does look correct.

There are probably other things too but those items jumped out at me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lawm81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

License plate area in back already has paint faded from sun and only a couple years on the paint job I was told
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

If you buy a double cab that claims to be fully restored- find out if the restorer was a VW guy or just an all-brands MacGyver fan like the one who did the yellow and white thing. There's a BIG difference.

That rear seat is straight out of a school bus. And that's just the beginning of problems. You could link possible buses directly to the whines threads if you want scrutiny.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
lawm81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
If you buy a double cab that claims to be fully restored- find out if the restorer was a VW guy or just an all-brands MacGyver fan like the one who did the yellow and white thing. There's a BIG difference.

current seller says he has no known history that's how he bought it

Hope the school bus was yellow

how do i link this on going thread?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

lawm81 wrote:
how do i link this on going thread?

Do you mean what is a link to this thread?
This is a link to the overall thread, if you want to save it or bookmark it in your browser:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698533
lawm81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

I read it as adding a link to this current one but having it appear in another category without starting a new thread. What he ment was just post the web address in another thread in the whines topics?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Double cab Reply with quote

Yes, if you want to link to this "Double Cab" thread in another thread, you can use the link I posted above.

If you want to ask about a car here or in the Whines thread, post a link to the Vehicle ad in either place, same as you posted the craigslist ad link above.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: