Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Plexiglass Popouts?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Plexiglass Popouts? Reply with quote

I have access to a laser cutter that can cut plexiglass to shape and thought about making my own pop out glass. I can even etch in my own logo! IS there a reason this is a bad idea? I don't think it cuts big enough to do everything but I can do most of the glass in my bus I think?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Plexiglass Popouts? Reply with quote

Go ahead, no one will know unless they knock on them or they get hazed up from improper cleaning methods. Acrylics are a PITA to keep clean without scratching, keep that little Doh! moment in mind. Care for them properly and they can last for many years and look just like glass.
They will expand and contract more than glass, but if they are mounted in rubber that shouldn't be an issue, the weight you save may shave 1/100 off your 1/4 mile time too! Smile

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Plexiglass Popouts? Reply with quote

I guess I'll do some research on different types of Plexi. Maybe there is a more scratch resistant one that won't get messed up as fast.

Does anyone have exact dimensions of pop outs and maybe even the rest of the bus glass? Thanks.
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Plexiglass Popouts? Reply with quote

Years ago I got the bright idea to do plexiglass windows in a bus. They just did't look right, and they scratched easily, like when I was washing the bus.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deltabrent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Plexiglass Popouts? Reply with quote

I'd probably only do the pop outs? We will see from there anyways. Thanks for the input.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Plexiglass Popouts? Reply with quote

Are you talking about rimless windows or framed?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Plexiglass Popouts? Reply with quote

Huge marine aquariums use Plexiglass as well as personal aquariums. Yachts and ships can use plexiglass windows, portlights, windshields and storm covers for pounding through monster waves. You can buff the scratches. Think about Lexan too.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Plexiglass Popouts? Reply with quote

There's no issue with the strength of most plastics, the problem arises when people treat it like glass and wipe it when it's dry and gritty (it does attract dust due to static charge buildup), treat it like finely polished laquer and it'll look good for years. Avoid the ammonia based window cleaners too, read the care instructions carefully, keeping it waxed just like paint makes it last longer as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: